• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Day of School

Metropolis

Reaction score
I'll be a Junior this year and want to start the school year out with a bang. My style is different. I prefer casual-classy clothes, rather than obnoxious colors and trends. I mainly try to work the black and whites (including gray scale) and an occasional side color. That color being dull, or along the lines of darker blues (navy), greens (forest), beige/khaki and purple - it's required to represent NYU in some way. With that being said, what do you think I should wear on the first day of school? I was thinking of wearing a simple brown v-neck sweater, with a white dress shirt underneath with a pair of skinny jeans (note - I only own skinny jeans) and then these chocolate slip ons. The skinny jeans are more of a.. dark wash, as for I don't like light wash jeans. But, a friend pointed out that I would look like a walking snickers bar. Yes/no? I was also thinking of my gray cardigan. Not sure what sort of shirt I want to wear underneath it - black? - with skinny jeans and these semi-high top shoes that I bought. Shoes Here. If you would like to suggest something totally different - By all means. My wardrobe is somewhat extensive, so I should be able to find something related to what your talking about. Just keep in mind - I don't want anything over the top. This is High School. :p

XeF4

Reaction score
I dont know, but nobody remembers what you wear on the other 364 days in the year, so make it count.

brohymn

Reaction score
Stop asking the internet how to dress yourself.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XeF4
I dont know, but nobody remembers what you wear on the other 364 days in the year, so make it count.

First impressions are everything!

YoungM

Reaction score
I wore my new A.P.Cs and some Hollister western shirt.

Yay for lack of SF approval.

However, I greatly support over the top. People remember the eccentrics- and as long as you're outgoing and confident enough, you can pull ANYTHING off.

I just wish I had more totally WTF inducing stuff in my wardrobe. Alas, Senior year will have to be my great entrance.

XeF4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metropolis
First impressions are everything!
You should have thought of that your freshman year.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM
I wore my new A.P.Cs and some Hollister western shirt.

Yay for lack of SF approval.

However, I greatly support over the top. People remember the eccentrics- and as long as you're outgoing and confident enough, you can pull ANYTHING off.

I just wish I had more totally WTF inducing stuff in my wardrobe. Alas, Senior year will have to be my great entrance.

Hahaha. Oh, god. Why am I getting the picture of little Chelsea/SoHo Hipsters rushing through my head?

YoungM

Reaction score
Meh, pretty definitely not me. I'm definitely not little, and not very hip either.

When I say grand entrance, I was hoping for ridiculous in a rather different way than you were probably thinking.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungM
Meh, pretty definitely not me. I'm definitely not little, and not very hip either.

When I say grand entrance, I was hoping for ridiculous in a rather different way than you were probably thinking.

haha. What'd you mean?

I was thinking of like neon green shorts and shirts with some rocker from the 70s face on it. That would make me wtf.

(Which is ironic, considering I love SoHo.. But, there are so many people who just can't seem to wear an outfit that matches decently there.)

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Baggy sweatpants, hi top Rick Owens sneakers with the laces undone, a seersucker jacket over a cardigan over a band tshirt or two.

Or jeans, sneakers and a t shirt/button down shirt.

Half Honky

Reaction score
Where do you live? Isn't it still kind of warm for sweaters and cardigans?

Or jeans, sneakers and a t shirt/button down shirt.
+1

Metropolis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Half *****
Where do you live? Isn't it still kind of warm for sweaters and cardigans?

78 is the expected weather for the day. Perhaps, I should just stick to a beige, or even dark blue button up? Simple look.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Dark blue button up with dark denim = no. Just wear a white shirt oxford shirt, untucked, jeans, and some sneakers or boots. Classic and good.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Well, I'd probably pull out the black pair for the blue button up top. :p Dark blue on dark blue would be a disaster.

XeF4

Reaction score
facepalm.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads