• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoe care supply checklist

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Is it possible to get a glaze shine on cordovan? I know that the mfg. recommend only occasional, light polishing.

Yes, but it will not get a mirror-like finish like calfskin. Still, it looks very nice. I polish my burgundy shoes with black polish.

I don't think there's anything wrong with polishing shell more often that the manufacturer recommends. The only downside I can see is the wax buildup in the creases that "flexes out" as you wear the shoes. I just brush it out before I leave for work, and do it again when I arrive at work.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RIDER
You did nothing wrong, don't worry. The situation with this particular pair is that the toe is corrected grain, so with no grain you get no heat build-up to layer a finish on.....it's already baked on. In order to get the glass effect you see here, you need a full grain upper to work with.

And I don't say corrected grain to criticize...most of us in the shoe business don't consider this as a negative like some here do. There is a place for everything, and this pattern is one where it looks great, as a compliment to the peccary or deer, depending on the maker.

Oh don't worry I didn't take offense, thanks because I was thinking I just did it wrong. The corrected grain leather explains it. I just ordered 2 pairs of C&J shoes so I'm guessing those will be full-grain which this glazing technique will work on.

thanks for your help.

creampiggy

Reaction score
Has anybody used Allen Edmonds shoe creams? How is it compared to Meltonian creams or similar brands? I can't find Meltonian creams in Toronto. Does anyone know where to purchase them?
ShoeCream.jpg

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by creampiggy
Has anybody used Allen Edmonds shoe creams? How is it compared to Meltonian creams or similar brands? I can't find Meltonian creams in Toronto. Does anyone know where to purchase them?
I use the Allen Edmonds shoe polish that comes in the toothpaste style tube. They're great because they have the applicator built right into it, so you just squeeze it out and work it in using sponge tip on the tube. Once it's dried, buff it down with a horse-hair brush and you're good to go. I believe it also serves to moisturize. It really produces a terrific gleam, it's not as messy as other options, and it's a real time-saver. I've tried a few other brands and I wouldn't go back to any of them.
2_549_I.jpg

creampiggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I use the Allen Edmonds shoe polish that comes in the toothpaste style tube. They're great because they have the applicator built right into it, so you just squeeze it out and work it in using sponge tip on the tube. Once it's dried, buff it down with a horse-hair brush and you're good to go. I believe it also serves to moisturize. It really produces a terrific gleam, it's not as messy as other options, and it's a real time-saver. I've tried a few other brands and I wouldn't go back to any of them.
2_549_I.jpg

Thanks for your suggestion, but I've got quite a few tins of Kiwi shoe wax already, and I'm looking for shoe cream now. Can anyone who used AE cream before give some comments? Thanks!

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion, but I've got quite a few tins of Kiwi shoe wax already, and I'm looking for shoe cream now. Can anyone who used AE cream before give some comments? Thanks!

I've used this and it seems to be fine. Having the applicator in the cap is handy. Creams won't give the nice glaze, but are fine for brushing out.

Just for the heck of it I ordered some Tricker's cream and C&J wax to try. Anyone use these?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to purchase them?

On internet?

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
I've used this and it seems to be fine. Having the applicator in the cap is handy. Creams won't give the nice glaze, but are fine for brushing out. Just for the heck of it I ordered some Tricker's cream and C&J wax to try. Anyone use these?
I use C&J wax, I think it works great. It's nice and smooth and leaves a good shine.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ziggyosk
I use C&J wax, I think it works great. It's nice and smooth and leaves a good shine.
\\

Thanks, zig - good to know.
I sent you a pm about your new shoes and have a further update if you want to pm me. JH

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Threads like this remind me of why StyleForum is so f***ing fantastic. Thanks to all who have contributed so meaningfully to this thread. I have learned a ton.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Threads like this remind me of why StyleForum is so f***ing fantastic. Thanks to all who have contributed so meaningfully to this thread. I have learned a ton.

Lesser members are, no doubt, most eager to take whatever crumb learned SF Seniors are willing to drop in their generous labors to guide the unsophisticated in proper thread contribution. One, for example, might foolishly surmise that a discussion of shoe polish was germane to a thread entitled: Shoe care supply checklist!
worship.gif

ziggyosk

Reaction score
I have some questions for all the pros.....

1. what do you shine your shoes on? I've been laying down some newspaper on the kitchen counter and it's a real pain. my shoes flop all over the place, especially when I buff them at the end. I have to hang the toe off the edge of the counter and have someone else hold them down.

2. Do you use shine boxes? if so how do they work, can I use them by myself and not have a problem? by looking at pictures of them it doesn't seem like they will stay on the pedistal if I go to buff them.

3. and do you leave your trees in your shoes when shining?

Lear

Reaction score
I deal with my shoes while I'm still wearing my sweaty, dirty gym clothing.

Switch the TV on and put an old blanket across the armchair.

Get comfy, shoes in lap and shine away.

I only use a brush to get the initial dirt off and a very quick shine. Then it's cotton balls all the way; for as close to a mirror shine as I can get. I still have a way to go to match some here
worship2.gif

I could never get the hang of the cotton cloth coiled around the finger. I always seemed to get a rough edge gouging into the wax.

I've learnt a LOT about shoe shining/care from reading this forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads