• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official MMA thread

Brian SD

Reaction score
**** the UFC. I respect Brock but how he deserves to be anywhere near a title belt is ******* beyond me. Apparently he brought the WWE style match making with him when he came into the org. Nog is the interim HW champ of the UFC, next in line for a title shot. The real champ breaks contract and ducks the fight. The 'real' champ comes back to the organization, and he's fighting a sloppy pro wrestler with a first-round loss and a decision win. What the **** is going on here? Am I taking crazy pills? 1-1 record. Title shot. 1-1 record. Title shot. What. The. ****? This also ***** everything up for the potential Fedor/Randy fight. In the long term this may be better for Nog, because his chances of beating Lesnar are higher than him beating Randy, and I think Lesnar might be able to take Couture. But Fedor has already beaten Nog, so if Lesnar beats Randy, then Nog beats Lesnar (which I think is the most likely scenario), Fedor is back to his same position and there's no excitement for a Randy/Fedor fight outside of the hardcore MMA crowd.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, if everyone thinks that Lesnar can beat the champion, then why does he need to "earn" a title shot by going through guys like Werdum and Gonzaga? If you can beat the guy at the top, then you should be the guy at the top. By the way, I don't think it's so safe to assume that Lesnar will easily beat Randy. People have counted Randy out before and he's proven them wrong many times.

War Captain America!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor Fabricio Werdum. He stopped Gonzaga and Vera and was promised a title shot. Now he's out in the cold with no title fight for the foreseeable future.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I know Nog will beat Brock but I honestly don't like seeing the guy take so much damage in order to win. He's like a Brazillian Sakuraba, only not a dickhead.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Again, if everyone thinks that Lesnar can beat the champion, then why does he need to "earn" a title shot by going through guys like Werdum and Gonzaga? If you can beat the guy at the top, then you should be the guy at the top. By the way, I don't think it's so safe to assume that Lesnar will easily beat Randy. People have counted Randy out before and he's proven them wrong many times.

War Captain America!

Anybody can beat the guy at the top in MMA, it isn't likely but it's always possible. As they say, "anything can happen" which is why it's so important that they fairly give paths to the title for every contender.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Anybody can beat the guy at the top in MMA, it isn't likely but it's always possible. As they say, "anything can happen" which is why it's so important that they fairly give paths to the title for every contender.

Exactly. It's not about who CAN beat the champ, it's about who earned his chance to beat him.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Exactly. It's not about who CAN beat the champ, it's about who earned his chance to beat him.

I admit this isn't an exact analogy of the above but it reminded me that Jeff Merritt was the hardest hitting heavyweight in the early to mid 70's. Tough to believe but, he was known to hit HARDER than Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Frazier. You guys who were around know that Shavers hit like a ton. Jeff never got a shot at the title. No champ would fight him. They fought many a tomato can who didn't "earn" a shot, but not Jeff.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD

Says who? If Randy is a true champ, he should take on and beat all comers. If there's a guy out there who can beat him, who just hasn't "earned his chance to beat him," then what's the point of being the champ?

Did Cote "earn his chance" to fight Anderson Silve by barely squeeking out a win against Ricardo Almeida? No. But Anderson Silva is a true champ who takes on anybody they put in front of him, and Randy has to do the same.

Oh, and by the way, the UFC has Mir ranked as the #1 contender, but he can't fight Randy because he already signed a contract to fight Nog. So neither Nog nor Mir can fight Randy (due to the contract). So, what are they supposed to do, make Randy wait another 6 months to a year before fighting? Make him fight Werdum (who also only has 2 fights in the UFC but a lot less marketability)? Make him fight Gonzaga (who lost to 2 of his past 3 fights and has less marketability)?

The more I think about, the more it's clear that this was the only option for the UFC.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Poor Fabricio Werdum. He stopped Gonzaga and Vera and was promised a title shot. Now he's out in the cold with no title fight for the foreseeable future.
No kidding. Other than a lackluster fight with Arlovski, Werdum has a nice resume and certainly deserves to compete for the title before ******* Lesnar. Dana can go ahead and end the holier-than-thou horseshit he's been parading for years. He just proved he is actually MORE of a joke than Elite XC is with Kimbo. At least in Elite XC they aren't making a mockery of the title and those in line for it, they are having him fight C level guys. They aren't taking a guy with 1 decent win and 1 loss and giving him a ******* title shot. I applaud Dana for not even trying to defend it, he just came out and said it will be their highest grossing event. It may not be a big deal to some, but he **** on all the other HWs who have put in a ton more time and proven INFINITELY more than Lesnar. White has let Lesnar come in and move straight to the front of the line. He's given Lesnar the same clout and standing as Nog, who was only a champ for years and beat some of the best that the sport has seen. I don't like Lesnar- he's the Nick Diaz of the HW division. But my contempt doesn't lie with him, it's the fact that the UFC is doing everything they ragged so hard on other orgs for.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff

It may not be a big deal to some, but he **** on all the other HWs who have put in a ton more time and proven INFINITELY more than Lesnar. White has let Lesnar come in and move straight to the front of the line. He's given Lesnar the same clout and standing as Nog, who was only a champ for years and beat some of the best that the sport has seen.

Again, what are they supposed to do? Randy hasn't fought in a year, should they wait for another year before Mir and Nog fight and then give the winner enough time to recover and prepare for a fight against Randy? No, that would be marsupialed. Randy needs a fight right now. So the choices are either Werdum or Lesnar. Arguably, neither one of these guys deserves a title shot, so why not just give it to the guy who's going to be a bigger draw? I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Odd Morsel

Reaction score
Says who? If Randy is a true champ, he should take on and beat all comers. If there's a guy out there who can beat him, who just hasn't "earned his chance to beat him," then what's the point of being the champ?

I don't think anyone here doubts that. Of course Randy will fight anyone.

Put it this way. If you busted your ass at a job for 5 years and were next in line for a promotion, how would you feel if a woman who worked there for a month got that promotion because she was physically attractive? Would you be fine with that?

Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
No kidding. Other than a lackluster fight with Arlovski, Werdum has a nice resume and certainly deserves to compete for the title before ******* Lesnar.

Dana can go ahead and end the holier-than-thou horseshit he's been parading for years. He just proved he is actually MORE of a joke than Elite XC is with Kimbo. At least in Elite XC they aren't making a mockery of the title and those in line for it, they are having him fight C level guys. They aren't taking a guy with 1 decent win and 1 loss and giving him a ******* title shot. I applaud Dana for not even trying to defend it, he just came out and said it will be their highest grossing event.

It may not be a big deal to some, but he **** on all the other HWs who have put in a ton more time and proven INFINITELY more than Lesnar. White has let Lesnar come in and move straight to the front of the line. He's given Lesnar the same clout and standing as Nog, who was only a champ for years and beat some of the best that the sport has seen.

I don't like Lesnar- he's the Nick Diaz of the HW division. But my contempt doesn't lie with him, it's the fact that the UFC is doing everything they ragged so hard on other orgs for.

Well, like you say - it's not a big deal to some. Some fans are just concerned with things like scheduling and marketability. I like the whole insane concept of having to earn a title shot, regardless of if some corporation is making dollars or not.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, what are they supposed to do? Randy hasn't fought in a year, should they wait for another year before Mir and Nog fight and then give the winner enough time to recover and prepare for a fight against Randy? No, that would be marsupialed. Randy needs a fight right now. So the choices are either Werdum or Lesnar. Arguably, neither one of these guys deserves a title shot, so why not just give it to the guy who's going to be a bigger draw? I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Werdum is most deserving of a title shot, more so than Mir, Lesnar, or any other HW in the division now that Arlovski left. The UFC is about box-office first and merit second, so it's not surprising that it didn't want two Brazilians (Nog and Werdum) fighting each other for the interim belt. But to allow Lesnar to cut in line in front of Werdum to fight Randy is ridiculous. Let Lesnar fight Gonzaga and see how he deals with a BJJ black belt who kicks like a mule.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Werdum is most deserving of a title shot, more so than Mir, Lesnar, or any other HW in the division now that Arlovski left. The UFC is about box-office first and merit second, so it's not surprising that it didn't want two Brazilians (Nog and Werdum) fighting each other for the interim belt. But to allow Lesnar to cut in line in front of Werdum to fight Randy is ridiculous. Let Lesnar fight Gonzaga and see how he deals with a BJJ black belt who kicks like a mule.

I agree, but that's the way things go. If having Lesnar fight Randy brings more attention and fans to the sport, then it's ok with me.

juicemakesugar

Reaction score
I hope Lesnar gives him the F-5 followed by the Brock Lock to tap him out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But to allow Lesnar to cut in line in front of Werdum to fight Randy is ridiculous. Let Lesnar fight Gonzaga and see how he deals with a BJJ black belt who kicks like a mule.

I don't wanna fight Brock
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads