• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama's power suit for DNC speech

JeffC

Reaction score
The suit would retail at department stores such as Nordstrom for $1,500.
No one pays $1500 for a HSM suit.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks nice. I guess a $4000 Oxxford MTM would raise a few eyebrows

JeffC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Or a $10,000 Kiton suit.

Especially since it's not Made in the USA.

WestOfPCH

Reaction score
Some one please remind me: who have been the tailors for Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, and W?

I remember much being written regarding Reagan's tailor -- I'm guessing he paid more for his suits than the "retail Nordstrom" price for Obama's.

The Transporter

Reaction score
I'm thinking he could have gotten deeper cuffs. He's a little over 6'1" so 1-1/4" cuffs seems chintzy, like they didn't have enough material to work with on the pants.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WestOfPCH
Some one please remind me: who have been the tailors for Reagan, Bush Sr., Clinton, and W?

I remember much being written regarding Reagan's tailor -- I'm guessing he paid more for his suits than the "retail Nordstrom" price for Obama's.

Oxxford always makes the president a few suits, don't they? It's part of their mystique.

Tcameron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WestOfPCH

I know W is a J. Press man - the whole New Haven / DC proximity probably helped that foster over the years.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Being that both are from Chicago, I think Obama might be able to get away with Oxxford.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Reagan got his suits from a now-dead Italian tailor in Beverley Hills. Frank Marignano or something like that.

Bush 41 got his at Press.

Clinton had a number of sources, his favorites were DKNY MTM made by Martin Greenfield.

Bush 43 got Oxxford through an Austin, Texas retailer, and also used a DC tailor named Georges de Paris.

Tcameron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Reagan got his suits from a now-dead Italian tailor in Beverley Hills. Frank Marignano or something like that.

Bush 41 got his at Press.

Clinton had a number of sources, his favorites were DKNY MTM made by Martin Greenfield.

Bush 43 got Oxxford through an Austin, Texas retailer, and also used a DC tailor named Georges de Paris.

I thought Bush the second was a Press buy, maybe I am mistaken, or perhaps he dabbles in both? ( A different type of "dabbling in both" than his predecessor however.)

WestOfPCH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Transporter
I'm thinking he could have gotten deeper cuffs. He's a little over 6'1" so 1-1/4" cuffs seems chintzy, like they didn't have enough material to work with on the pants.

I thought the same thing. I'm 5'-9", and my cuffs are 1-1/2" with some of my suit pants at 1-3/4" at the recent urging of my tailor

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads