• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which martial art is most effective for self defense?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Here is prime example where a guy trys out some Capoeira moves, but come up against a guy who knows how to punch.

Worth a watch.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

SHOW BOAT FIGHTER

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a boxer, I'm going to vote for boxing, but not because you learn to throw a punch - rather, because you learn to get hit. If you haven't really been clocked a few times in your life it will be quite an eye-opening experience when it does happen, and it will happen. You don't want that to be when you are in a street fight. A street fight is usually won by the first guy to land a solid shot, but you can change those odds by boxing (or taking up anything where you actually spar and get hit occasionally).

Also, in boxing you learn to "slip" punches - i.e., you still get hit, but you slip off and absorb less of the force of a punch. The puncher sometimes thinks he hit you, so they tend to be surprised when you come right back with a solid shot.

Learn to get hit, and you'll win just about any fight you are in against people who don't have the same experience.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice! maybe being a human punching bag will pay off! i told you mama. i told you!

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
Here is prime example where a guy trys out some Capoeira moves, but come up against a guy who knows how to punch. Worth a watch.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
SHOW BOAT FIGHTER

I love it!!! Was that real life or ome kind of movie?

adelphi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
As a boxer, I'm going to vote for boxing, but not because you learn to throw a punch - rather, because you learn to get hit..
That pretty much goes for all reality based martial art... And that clip's from a movie, so it was rigged.

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I know I am the new guy and it's been done, but any martial art with sparring is fine. In general the people you would have to fight are untrained brawlers, and the combination of being in shape and knowing the mechanics behind a fight should be good enough to get you out of that situation. Sure sometimes you will come up against the BJJ purple belt, but then your screwed and should probably ask your self what you are doing picking fights with guys like that.

The only other times besides thugs going for your wallet that you should worry about are a) the college kid crowd drunk off 'schlager and who watch way to much 'The Ultimate Fighter' and b) someone who breaks into your home.

In situation a, one of your best friends is the fact he is inebriated. His balance is probably shot, though his pain tolerance might be through the roof. get him off balance and put him down, avoiding his sloppy take down attempts and haymakers. Just leave and remind yourself to find a new bar.

In situation b, shoot him/them. *shrug* At least in America it is an option still... well most parts.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is prime example where a guy trys out some Capoeira moves, but come up against a guy who knows how to punch.

Worth a watch.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

SHOW BOAT FIGHTER

At least he followed the cardinal rule of martial arts.....

NEVER BACK DOWN!!!!!!!!

spamloos

Reaction score
Did you "avoid the altercation" guys see the Karate Kid? Danielson tried like MFing Gandhi to avoid conflict, but in the end he HAD to through down. Sometimes you just have to fight!

So true! Other examples and dare I say life lessons, are ofcourse given in Marty's altercations with Biff, Griff and Buford 'Mad Dog' Tannen. Succes is your reward.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
I love it!!! Was that real life or ome kind of movie?

I have no clue if it is real, someone emailed it to me the other day, and I thought of this thread.

My guess is it is real.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
seems like the consensus above is that it is a clip from Never Back Down. I watched about half of it and fell asleep, so not sure.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no clue if it is real, someone emailed it to me the other day, and I thought of this thread.

My guess is it is real.

As someone mentioned it is from Never Back Down.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no clue if it is real, someone emailed it to me the other day, and I thought of this thread. My guess is it is real.
In any event, it certainly looked good!

englanderjk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
As a boxer, I'm going to vote for boxing, but not because you learn to throw a punch - rather, because you learn to get hit. If you haven't really been clocked a few times in your life it will be quite an eye-opening experience when it does happen, and it will happen. You don't want that to be when you are in a street fight. A street fight is usually won by the first guy to land a solid shot, but you can change those odds by boxing (or taking up anything where you actually spar and get hit occasionally).

Also, in boxing you learn to "slip" punches - i.e., you still get hit, but you slip off and absorb less of the force of a punch. The puncher sometimes thinks he hit you, so they tend to be surprised when you come right back with a solid shot.

Learn to get hit, and you'll win just about any fight you are in against people who don't have the same experience.

Often question the veracity and authority behind many posts, especially those related to topic such as this, but you're advice about being able to take a punch is sound.

Being able to absorb blows and endure punishment is as significant as offensive maneuvering. There are other contact sports such as judo and wrestling (especially greco-roman style) that also result in violent impacts and collisions.

"Learn to get hit",... and like it to a certain extent, if you're contact sport competitive or preparing for combat.

Speed.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont think you need to like getting hit. i personally hate getting hit. im a heavyweight and too many punches hurt! and i dont like hurty things! the worst are upper cuts to the ball of the nose! ahhhh it stings it stings!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads