• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic Vs Loud Tom Ford Suit

gian

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, but upon reading some of the previous threads i've noticed that there seems to be some tom ford hate. I have to be honest, albeit tom ford being a bit over-rated, i am a fan and i do like what he did with the gucci fashion house, but that is not what i am here to ask.

I am 21 years old and i live in adelaide australia, and i dont really have much reason to wear suits apart from parties, and general dandiness. I have recently however gotten rid of my teenage ways and am opting for a more tailored and more personal look. Having said that, i do not think i have gotten rid of my "fashion-whore" ways.

I am planning to get another suit tailored. I am deciding to either get, a slim black single breasted 2 button suit, with a thin peak lapel, gold silk lining, single vent in an italian fit OR a 3 piece suit that im going to copy from tom ford's collection which you can see here

I do believe i carry enough confidence and swagger to pull it off, however i am not sure if it will suit my body type, i am unfortunately short AND skinny. To get an idea that's me on my avatar.

Thanks in advance,

Gian

P.S. The sleeves arent too short on the suit on my avatar, the sleeves are just too long on the shirt (a common problem i get from off the rack shirts).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I checked out the Tom Ford stuff a week or so ago. It is really close to really good.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the fabric on that suit a lot

i dunno where you're going to get the suit tailored at, but somehow i doubt all the details will come out exactly the same so be prepared for that

gian

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply guys, a couple of my friends have commented that the tom ford style is more my personality but i am a bit worried about the wide lapels, as i have usually opted for smaller than usual lapels. I guess i am just worried that it would make me look even smaller instead of making me look better as a good suit should.

gian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slycedbred
i like the fabric on that suit a lot

yes the fabric looks fantastic, that is what drew me to this suit in the first place. I will have to work hard to find fabric with a similar look. I know it probably wont look as good or exactly like it, but i am not prepared to shell out a mountain of cash for a suit i'm going to wear maybe once or twice a year.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gian
Thanks for the quick reply guys, a couple of my friends have commented that the tom ford style is more my personality but i am a bit worried about the wide lapels, as i have usually opted for smaller than usual lapels. I guess i am just worried that it would make me look even smaller instead of making me look better as a good suit should.

do you think it looks good on the guy in the picture? i mean, its not exactly like he is some hulking brute and i would imagine the overall proportions to not be that unlike what it would be on your build. in general, i would have to say the lapel width is a legitimate concern for someone not of broad chest (like myself, also). i think the impact of lapel width can also depend on other factors of the cut (i.e. shoulder treatment, swell of the chest, waist suppression, etc.).

are there tom ford boutiques where you are? best thing to do would be to try something on that is at least similar, look at yourself in the mirror, and be objective when assessing what it does for you

gian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
are there tom ford boutiques where you are? best thing to do would be to try something on that is at least similar, look at yourself in the mirror, and be objective when assessing what it does for you

unfortunately, adelaide is one of the smaller cities in australia, we don't really get much of anything over here.

but in your experience alebrady, has a wide lapel worked for you?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go for the TF. You are young and still have plenty of time to wear more conservative suits in the future. One of the fun parts of being young is playing around with fashion "trial and error." When you are in your forties, you probably won't be able to experiment so much, so enjoy yourself now.

Good luck with the suit!

Btw... I disagree that there is a lot of TF hate, here. I think we question his retail pricing strategy vs. his target consumer and sometimes we wonder what he was thinking with some of his more "out there" styles... but in general I think we at least appreciate that he's trying to make men's fashion a little more romantic than it typically has been.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gian
unfortunately, adelaide is one of the smaller cities in australia, we don't really get much of anything over here.

but in your experience alebrady, has a wide lapel worked for you?

i have tended to be a little more 'classical' in my lapel widths (i.e. proportional to my overall chest size and, if anything, a bit narrower).

i do have some italian suits that have slightly wider lapels than what i would usually have done and actually like them - they provide a nice change of pace and provide a different look to the chest.

i actually tried on a few jackets in the tom ford boutique in manhattan right after they first opened. i have to say that i liked the look of the notched lapels (which also were wider than what i would typically do) but did not like the peak lapel width on me. in combination with his very nipped waist and structured shoulder line it bordered on the costumey to me - but that could just be my own preferences.

it sounds like you would be wearing these suits for you (i.e. not in any type of mandatory or business setting) so it really is going to be boil down to what you think you would like.

in the absence of being able to try something on along similar lines, i would probably defer again to pictures (like the one you posted). if you like the overall aesthetic, might not hurt to try it...particularly, since you wont be shelling out the TF dollars for it.

i know a lot of us try to agonize over these types of things before pulling the trigger. it very well can be painful after we make the spend on something we dont end up really happy with but in the long run, youve got to try some of these things for yourself to know what you like and dont like - its the only way for us to develop our own taste and style.

btw iammatt, your comment has really increased my judgement of you (not to imply that it was ever poor to begin with).

gian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Go for the TF. You are young and still have plenty of time to wear more conservative suits in the future. One of the fun parts of being young is playing around with fashion "trial and error." When you are in your forties, you probably won't be able to experiment so much, so enjoy yourself now.

Good luck with the suit!

Btw... I disagree that there is a lot of TF hate, here. I think we question his retail pricing strategy vs. his target consumer and sometimes we wonder what he was thinking with some of his more "out there" styles... but in general I think we at least appreciate that he's trying to make men's fashion a little more romantic than it typically has been.

A very valid point, it is a younger sort of suit. And about the tom ford hate, i guess i have been corrected.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
I like that Tom Ford suit. I envision it with a substantial gold watch-chain.

I had always wanted to wear a pocket watch. More points for the TF suit then.

Thanks for all the replies, its been great help, i have been very indecisive and most people my age aren't really interested in suits, so have had no one to ask really.

gian

Reaction score
Here are more pics of a similar TF style to help us.

here, here and to a lesser extent here

I must say i am not a fan of the way will smith looks in that suit

alebrady

Reaction score
man, based on the number of male actors and athletes i have seen in pics wearing tom ford over the last 6-12 months, id have to say there is definitely TF fever going on - he is ALL over the place!

gian

Reaction score
i guess its settled then

i will begin this experiment, unfortunately i will only have to go by pictures, since i dont have a boutique anywhere near where i live. If anyone has any more pictures of the suit or any suggestions to help me achieve this look please post them here. or email me on [email protected].

I will post pics of the result in a month or two, depending on how long it takes, so we can see if we made the right choice

But please, the more pics and suggestions i have will help me achieve this look, so please keep posting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads