• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers' "Lightweight" Oxfords, Yay or Nay?

rilian

Reaction score
Just found these Brooks Brothers "Lightweight Leather Straight Captoe Bal" dress shoes. I quite like the look (slim profile, elongated form), but unsure of Brooks Brothers quality to value ratio for shoes. What do you guys think?
284H_Black_enlarged.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/57xuqt I also really like the look of To Boot's Bradbury Oxford: http://www.endless.com/dp/B001BFLZUM/ref=uwl But from what folks are saying in the forums, To Boot's quality is hit or miss. They're $375.95, is that overpriced? Thanks in advanced for the help.

rilian

Reaction score
No responses yet, so I'm assuming that's a "nay"! :)

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I like them, but not twice as much as AEs. For $468, I'd pass.

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
I like them, but not twice as much as AEs. For $468, I'd pass.

You're right they are a bit steep. However, the shoes on Allen Edmonds don't quite have as sleek a look as the Brook Brothers Lightweights.

I'm having a hard time finding sleek dress shoes that can be worn with dress pants or jeans. Zappos was no help. I've never bought a pair of dress shoes before, so perhaps I haven't been looking in the right online stores.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I don't think black balmorals are the right dress shoes for jeans, for one thing. I'd look at burgundy or brown shoes, and possibly bluchers for that purpose.

I haven't seen these in person, but from pics they appear to be only marginally sleeker than PAs. Allen Edmonds's photography does not do their shoes any favors, and I find the PAs to be dull, but still of a reasonably slim last. (Then again, I like Aldens so take that for what it's worth.)

In any case, I think you'd be better served with a pair of PAs and a pair of brown bluchers than a single pair of shoes for $468 if you're buying your first pair of dress shoes.

Hope that helps.

mikeber

Reaction score
Both brands offer decent quality. If you like them, go for it. They look sleek, elegant and probably lighter on the feet then some AE. With that in mind, the soles are thinner and probably not as durable. But don't expect too much for $300- 400 shoes. Assortment of models in this price range that are at the same time elegant, sleek, well made and durable is limited (as you probably found).

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Those soles look incredibly thin, and I wonder if they aren't glued on. I'd go with one of Martegani's standard-sole, blake rapid models first.

Thanks for the Martegani recommendations. Sorry to be naive, but what does "blake rapid" mean?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rilian
Thanks for the Martegani recommendations. Sorry to be naive, but what does "blake rapid" mean?

It's a method of stitching a sole to the upper. The stitching makes it superior to glued-on soles, and, unlike gluejobs, blake rapid shoes can be resoled.

smoothie

Reaction score
Don't ever pay retail

You can get literally 10 shoes for the price of that BB lightweight oxford.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found these Brooks Brothers "Lightweight Leather Straight Captoe Bal" dress shoes. I quite like the look (slim profile, elongated form), but unsure of Brooks Brothers quality to value ratio for shoes. What do you guys think?

They're $375.95, is that overpriced?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Wait for the sale - 25% off. BB has a great return policy, also.

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothie
Don't ever pay retail

You can get literally 10 shoes for the price of that BB lightweight oxford.

Hmm... Since the BB lightweights are $468, you mean there are $46 shoes available that are decent? I haven't come across anything decent less than $300. Maybe I'm not lookin in the right places.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
For the asking prices . . . . I personally think you can do much better . . . . don't buy any of those

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Those soles look incredibly thin, and I wonder if they aren't glued on. I'd go with one of Martegani's standard-sole, blake rapid models first.

My first impression was that these were cemented shoes as well.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... Since the BB lightweights are $468, you mean there are $46 shoes available that are decent? I haven't come across anything decent less than $300. Maybe I'm not lookin in the right places.

Probably a bit of hyperbole. However, one could find BB Peals, AEs, Marteganis, and other nicer shoes for 1/2 the price of those oxfords.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads