• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You get $40k loan approved on June 12. You owe the school 24k by September 1. Sallie Mae sends 40k to the school by September 1. After that money gets posted to your account, whatever extra there is gets disbursed in a check for 16k to you that you pick up in the financial aid office or they send to you or whatever. In my experience, you normally get the disbursement check sometime in October. Like 4-6 weeks after school starts for processing.
Question: is your ability to get student loans in the United States limited by how much money your parents earn? That's how things work here, and I've had a few friends get screwed over because their parents aren't willing/able to support them, but at the same time, they don't qualify for student loans. It's kind of messed up in my opinion.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Question: is your ability to get student loans in the United States limited by how much money your parents earn? That's how things work here, and I've had a few friends get screwed over because their parents aren't willing/able to support them, but at the same time, they don't qualify for student loans. It's kind of messed up in my opinion.

No, like everything in the US, if you can pass a simple credit check (basically, if you haven't filed bankruptcy in the last 6 months) they'll give you however much money you want, at a high high interest rate.
I think most loan places top out at 40k a year though. And if you have a parental co-signer then obviously your interest rate will drop significantly.

I don't know about this part of it b/c my parents make a shitload of money, but I think you can get more federal loans if your parents make less. I know for a fact you can get grants and other free money. I know as a freshman, the most I could get from the Feds were $3500 my freshman yr, 5k my sophomore, so on and so forth. I'm pretty sure if you have financial need, you can get more.

seanchai

Reaction score
Two girls in the last week have asked me how many more years of high school I have left...I'm in my ******* 4th year of university.
frown.gif

I grew a mustache to cope with this, and now I'm not allowed anywhere near a high school.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about this part of it b/c my parents make a shitload of money, but I think you can get more federal loans if your parents make less.
So modest.
wink.gif
Thanks for the info.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
So modest.
wink.gif

Thanks for the info.

To the US Government, a shitload of money means anything over $50k.

I don't get a dime from my parents, but since they make the money, I don't get money from the gov't either.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the US Government, a shitload of money means anything over $50k.
Someone needs to make shitloads of money, it might as well be your parents. lol.
I don't get a dime from my parents, but since they make the money, I don't get money from the gov't either.
This is what I don't agree with. If you can prove that you aren't getting money from your parents then I think you should be able to get more money from the government. Edit: nice avatar.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I don't agree with. If you can prove that you aren't getting money from your parents then I think you should be able to get more money from the government.
I am quite sure there's a way to do this. Like if they stop claiming you as a dependent on their tax returns. That might help. Are you sure you aren't getting anything from your parents?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I am quite sure there's a way to do this. Like if they stop claiming you as a dependent on their tax returns. That might help.

Are you sure you aren't getting anything from your parents?

They don't pay for my school, don't pay for my apartment, don't pay for my clothes, don't cosign my loans, etc etc.

Do they buy me groceries once a month? Sure. So I'm getting $50 a month I guess.

Oh, and a birthday present and a Christmas present.
Plus there was that one time that my mom took me out for lunch.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They don't pay for my school, don't pay for my apartment, don't pay for my clothes, don't cosign my loans, etc etc.

Do they buy me groceries once a month? Sure. So I'm getting $50 a month I guess.

Oh, and a birthday present and a Christmas present.
Plus there was that one time that my mom took me out for lunch.

Well then that seems pretty unfair if you're getting screwed out of financial aid.

But c'mon, I bet your Christmas presents are pretty sweet. And that lunch, it wasn't at Arby's, was it?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Well then that seems pretty unfair if you're getting screwed out of financial aid.

But c'mon, I bet your Christmas presents are pretty sweet. And that lunch, it wasn't at Arby's, was it?

laugh.gif
True, it wasn't Arby's.

I'm not upset with them for it. I knew it was going to happen-- I lived at home for the last 18 months, so when they filed the FAFSA 08, obviously they took me as a dependent. I think for next year they're going to take me off their taxes so I'll at least get a little bit of extra help the last 6 months of my school.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too. I get to look all scruffy and when my teachers tell me to shave, I can say it's for charity.
teacha.gif

I'm not doing it for charity. I'm doing it for the lols. If I manage to get a date after week one I'll be floored.
Originally Posted by Connemara
Happened to me recently as well.
frown.gif

As long as people keeping making the mistake, I'm going to assume that high school girls aren't out of bounds.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Stazy

My grand-father was telling me a story about a guy who would call him boss in a condescending way. I'm not sure what it is about that word, but it really does get people going. As for myself, I hardly pay attention to people.
smile.gif
This hold on an ebay sale is pissing me off by the way!

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
True, it wasn't Arby's.

I'm not upset with them for it. I knew it was going to happen-- I lived at home for the last 18 months, so when they filed the FAFSA 08, obviously they took me as a dependent. I think for next year they're going to take me off their taxes so I'll at least get a little bit of extra help the last 6 months of my school.

I hope so. My wife put herself through school without one cent of help from her parents. But she could never figure out why she couldn't get financial aid...turns out her money grubbing parents kept claiming her as a dependent even though she never moved back home and they gave her zero support.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads