• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New and Lingwood Two shops

UK2004

Reaction score
Anyone know the difference between the shirt makers for New and Lingwood's two shops in Jermyn street the smaller one on the right has more expensive shirts with far superior fabrics, collars, cufs just about eveerything, it does have a shirt makers name on the window but is this for the RTW?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
meh. N&L, H&K and H&H all have two shop fronts on Jermyn St. Sometimes they run their bespoke out of one of the shops and sell their RTW out of the other. (T&A sells its RTW from Jermyn St and has a shop front round the corner on Bury St (?) for its bespoke.) Maybe in NL's case they sell some of their pricier luxury fabric shirts out of one. The smaller NL shop didn't appear to sell the shoes and all that, and had some gorgeous ties.

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UK2004
Anyone know the difference between the shirt makers for New and Lingwood's two shops in Jermyn street the smaller one on the right has more expensive shirts with far superior fabrics, collars, cufs just about eveerything, it does have a shirt makers name on the window but is this for the RTW?

N & L 's shop on the right as you look toward the arcade (with your back to the Beau Brummell statue...) sells bespoke shirts (as well as an extensive range of ties). I do not think they sell anything else, although I am sure they would be happy to help you with RTW or altered-to-fit (sleeve length) shirts. For all other goods you must go into the other, much larger, shop (shoes are upstairs). Formerly, bespoke shirts were upstairs on the right, taking up all the first floor space.

Frog in Suit

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The smaller shop across the street was opened by the guy that owns N&L to resurrect a truly excellent haberdashery that was once located by the old Anderson & Sheppard and that, like an idiot, he closed down. Darned if I can remember the name.

The lines in the two stores didn't overlap for the first couple of years but they seem to be less and less independent of each other these days. The smaller place introduced a run of very nice silk neckerchiefs a couple years ago that now sit in a drawer in the N&L shop, for example.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wonderful old shirtmaker, Bowring Arundel?
frown.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
That would be yes. Wonderful tiemaker too.

There are two Bowring Arundel ties currently on teh ebayz if you gentlemen wish to revisit your nostalgia.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How I miss that old establishment though I'm afraid I'm not an ebay kinda guy.
frown.gif
Some may recall that Robert Whittaker, the exceptionally well-regarded shirtmaker at Dege, apprenticed under the Tucker brothers at Bowring years ago.

UK2004

Reaction score
Bowring Arundel was the name on the window of the shop on the right, I purchased my RTW shirt in there they had a few totally different to the shirts in the other shop which I found very disappointing very happy with my one from the other shop, giveaway prices at 59 pounds in the sale beats the 200 to 300 i spend on brioni and borrelli, totally different shirt but nice to own.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is worth noting once again that the present Bowring Arundel is a far different shop than its predecessor.
frown.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
It is worth noting once again that the present Bowring Arundel is a far different shop than its predecessor.
frown.gif

The departure of Bowring Arundel's experienced shirtmakers and cutters, for one, as well as that of the last few people who hand-stitched buttonholes on bespoke shirts...
frown.gif

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
I am surprised that N & L would still put forward the Bowring & Arundel name. I should think B & A were absorbed by N & L at least twenty-five years ago. As far as I can remember, N & L's catalogues, letterheads, etc.. always said something like "...incorporating Bowring and Arundel..." , if they mentioned them at all. The same goes for J. Gane, although they may still keep the name on the Eton shoe shop.

Frog in Suit

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did a search for Bowring Arundel ... and up popped this New & Lingwood thead.

The "real" Bowring couldn't be gone 25 years, could it? I'm thinking that they were still making shirts for me as late as the early 1990s ... but perhaps I'm mistaken. Yes, surely I am ... must have been Sean at New & Lingwood by that time.

It can be so sad to think back about what was ... and this was a time for me to do just that. Last week I handed over to charity (C.A.R.H in El Sobrante, California) six to eight of the shirts they bespoke for me. Most of them were still in good condition ... just a bit to snug for my comfort.

loiclac

Reaction score
for those who want to visualise there is a street view

google map

you can see the name incorporate blah blah on the one on the left.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads