• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking good without tie/coat/sweater, but not Streetwear

borderline

Reaction score
As an academic, I rarely need to wear a coat, and never need to wear a suit. Yet, in a warm climate, sweaters are not practical for much of the year. So, what is the solution? Is it possible to look decent without something like a sportcoat, sweater, or jacket over your shirt?

I know enough to avoid the Silicon Valley look of baggy pleated chinos and tucked in big polo shirt...but there are limited options for looking good with:

-No jacket
-No tie
-No sweater
-No denim

Wearing OCBD with variety of slacks and chinos, and typically wearing the sleeves rolled up, seems like the best option, but it gets old fast.

This seems like the big gap in style: what to do nbetween a sport coat and denim streetwear...
Ideas? Photos?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is the answer here. You're looking for the same pieces as everyone else, but yours will fit you. Find slim fitting flat front chinos/cotton pants (J. Crew, Barba Napoli), slim fitting shirts and slim fitting polos (I like the Penguin Jack, a solid jersey polo).

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit, fit, and more fit!

I'm in the same boat as you. I try to spruce it up every now and then but with the weather in LA as it is and the general 'casualness' of my job, shirts and slacks are as far as it goes with me.

Find clothes that fit you well and wear nice shoes.

I think Get Smart's outfits are a good reference point for wearing this clean casual look very well and very consistently.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I vote for Warlock for casual reference point.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy

yes, another worthy example.

so is yfyf, when he decides to ditch the suits.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy

+1

+2 if you add an iron to the mix

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Berlin Report and Phat Guido (when not in suits) as well.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My one thought my be a light sports coat. I realize the OP said he does not "need" to wear a sports coat or suit. However, part of being sartorial is dressing for oneself and simply because of need. I would consider linen and unlined wool sports coats to provide a nice, relatively casual feel.

borderline

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas and specific posters to check out. I definitely have been more cognizant about fit since I came across this board, and I have upgraded both shoes and watches recently. And the lightweight sportcoat to mix it up occasionally is a great idea. But I have never seen a casual Phatguido picture! And I can't afford his watches!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why no coats? Just because of the heat? or is the coat not good in the classroom? Will they not give you tenure if you wear a coat?

It's not clear to me why sportcoats are not an option for you.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
. But I have never seen a casual Phatguido picture! And I can't afford his watches!

L1030563W.jpg
Aug 9.
L1020478.jpg
July 11.
These are winter, but his summer ones are good, too.

When it comes to actually stealing ideas for work, I usually do it from Warlock.
I can just about do his style without getting that particular "what are you trying to prove,
and who do you need to prove it to?" glance. Cotton jackets? Maybe. I'm working
that idea over. The look from the guy from Crane? That I can do any day of the work week,
no problem. It is just the culture in my part of the academic woods.

One could just establish oneself as an eccentric dresser, of course.

Shraka

Reaction score
To hell with what you need. I can get away with wearing jeans and runners to work. What do I wear instead? This:
black-suit-gray-waistcoat-blue-tie.jpg
I still have a long way to go in getting my sartorial style down though. I'm still working on fit (which is hard as I keep changing shape). Of course, I don't wear that every day. Today I'm wearing that waistcoat, a light brown slacks, and a white shirt (open neck), with a herringbone sports coat (which needs some tailoring).
smile.gif

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an excellent question. I think the key is well-fitted, shirts, trousers with some texture, and good shoes and belt. But I generally agree with the fit, fit, fit comment and the rec to look at yfyf pics. I think making the individual pieces have more character is important.

I rarely dare speak the truth that even the lightest, most unlined, jackets are often not comfortable in many hot outdoor or heated indoor situations. For me, the obligation to have a jacket often means I carry it a lot or put it in my bicyle basket, meaning it is quite dirty by the end of the day. The above look is just too hot in just about any circumstances. Perhaps I should I try waistcoats made of thin cotton. Perhaps my body temperature is extreme.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
This is an excellent question. I think the key is well-fitted, shirts, trousers with some texture, and good shoes and belt. But I generally agree with the fit, fit, fit comment and the rec to look at yfyf pics. I think making the individual pieces have more character is important.

I rarely dare speak the truth that even the lightest, most unlined, jackets are often not comfortable in many hot outdoor or heated indoor situations. For me, the obligation to have a jacket often means I carry it a lot or put it in my bicyle basket, meaning it is quite dirty by the end of the day. The above look is just too hot in just about any circumstances. Perhaps I should I try waistcoats made of thin cotton. Perhaps my body temperature is extreme.

I take my jacket off at my desk, as offices are almost always over heated (I'm a little warm now actually, so perhaps I should take this waistcoat off... meh). When it's hot I find my linen jacket is quite cool. If I'm wearing a polo shirt with it (which I have been known to do) it's actually cooler with the jacket on when outside, as it keeps the sun off my arms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads