• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

g.re

Reaction score
I'm about buying some Uniqlo stuff, but unfortunately I'm not able to try anything, being their shop some 1k miles away. Hence, my questions:

- Are the slim fit denims true to size?
- Is an M Uniqlo tee the same size of an M American Apparel?

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know their pants fit true to size (vintage chinos are AWESOME!!!), but i am also curious about their shirts. i know i fit a medium in h&m slim-fit and j. crew, so should i go with the medium or size up?

Thisisnew

Reaction score
Im a medium in most places, but at uniqlo i wear a small (at least for the graphic tees, medium on most everything else). Although I could probably wear a medium too. Unfortunately I cant help you because I dont have anything from jcrew or h&m to compare it to.

But, at least in the two graphic tees I bought, the differences between small and medium werent that large. In their sweaters, I wear a medium. No idea about button-downs though, sorry.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i can fit in XS uniqlo sweaters as well as smalls, some of my small items from earlier seasons are much tinier than newer seasons,

My BoO size = M, my uniqlo size = S

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
i can fit in XS uniqlo sweaters as well as smalls, some of my small items from earlier seasons are much tinier than newer seasons,

My BoO size = M, my uniqlo size = S

thanks, you pretty much answered my question. it's funny because my j. crew, h&m, br and gap, i'm a medium and in BoO I'm in between a large and extra large. anyways, i guess i shall be trying the medium then...

g.re

Reaction score
Couldn't someone make comparisons with AA? I'm unfamiliar with BoO or J.Crew.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you guys speaking for the Uniqlo in Japan, America, or the UK?

discret

Reaction score
I can speak for the NYC one ... you might want size down a lot. compared to american apparel their shirts fit like brown bags. don't know about their pants

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For undershirts and t-shirts I find that out of the package sizing down works well, but once washed in a normal washing machine and dried -- there is serious shrinkage.

So -- Small in J.Crew, XS in Uniqlo out of the package, but size small after washing, re: The $4.90 color v-neck undershirts.

g.re

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Are you guys speaking for the Uniqlo in Japan, America, or the UK?
Uniqlo UK. I still haven't understood what size to choose for my tees. I repeat, I wear M AA tees, and they fit me good, tight enough. Should I size down?
frown.gif

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g.re
Uniqlo UK. I still haven't understood what size to choose for my tees. I repeat, I wear M AA tees, and they fit me good, tight enough. Should I size down?
frown.gif

Someone with experience with Uniqlo UK can help you. I went true to size for a JAPANESE Uniqlo Oxford, and it was the best fitting button up shirt I ever wore in my life.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for me the pants are always too tight. I usually wear a size 28 or 29 in jeans and I'd had problem with size 30 skinny jeans from uniqlo (being that I can't sit in them comfortably). Also they are notorious for not stretching too much.

As for the tops I would say an Uniqlo small is somewhere between an American Apparel small and medium when comparing the basic tees. I hope this helps.

g.re

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
As for the tops I would say an Uniqlo small is somewhere between an American Apparel small and medium when comparing the basic tees. I hope this helps.
Ok so I think I'll go for an M, since I'm a big AA's M. Thanks to all who have replied, useful however!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads