• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good value watch for under $300

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton Khaki automatic

cvac

Reaction score
Look for a quartz Tissot with a saphire crystal and 100M water resistance. I have had one for almost ten years with no problem.

BAB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cvac
Look for a quartz Tissot with a saphire crystal and 100M water resistance. I have had one for almost ten years with no problem.

totally agree

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No quartz please. If your budget is $30, OK sure. If your budget is $300, then definitely not.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
No quartz please. If your budget is $30, OK sure. If your budget is $300, then definitely not.

+1

in no particular order:

Seiko Divers, particularly Samurais and Monsters
Seiko 5
Christopher Ward
Hamilton Khakis (due to recent appreciation, prob pre-owned is a better deal)
used Seiko Prospex/Spirit
Poljot Chronographs

say no to:

GermanAsian brands (Sturling Original, Trias etc. in short, any watches you can buy off in-flight shopping mag)
most Invictas
replicas
quartz watches

samba

Reaction score
seiko 5 sports divers automatic. look at overstock.com. I have one as my "beater" watch and love it.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
+1

in no particular order:

Seiko Divers, particularly Samurais and Monsters
Seiko 5
Christopher Ward
Hamilton Khakis (due to recent appreciation, prob pre-owned is a better deal)
used Seiko Prospex/Spirit
Poljot Chronographs

say no to:

GermanAsian brands (Sturling Original, Trias etc. in short, any watches you can buy off in-flight shopping mag)
most Invictas
replicas
quartz watches

I second that.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way, I find Overstock.com has a good selection if you are looking to pick up a Hamilton (Khaki for $129?) or a seiko(diver auto for $220) or something like that.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMAG0102.jpg

I have this Sturhling Original and I really like it.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the japanses site that sells many of the Seiko watches that are Japan only? I thought i had it bookmarked but can't find it?

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I strongly disagree with this. Quartz vs mechanical is a personal choice. Both have advantages and disadvantages. To reject quartz (particularly 3rd generation high-frequency or thermo-compensated movements) is to reject the best timekeeping you can buy.

Whichever way you 'swing' on this one, Seiko is an excellent choice. Here's two examples in the diving watch arena:

Afb026.jpg

Mechanical (automatic) on the left, high-end quartz on the right. Both superb watches, both available within your budget.

If you'd prefer something more classically styled, a Spirit would be a good choice on the mechanical side (though might be a shade above your budget) or something like a SBQK079 for quartz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads