• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gravati Versus Sargent

Markintosh

Reaction score
I'm looking into another pair of shoes from either Gravati or a pair from Sargant that is $200 less - any opinions on the difference quality/construction?

Sebastian

Reaction score
Don't own any Gravatis, but two Sargents.

I can only tell that AS shoes are absolutely underrated. Great shoes for the price you get them.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Design-wise, I almost think it's an apple to oranges comparison, though both shoes are brogues. I see the Gravati as being more of a city-ish shoe, with it's sleeker last. The AS with it's slightly "chunky" last is more of a more casual country shoe. Depends on what you want, really. I do like some brogues that have that heaviness to them, while by the same token, I also have brogues that have sleeker lasts. I wear them on different occasions.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
Design-wise, I almost think it's an apple to oranges comparison, though both shoes are brogues. I see the Gravati as being more of a city-ish shoe, with it's sleeker last. The AS with it's slightly "chunky" last is more of a more casual country shoe. Depends on what you want, really. I do like some brogues that have that heaviness to them, while by the same token, I also have brogues that have sleeker lasts. I wear them on different occasions.

Agree. But the sole determines both shoes to be a "country shoe". The Gravati combining the sole to the sleek last is kind of an oxymoron to me.

But only my 2cents.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
Agree. But the sole determines both shoes to be a "country shoe". The Gravati combining the sole to the sleek last is kind of an oxymoron to me.

But only my 2cents.

True; although it could be that Gravati had practicality in mind... Perhaps they thought of it as a autumn/winter shoe, where the additional tread would be welcomed in wet and/or icy conditions? I tend to look for at the upper as a guide to whether a shoe is "country" or "city", as that is often the first thing (and may be the only thing) that most of the non-sartorially minded really notice.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am very biased, but defintiely Gravati. I am wearing a similar pair today. Very light, very Italian, with supple leather. Can't go wrong.
Gravati005.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I am very biased, but defintiely Gravati. I am wearing a similar pair today. Very light, very Italian, with supple leather. Can't go wrong.

Those are sharp shoes, and I like the laces.

I often notice the softness of Gravati's leather. Seems like it would be very comfortable. But some of it is almost glove soft, and one used pair I came across this weekend looked extremely creased. Is this a common problem for such soft leathers?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought my first pair of Gravatis recently at a deep discount at the final sale at Stanley Korshak. I like them very much, although the pair I have have a very dramatic last. I'm not certain how long the styling will last, the construction quality seems good. For $200 or so that I paid for them I'm very happy.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Those are sharp shoes, and I like the laces.

I often notice the softness of Gravati's leather. Seems like it would be very comfortable. But some of it is almost glove soft, and one used pair I came across this weekend looked extremely creased. Is this a common problem for such soft leathers?

Thanks, Doc.

Regarding the creasing, I can only speak for my three pairs of Gravati, but they crease slightly less than EGs or Tramezzas. I did size down on all 3, however, so the fit is slightly snugger, almost glove like.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSN125
A little off topic but, for some reason this forum seriously underrates Gravati.

It's because you really can't get on sale in the United States frequently. But you can occasionally get AS shoes on sale (for one, they make a lot of Brooks Brothers).

So in reality, Gravati at full price vs. Sargent on sale is not a fair contest for those of us with limited dollars.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gravatis are well-made with very soft leathers. Their manufacturing standard is probably a little bit higher than Sargent.

Sargents however, may well be more durable due to their full welt construction and (usually) thicker sole leathers. They are made in a very traditional English way.

Given the OP's scenario (Gravatis cost $200 more), I would get the Sargents. But the styles are pretty different. The pictured Sargents are almost casual shoes.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Given the OP's scenario (Gravatis cost $200 more), I would get the Sargents. But the styles are pretty different. The pictured Sargents are almost casual shoes.

Well, I could see them paired with a nice 3 piece tweed suit. Not too casual I would say, but a very traditional english country style.

But some statements on the thread make me want to try out a pair of Gravatis... Any good sources?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
Thanks, Doc.

Regarding the creasing, I can only speak for my three pairs of Gravati, but they crease slightly less than EGs or Tramezzas. I did size down on all 3, however, so the fit is slightly snugger, almost glove like.

This surprises me. The Gravatis I have run slightly smaller than some of the other brands I own. If I had gone down a size I'd have needed baby oil and a trash compactor to get my foot into them in the mornings.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
This surprises me. The Gravatis I have run slightly smaller than some of the other brands I own. If I had gone down a size I'd have needed baby oil and a trash compactor to get my foot into them in the mornings.
lol8[1].gif
Mark, how recently did you buy your Gravatis? Could this have anything to do with the sizing of the newer models?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics