• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Babbo- just lucky?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given the legendary difficulty in getting reservations, I wasn't expecting to have my preference for dining there on Saturday a month from now to happen.

I call starting at 10, busy signal maybe 4 times. 5th I get thru to the automated menu, then a woman puts me on hold. I wait 10 minutes, she comes on the line and I'm booked for 9pm. I asked her if any time was filled and she said only 7pm.

Not exactly as simple as calling a normal restaurant, no, but I couldn't believe how easy it was. Did I just get lucky? I really doubt it.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. We're probably going to do the pasta tasting menu and wine pairings.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The city is still a bit lethargic in the first week after Labor Day so it's a great time to reserve restaurants that are generally over-booked.

Good job though - I trust that you will like it. Just don't order the marinated anchovies appetizer, and if you are hungry and like osso bucco, definitely order one (to share!) after your pasta
inlove.gif

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GDL, I took your advice from a few months back and we're going to Strip House the next night.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both are very good restaurants.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
GDL, I took your advice from a few months back and we're going to Strip House the next night.
Babbo one night and Strip House the next? I hope your hotel has a good treadmill !
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
Given the legendary difficulty in getting reservations, I wasn't expecting to have my preference for dining there on Saturday a month from now to happen. I call starting at 10, busy signal maybe 4 times. 5th I get thru to the automated menu, then a woman puts me on hold. I wait 10 minutes, she comes on the line and I'm booked for 9pm. I asked her if any time was filled and she said only 7pm. Not exactly as simple as calling a normal restaurant, no, but I couldn't believe how easy it was. Did I just get lucky? I really doubt it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. We're probably going to do the pasta tasting menu and wine pairings.
You are in for a real treat. Enjoy!

billiebob

Reaction score
I have tried the Babbo reservation line over 100 times over the years with no luck. I haven't in the last year though. I've only been there twice: Once eating near the bar and the other time with someone who has no problem with reservations in general. Now I just buy the cookbook and enjoy how similar to the real thing many of the dishes turn out. It's a great place!

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Babbo one night and Strip House the next? I hope your hotel has a good treadmill !
smile.gif

LOL it's going to get ugly. I'm fully expecting a 5 lb gain and I so welcome it.

Patrician

Reaction score
I keep calling Dorsia all the time but I never seem to get a table, so I just pretend that I got one instead.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads