• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prank calls at 4 in the %^$#@# morning

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the last few days I have been getting calls from a private number between 3:30 Am and 4 am. Whoever it is just calls, I say something and they hang up. they (probably she) do it like 5 times or so until I pick up. Is there anyway to find out who is calling despite the phone been private?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
In the last few days I have been getting calls from a private number between 3:30 Am and 4 am. Whoever it is just calls, I say something and they hang up. they (probably she) do it like 5 times or so until I pick up. Is there anyway to find out who is calling despite the phone been private?

Sorry about that, with the time difference I didnt realize how late it was for you.

You know how it is. I get a few pints in me, and start drunk dialing for a booty call.

K

callen

Reaction score
If this is an ongoing issue, report it to the police and with that report the phone company should be able to help you.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by callen
If this is an ongoing issue, report it to the police and with that report the phone company should be able to help you.

Your police handle prank callers?

I would probably just turn off the phone ringer before going to bed. Or connect the phone line to a modem/fax machine.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you block all private numbers?

samblau

Reaction score
This is why I only have a cell...turned off or on silent during the night.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, only cell. Having a landline is useless for the most part. With a cell, I do not turn it off but put it on silent - so I can still see who calls in the morning.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Why don't you block all private numbers?

This is the solution of you want to just block this call - private callers can unblock their own caller ID block in order to get put through to you, and you'll know who's calling.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely ignore any calls where the number is blocked. They can leave a voice mail if it is legit. They never do.

If I know I am going to receive annoying calls while I sleep, I might leave the ringer on "blinking light" only mode.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I completely ignore any calls where the number is blocked. They can leave a voice mail if it is legit. They never do.

If I know I am going to receive annoying calls while I sleep, I might leave the ringer on "blinking light" only mode.

+ 1

You might also by a whistle and the moment you pick up the receiver: blow as hard as you can.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't have to block all private calls. (and I would never do so; what if someone you know needed to call you in an emergency?)

You should be able to tell the phone company to block just this one number.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
You don't have to block all private calls. (and I would never do so; what if someone you know needed to call you in an emergency?)

You should be able to tell the phone company to block just this one number.

How is he supposed to know the number?

jdcpa

Reaction score
+1 on all the advice to call the phone company. They are usually helpful for this sort of thing.

I had one incident of a prank phone call where I did call the police. Some jackass thought it would be really funny to call with a private number at 3:30a.m. and say "There was a kidnapping; we have some one you love; prepare $10,000; we will call back". Needless to say, I called the 5 or so people I carred about first (all fine) then the police. Since the caller was prepetrating a crime via the telephone the police responded very quickly. Turned out it was some punk kid (around 14-15yrs) in Nevada, randomly dialing numbers. The police said they called the the Nevada police and they did go and talk to the kid (showed me the police call report too) but didn't make a case of it.

Never got the call again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads