• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Before Bespoke Shoes . . .

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently discovered something that levels the playing field as far as end-of-the-day comfort between my high-tech running shoes and dress shoes (both RTW and bespoke).

They're separately molded left and right socks, although not numerically sized (like some of my dress socks) but S-M-L sized, such as these from Asics -

http://www.asicsamerica.com/products...Y_ID=250001574.

I've gone à la Thom Browne with these socks in my dress shoes (both RTW and bespoke), and I can't tell a significant difference compared to my Asics Gel Kayano with regards to my feet's comfort at the end of the day.

It makes sense. Socks interact dynamically with the muscles and ligaments of the feet, while shoes just fit over their bony architecture. How the feet feel at the end of the day is probably related to how much lactic acid might be built up from the feet having to "go against the grain" stretching cotton/wool/nylon/Spandex.

I wear synthetic gloves in my profession, so an analogy would be wearing the throwaway gloves in a box that is made on the same mold for both hands versus the sterile gloves made from separate left and right molds that come individually packaged. The left-right made ones are obviously more comfortable.

I hope dress sock makers out there will follow this trend.

- M

Cornellian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn

It makes sense. Socks interact dynamically with the muscles and ligaments of the feet, while shoes just fit over their bony architecture. How the feet feel at the end of the day is probably related to how much lactic acid might be built up from the feet having to "go against the grain" stretching cotton/wool/nylon/Spandex.

- M

Glad you found some comfortable socks, but I think you're overestimating the effect they have. Think about how much pressure you exert on the bottom of your foot each time you step; shoes don't just 'fit over their bony architecture.' Perhaps this sock is keeping your foot from sliding around in the shoe, and thus, the shoe is more comfortable. I don't doubt that socks have shock-absorbing properties however.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could also look at FALKE's extensive range of fitted & SIZED socks. They have padded dress socks, trekking socks, alpine skiing & running socks in classic dress colours. But as for comparing that to a GEL upgrade for a shoe ... to each his own i guess
eh.gif
HTH

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
Think about how much pressure you exert on the bottom of your foot each time you step; shoes don't just 'fit over their bony architecture.

I meant to only focus on how my feet feel better at the end of the day in these socks, not about any special shock absorption properties of socks.

My understanding of human physiology is that the feet act more as the transmitter of the body's impact, transmitting the shock to the tibias, knees, hips, and spine - thus making knees and tibial stress fractures the most common injuries for runners.

Originally Posted by speedster.8
You could also look at FALKE's extensive range of fitted & SIZED socks.
They have padded dress socks, trekking socks, alpine skiing & running socks in classic dress colours.

I have many Falke (and other makers') numerically sized, fitted, socks. However, they're made without the left/right distinction. I hope they will one day follow suit with not just left and right molds, but also the various elastic and padding technology within a sock.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
this is nothing new
Anklet_Toe_Socks.jpg

Agree. However, I do think companies that provide for runners are thinking the correct way with regards to the feet's motion (i.e., they have different elastic/padding at different places on the feet).

I'll leave with my inspiration for this thread, from Etutee's recent reflection about shoes . . . "The World War was a supreme test of both the tanning and leather industries, creating a tremendous demand for civilian and military shoes. The War had one distinctly gratifying result on shoe construction,, since that period marked the first professional consideration of properly constructed shoes in their relation to the general health of the individual. The medical profession has recently taken a very keen interest in the construction of footwear, recognizing that many apparently disassociated ailments can be traced to the feet. Research is constantly going on to improve the shoe of today, and our footwear is a balanced blend of serviceability, attractiveness and healthful comfort. "

Thanks Etutee (and Dopey).

- M

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I wear Gaziano & Girling, plus Edward Green shoes with their leather soles during the entire week work day, my feet are happier towards the end of the day. My legs don't feel as bad and their is one less thing to worry about.

If bespoke can further add comfort, then I'm all for investing in it by Halloween

I think socks will only make a difference if I purchase from a seller who deals in fair trade, in which the socks are only organically handmande and touched by 18 year old girl virgins.
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads