• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should One Wear Braces?

Shraka

Reaction score
I love braces. I just wore mine all day for the first time the other day. It was brilliant! My shirt didn't pull out of my pants, my pants didn't need pulling up, it all sat comfortably. I don't know why they ever went out of fashion.

I wore it with a waistcoat though, so nobody saw them.
smile.gif

Will Knowles

Reaction score
How do people feel about braces with odd jackets?

Doc4

Reaction score

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wore braces off and on during the 80's suspender craze. I thought the look was fun but I never thought they were all that comfortable. I much prefer a belt, no belt or side tabs.

They do seem to maximize the drape of a very full cut, pleated pant. I would consider them if I were to buy something like that. I also have two pair for my tuxedo. They are only for show and really serve no practical purpose since the button side tabs on my tux pants work fine without them.

VictorC

Reaction score
Are braces supposed to be hidden under waistcoats then? Ive seen some people wear braces and i thought they looked quite cool. I saw a kid on a tv show the other day and even he looked OK.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
Are braces supposed to be hidden under waistcoats then? Ive seen some people wear braces and i thought they looked quite cool. I saw a kid on a tv show the other day and even he looked OK.

For formal and semi formal occasions you are not to show your suspenders as a general rule. As for business wear, as it can be quite warm in an office I think it's much more acceptable to show them, just like it's more acceptable to not wear your coat at work.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These days nobody is going to shocked if they saw your braces, though you might get a few funny stares and comments. However, walking around with the braces showing does have a somewhat negative stereotype associated with it:
494px-Larry_King.jpg
Braces are also only comfortable when you wear them with proper brace trousers. These are cut with a higher rise and fish mouth back:
Brace_trowsers.jpg
The waist also has to be a bit looser than with belt trousers. When you go back to belt trousers you notice that they are more constricting around the waist. Clip ons damage the trousers and should be avoided at all cost. You can add brace buttons to belt trousers but it is often uncomfortable. As this diagram illustrates (from Flusser), brace trousers also help to hide a stout waistline:
Flusser_bracetrousers.jpg
They also straighten out the leg line and make the wearer look taller, as already mentioned. So there are numerous advantages to brace trousers. These days brace trousers can usually only be custom made, and most wearers show them off as an old world curiosity clipped on to their belt trousers.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shraka
For formal and semi formal occasions you are not to show your suspenders as a general rule. As for business wear, as it can be quite warm in an office I think it's much more acceptable to show them, just like it's more acceptable to not wear your coat at work.

I see. Ive never worn braces before but just recently have thought about it after seein a few people wear them.
I havent got any brace trousers though, if brace trousers exist. Ive only got jeans or chinos. I dont suppose braces go with jeans but might work with my navy chinos.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Whenever you're wearing trousers that you don't want to fall down.
- too funny!

Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
suspenders are like tattoos. if you have to ask someone's opinion, they're not for you.
- too true

- I have enquired with Ethandesu about wearing braces with my new suits from him as we had all the belt loops removed.
- this was fine initially, but as I am now loosing my winter coat - the pants are starting to drop..
- with try with one pair & see how that goes

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Braces are also only comfortable when you wear them with proper brace trousers.

That's a bit categorical and I don't know that I agree. Even trousers with a 'regular' cut, I find, are more comfortable when worn with braces.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask if you own any brace trousers? If not, I do suggest you give them a try. They are a great pleasure to wear. They are cut significantly looser in the upper waist compared to belt trousers. Belt trousers have too tight a waistband to match them in comfort, and don't feel right worn with brace once you get used to proper brace trousers.

There was a time when brace trousers were "regular" trousers.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by larsrindsig
That's a bit categorical and I don't know that I agree. Even trousers with a 'regular' cut, I find, are more comfortable when worn with braces.

I second that. While brace trousers are no doubt better, I find regular trousers are more comfortable with braces.
smile.gif

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
These days nobody is going to shocked if they saw your braces, though you might get a few funny stares and comments. However, walking around with the braces showing does have a somewhat negative stereotype associated with it:

494px-Larry_King.jpg

Braces are also only comfortable when you wear them with proper brace trousers. These are cut with a higher rise and fish mouth back:

Brace_trowsers.jpg

The waist also has to be a bit looser than with belt trousers. When you go back to belt trousers you notice that they are more constricting around the waist. Clip ons damage the trousers and should be avoided at all cost. You can add brace buttons to belt trousers but it is often uncomfortable.

As this diagram illustrates (from Flusser), brace trousers also help to hide a stout waistline:

Flusser_bracetrousers.jpg

They also straighten out the leg line and make the wearer look taller, as already mentioned.

So there are numerous advantages to brace trousers. These days brace trousers can usually only be custom made, and most wearers show them off as an old world curiosity clipped on to their belt trousers.

By default, Oxxford has brace trousers with their off the rack suits and tuxedos, FWIW.

However, I do not know if Oxxford has dress trousers (or, as some people on AAAC and/or SF would call them, odd trousers) off the rack that are brace trousers.

I am not 100% sure (maybe about 25-50% sure), but I believe that everything above about Oxxford also applies to Samuelsohn.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only time I find them not to be apropriate is with jeans or with a belt. Also no clip ons, not ever. Especialy if you have brace buttons, that is just an oxymoron to use clips.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
the only time I find them not to be apropriate is with jeans or with a belt. Also no clip ons, not ever. Especialy if you have brace buttons, that is just an oxymoron to use clips.

Can you use braces with chinos then? Ive got normal belt loops, but say i didnt want to wear a belt. Could i use braces instead?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads