• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit tuxedo -- any suggestions?

TheDroog

Reaction score
I've done a few searches on both SF and AAAC but didn't quite dig up as much info as I would have like, so I'm starting a new thread. (If there's an old one I missed somehow, please let me know).

After years of renting, I've decided to buy a tuxedo. I want it slim fitting with satin peak lapels, preferably one-button. Flat front pants are a must. I consider this an investment, so I'm willing to spend up to ~$1500 on this, although $1000 or less would be better. I'm not interested in a H&M style tuxedo that will fall apart after a few years.

So far, RL Black Label's tuxedo is the only name that seems to pop up with regularity. There was a thread about using Mr. Ned in NYC, but I don't live there so I wouldn't be able to go there for multiple fittings.

What are my best options at this point? What brands best fit this description? I'm not keen on bespoke or MTM at this point, but I'm willing to listen to what others here have to say.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Black Label would be a perfect solution if they made a peak lapel. Right now, they only do a notch. I'd also like grosgrain vs. satin. I asked if they can do a special order, but they don't do MTM in BL, at least for now.

I'd also be curious if anyone has any other OTR suggestions. Corneliani?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I have a blue label that is quite slim and has ff pants. It is SB, peaked grosgrain lapel. Will Field has it right now, but once he is back from holiday and I pick it up, I'll post pics.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I'm in the same boat. Black Label would be a perfect solution if they made a peak lapel. Right now, they only do a notch. I'd also like grosgrain vs. satin. I asked if they can do a special order, but they don't do MTM in BL, at least for now.

I'd also be curious if anyone has any other OTR suggestions. Corneliani?

With black label's modern skinny cut, is it really necessary to have peak lapels?

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are not a classicist, then the black label tux is the way to go (with the notch lapels). I tried it on at the Chicago RL store on Michigan Ave last Labor Day weekend in fact, and it is superb.

That being said, I found a nwt PRL Midnight Navy single button peak lapel with flat front pants on ebay this summer for a song ($310). It has grograin lapels, and like the OP, I prefer these to satin. It fits perfectly. Granted it is not quite as slim as my Black Label suits, but only by mere fractions. It's still slim fitting and I am not even going to get the sides taken in like I normally would on most things outside of Black Label.

Good luck with your search. You might also try to see if Paul Stuart has a Phineas Cole model with your specs.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
With black label's modern skinny cut, is it really necessary to have peak lapels?

It's not a make-or-break detail for me, but I read somewhere that peak lapels are a more classic look when it comes to tuxes; something about visually broadening the appearance of your chest.

44_photo.jpg

The most important thing is a slim fit though. I tried a tux on at Brooks Brothers about 5-6 years ago and was appalled at how baggy it was, not just through the length of jacket but in their pants as well. I asked if they had anything slimmer and they said the one I was trying on was the only type they carried. Maybe that's changed since then.

athletics

Reaction score
I had a Samuelsohn made a few months ago for my wedding and it was very slim fitting. Good price point and would be in the price range you mentioned. They are certainly worth a look.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Valentino, this season, has really gone the distance with formalwear. Maybe you should try their stores. The price will be outrageous (about $3.5K), but you could probably get something come sale time.

The best value for the dollar, imo, is the Polo Fairbanks tuxedo. It actually fits quite slim, and though it typically comes with pleated pants, I believe that you can special order flat front pants. I think that current retail is $1350, right at your range.

Good luck.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
It's not a make-or-break detail for me, but I read somewhere that peak lapels are a more classic look when it comes to tuxes; something about visually broadening the appearance of your chest.

I guess that's the point I was trying to make, that slim fit and peak lapels don't necessarily complement each other. Not by any means an expert here, just an opinion.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
Valentino, this season, has really gone the distance with formalwear. Maybe you should try their stores. The price will be outrageous (about $3.5K), but you could probably get something come sale time.

The best value for the dollar, imo, is the Polo Fairbanks tuxedo. It actually fits quite slim, and though it typically comes with pleated pants, I believe that you can special order flat front pants. I think that current retail is $1350, right at your range.

Good luck.

I have one of these Polos. While I don't find it to be particularly slim, it is a great tux, and pretty easily found on sale.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
I guess that's the point I was trying to make, that slim fit and peak lapels don't necessarily complement each other. Not by any means an expert here, just an opinion.

Well, I'm not an expert either, but I'm quite sure you're absolutely wrong.
Peak lapels or shawl collar are the only two choices you have when it comes to dinner jacket lapel style, and I think that a peak lapel with a slim cut looks great.

TheDroog

Reaction score
UPDATE: I went shopping for a slim fit tuxedo a few months back and here are my notes on what I saw at various department stores. (Sorry, no pictues). Hopefully it will be useful to anyone else who is looking for a slim tuxedo.

First, a little background. I wear a 38 or 40 suit depending on the maker; my waist size is 32/33.
At each store I asked specifically for slim fit tuxedos. This is what I saw as of Winter 2008. All prices are full retail.

Brooks Brothers: ($1000 including pants) 1818 39R Notch Lapel one-button jacket. Flat front pants sold separately. A boxy fit, even when sizing down to 38R. The clerk said the sides could be taken in, but it would be a very drastic alteration. I'd rather find something that fit better off the rack.

Canali ($1800) 38R Notch lapel, one-button jacket. Pleated pants. A decently slim fit right off the rack, though not the best.

Ermenegildo Zegna ($2400) 38R Peak lapel, one-button jacket. Pleated pants. Similar to the Canali, with a decent fit off the rack.

Hickey Freeman ($1500) 40R Peak lapel, one-button jacket. Pleated pants. Way too baggy. No 38's were in stock, but it would have needed considerable alterations anyway.

Hugo Boss ($800) 38R Peak lapel, one-button jacket. Flat front pants. Nice slim fit, similar in cut and shape to the Paul Smith.

Paul Smith ($1300) 40R, Peak lapel, one-button jacket. Flat front pants. Nice slim fit with an excellent hand. Of all the tuxedos I tried on, this one fit me best.

Polo Black Label ($2300) 40R Notch lapel, one button jacket. Flat front pants. A great fit off the rack for me. I wasn't in love with the notch lapel though.

Polo Blue Label ($1400) 38R Peak lapel, one-button jacket. Pleated pants. Blue label isn't a true slim fit. The 40R was a bit loose around the shoulders. When I sized down to a 38 R, the fit was too tight, with rippling across the back. I guess I'm in between sizes here. It is slimmer than the HF and Samuelsohn though.

Samuelsohn ($1100) 38R Notch lapel, one-button jacket. Pleated pants. A SF member recommended these, but this is a very conservative, boxy fit.

Ted Baker Endurance ($750) 40R Peak lapel, one button jacket. Flat front pants. Slim style that fits off the rack very well. But the wool felt cheap, worse than any other tuxedo I tried on. The lining under the collar had a weird velvet material that shed red "hairs" all over the jacket.

Tom Ford ($4500) 40R, Peak lapel, one-button jacket. Flat front pants. Very slender fit, beautiful hand. However, the lapels are curved and seemed excessively large to my eye.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like MTM might be your best option. Sammy has a wide variety of silhouettes and ther would be no trouser or lapel styling issues to deal with.

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
Samuelsohn ($1100) 38R Notch lapel, one-button jacket. Pleated pants. A SF member recommended these, but this is a very conservative, boxy fit.

Samuelsohn has several jacket styles to choose from. Mine is a very natural shoulder and the pants are flat and very slim. Especially since I had the tailor take them in even more.

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartort
You might also try to see if Paul Stuart has a Phineas Cole model with your specs.

i spoke with a SA at Paul Stuart about a Phineas Cole formal shirt, and apparently they don't make a tuxedo yet. but she did say their designer is working on one, and i should get an email when they release it. i'll be sure to pass it along to the other members here. im interested to see how it turns out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads