• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Actually I'm kind of casting about for a bottle of Kouros, and then maybe a bottle of Kama, and - if the sample's any good - a smallish bottle of Kitsune.

You won't find any disagreement from me about Kouros; lots of people hate it, but I think it's great. I miss my bottle... that may be another to pick up. Dammit!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dior's Eau Savage. Arrived yesterday. Bought because my wife remembers that she has always liked it (remind me not to ask why she knows it so well) and because Turin gave it a great review.
I am unimpressed, though I will give it a few more tries. On the plus side, it is helping me learn what I like by fixing what I don't like. I am thinking I don't especially love traditional masculines like this one or Pen's Douro (nee Lords) that have a bright citrus and spice feel (my guess is that this is from the Cologne branch of perfumery) and prefer a more sweet, musky and animalic scents with a deep drydown. That's why I like Sel de Vetiver so much, but also Habit Rouge Legere (the latter starts bright and citrusy, but then shifts to sweet and low while staying on key).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got the Luca Turin/Tania Sanchez book, which rekindled my interest.

Thierry Mugler cologne for today.

--Andre

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Andre, if you like the Mugler cologne, sometime you might also want to give Creed Original Vetiver a try...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^Andre, if you like the Mugler cologne, sometime you might also want to give Creed Original Vetiver a try...

Thanks! After work today, I was planning on a smelling spree at the mall to check out Turin's reference scents, and will add that to my list.

--Andre

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - a cooler morning, an easy four mile run, and a couple of sprays of Giorgio for Men.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Dior's Eau Savage. Arrived yesterday. Bought because my wife remembers that she has always liked it (remind me not to ask why she knows it so well) and because Turin gave it a great review.
I am unimpressed, though I will give it a few more tries. On the plus side, it is helping me learn what I like by fixing what I don't like. I am thinking I don't especially love traditional masculines like this one or Pen's Douro (nee Lords) that have a bright citrus and spice feel (my guess is that this is from the Cologne branch of perfumery) and prefer a more sweet, musky and animalic scents with a deep drydown. That's why I like Sel de Vetiver so much, but also Habit Rouge Legere (the latter starts bright and citrusy, but then shifts to sweet and low while staying on key).

Dior's Eau Savage again. I really want to give this a chance. An interesting observation. On the third wearing, I am starting to notice a bit more complexity and interest here.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Dior's Eau Savage again. I really want to give this a chance. An interesting observation. On the third wearing, I am starting to notice a bit more complexity and interest here.

I thought it might start shining through. It's a great scent.

Good news - I've divested a few bottles I'm starting to resent and have a small bottle of Kouros and Kouros Frascheur coming my way.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Sephora and Nordstrom last night and smelled the following:

A*Men
Angel
Bulgari Black
cK One
Cool Water
Gucci pour Homme
No. 5 parfum
Polo
Chanel Pour Monsieur
Shalimar
Terre d'Hermes
Guerlain Vetiver
Z Zegna

I'm slightly embarassed to say that Angel was my favorite, but I liked Guerlain Vetiver, Chanel Pour Monsieur, and Polo. Bulgari Black is intriguing, but I wouldn't know how to use it. If there's time tonight, more sniffing at Macy's.

--Andre

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ a lot of people like Angel, nothing embarrassing about that. The thing is: it's a men's scent all girlied up, and Angel and Lolita Lempicka both cross genders very easily.

Other than that - solid choices.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bois D' Argent by Christian Dior

EdenResident

Reaction score
So I went to Saks the other day and smelled pretty much everything they got. I liked these 2

Armani Code (yeah yeah it's probaly the Ed Hardy of colognes but it smells good to me)
John Varvatos Vintage

Solid choices?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
^^ a lot of people like Angel, nothing embarrassing about that. The thing is: it's a men's scent all girlied up, and Angel and Lolita Lempicka both cross genders very easily. Other than that - solid choices.
I agree; I really quite like Angel, both the men's and women's (which are very similar). I also like it's slightly more uptown cousin even better, Fresh Cannabis Santal. And, Ren, I LOVE Bois d'argent. It's one of my favorites for fall and I can't wait for it to get a little cooler so I can start using is more often.
Originally Posted by EdenResident
So I went to Saks the other day and smelled pretty much everything they got. I liked these 2 Armani Code (yeah yeah it's probaly the Ed Hardy of colognes but it smells good to me) John Varvatos Vintage Solid choices?
Definitely solid choices; a lot of people like the Armani and I've not heard too many bad things about the Varvatos. I'm not a fan of Tonka Bean, so Code turned me off, but it's definitely one that you can wear easily in many situations. The only possible problem that I could see, in a large setting, would be that many people will know what you are wearing and/or be wearing the same thing.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
So I went to Saks the other day and smelled pretty much everything they got. I liked these 2

Armani Code (yeah yeah it's probaly the Ed Hardy of colognes but it smells good to me)
John Varvatos Vintage

Solid choices?

I have a bottle of JV that I don't wear nearly enough, it's really good. I don't remember Armani Code, but it gets love from those who aren't afraid to like Armani.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads