• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark dress shirts

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that doesn't care for dark colored dress shirts?

I was looking through my closet today and noticed that all of my dress shirts are light colors. White, light blues, light blue with stripes, white shirts with blue stripes, light purple, etc. I just don't light the way dark colored shirts go with suits or even with just slacks.

Is there something wrong with me?
frown.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope!! I'm with ya.

Mostly whites and light blues (solid & patterned).

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. I've tried the look and to be perfectly honest didn't like it at all either...

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander

Is there something wrong with me?
frown.gif

I can't tell.

Why don't you try these shirts, make pics and post them?

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
I agree they dont go with everything thats for sure, but i did have a light blue suit that looked great with a dark denim blue colored shirt I owned. I own mostly white and lights as well but this is my one exception. Looks rather nice.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends, I guess.

Most of my formal dress shirts (read: dress shirts worn for work) tend to be patterns or shades of blue or white. Of course, I do have a handful few brightly colored ones (maroon, dark purple, pink, yellow etc) because I've an olive skin tone, and these colors look good on me.

However, that said, a lot of the dress shirts that I'd wear to clubs or for the nightlife tend to be dark or gray.

Sir James

Reaction score
The shirt is suppose to provide contrast. Nothing makes more contrast than white followed by light blue. Dark color shirts are good only if they have contrasting collars and sleeves. Otherwise the dark tones of the shirt will overpower the color of the suit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Nope!! I'm with ya.

Mostly whites and light blues (solid & patterned).

I'm not a fan of dark dress shirts, either.

R-H

Reaction score
Most (not all) dark dress shirts are terrible. Mustard, red, green, purple, black etc.

It is very much a Men's Warehouse/Moores look.

But there are exceptions.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are not wearing a coat, then I think a good-fitting dark dress shirt looks a bit less like underwear than a good-fitting light dress shirt.

If you are wearing a jacket, there's no good reason to wear a dark dress shirt. Dark dress shirts, esp. black ones, have become one of the worst cliches.

Ten years it might have been cool. Now the novelty has worn off, and it just looks bad.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I also favor dress shirts in light colors. For example solid french blue (although a popular "look") is not to my taste.

I might be ok with one dark color on a patterned shirt, but I still like it if the overall effect is light.

Shraka

Reaction score
I don't like them either, although the exception is when you're wearing them with a lighter suit. That can look good.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the early to mid-90s, I bought a black shirt that I would wear with a grey nailhead suit and a silver tie in the evenings for that goodfellas look.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shraka
the exception is when you're wearing them with a lighter suit. That can look good.
True, but always sans tie.

This looks good:

293.clooney.pitt.062008.jpg

This, not so much:

france1_2.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've seen Clooney's outfit on average-looking, slightly overweight men, in average-looking suits with washed-once/out black shirts. And it does not look good -- especially if they have gray/silver hair.

If you are a gorgeous man with a great smile and a near-perfect body, it might like good on you -- as in this example. But everything looks good on you.

Just my opinion of course

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads