• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Again, I need some experts to ID this vintage Rolex

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last year, I posted a thread here seeking help to id a vintage Omega. Later I took this Omega to a local watch repair shop to get it fully restored. And I am happy with the result. See I was wearing it after the watch had been serviced.

Recently Mom & Dad had a trip to China. And Dad came back with the Rolex that I mentioned on the previous post. He apparently found it somewhere in my old home. According to my Dad, my grandpa bought this watch before the liberation (in 1949). Does anyone has any idea about this watch? What is the best way to get it restored?

P1010840.jpg

P1010839.jpg

P1010841.jpg

Thanks in advance.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the rolex forum on timezone

dl

lbcgav

Reaction score
What's with the frankenstein case? None of the lugs match. It looks like someone either repaired the watch using lugs from a different watch or they went a little crazy with sanding the lugs to remove any scratches. Either way, it appears it's been repaired...unless you have a very early version of an asymmetrical design.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lbcgav
What's with the frankenstein case? None of the lugs match. It looks like someone either repaired the watch using lugs from a different watch or they went a little crazy with sanding the lugs to remove any scratches. Either way, it appears it's been repaired...unless you have a very early version of an asymmetrical design.

Now you mentioned it, it looks like the upper right lug was replaced with a after market part, which does not match with the rest 3 lugs. And I can see the soldering trace left behind. I am wondering if I send this watch to Rolex, will they be able to fix that?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serial # seems to point to a 1940's production date indeed (1943-44).

The case front and lugs look like they've been messed up with - dial, movement and case back seem original to my untrained eye. I second the suggestion to post on TZ Rolex for real expert insight

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Serial # seems to point to a 1940's production date indeed (1943-44).

The case front and lugs look like they've been messed up with - dial, movement and case back seem original to my untrained eye. I second the suggestion to post on TZ Rolex for real expert insight

Thanks G!. I did post it on TZ as well, but have not received any replies yet. Any suggestions where/how to get it restored?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Thanks G!. I did post it on TZ as well, but have not received any replies yet. Any suggestions where/how to get it restored?

Just a bit of patience + maybe another post on thepurists

andyw

Reaction score
Nice workmanship on the movement and finishing on the case back.....I guess in this case no telling the book from the cover. I thought the watch was a fraud until looking at the pictures of the movement.

The good news from the pictures is that the watch could be authentic. A similar watch is listed on page 101 of "Wristwatches" by Brunner & Pfeiffer-Belli. That watch has similar steel casework, pencil hands and contains a 17 jewel mevement. I'll try to get a scan of the page up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads