• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Thoughts On JCrew

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I work in an environment where super dressy is not necessary, and I find myself drawn towards the styling of JCrew. I know some think that their prices aren't worth the quality unless gotten on sale but sometimes I just can't help myself. What do you guys think of the quality and style of JCrew clothing. I have tons of their washed dress shirts which are super soft, and tons of their sweaters-from 100% cashmere to wool blends. I also just recently pulled the trigger on a $150 pair of vintage selvege skinny jeans. I'm curious to see what your thoughts are of their fall line.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I'll probably get blasted on here, but I like J Crew. I think a lot of their stuff has improved over the last year or so and I have been buying more of their stuff for my casual/biz casual wardrobe. Mostly I buy their stuff on sale as I think that full price is generall overpriced. They have some interesting blazers and suiting pieces, but I dislike the sizing-- generally I find there to be a good value in their khakis, shirts, and sweaters.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I'll probably get blasted on here, but I like J Crew.
Actually, your post makes me feel relieved that you dislike my shirt
wink.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
overall I like Jcrew...I wish more of it fit me better but count me in as a fan of their overall aesthetic and product

I dont get why everyone says it's "overpriced", most every single item is under $100. It's not H&M cheap but in the grand scheme of "nicer" clothes it's priced well for what it is. I get that you can get it on sale for cheap, but if you had to buy it at retail I don't think it's "overpriced".

Metropolis

Reaction score
They're decent. I have yet to face a problem (rip, tear, anything) with the polo I bought from there a few months back. However, their style is more leaned torwards.. I don't know.. A mix between Tennis and Yacht wear? Personally, not my style. But, if you like that look or even want to wear it, go for it.

It doesn't matter where you got it from (as long as it has a name on it). What you do with it is what matters.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems that specific stuff like their chinos are good (classic, slim cut) and just bought a dress shirt there, overpriced but a decent fit. But dressing 100% J Crew is pretty obvious, kind of like buying all the stuff in your house from Pottery Barn.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
I also just recently pulled the trigger on a $150 pair of vintage selvege skinny jeans.

You can get APCs or Nudies for the same price. I'd rather have those than a pair of J Crew jeans. They're decent, but not for that price.

s4usea

Reaction score
It bothers me that the J Crew mens suiting does not include the details that their women suits do such as pic stitching and surgeon's cuffs. Also, although the construction is the same, the men's suits are usually 1/3 more in cost.

For the rest of it it's geared towards college kids or those that want to still dress like they are both in college and a kid. They don't even carry shoes you can wear in a non-casual business environment anymore.

Their cashmere sweaters are a good deal though, but they're cheaper at Banks for the same construction.

All in all when compared to the women's line the men's come up way short. I remember when it wasn't always that way.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Actually, your post makes me feel relieved that you dislike my shirt
wink.gif

Luckily your opinion is of little value to me. As someone else mentioned, I think I had that shirt in 1992- I got it at Filene's Basement.
frown.gif

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
overall I like Jcrew...I wish more of it fit me better but count me in as a fan of their overall aesthetic and product

I dont get why everyone says it's "overpriced", most every single item is under $100. It's not H&M cheap but in the grand scheme of "nicer" clothes it's priced well for what it is. I get that you can get it on sale for cheap, but if you had to buy it at retail I don't think it's "overpriced".

I think some things are overpriced I guess. The offer good basics in a particular aesthetic, one which I think I probably subscribe to.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it already time again for another J.Crew thread? I guess it has been about a week or so since the last one.

I'm curious to see what your thoughts are of their fall line.
It's really really good.

J Simulcik

Reaction score
I like them for some pieces, usually on sale. Growing up in the Mid-Atlantic, they were part of the 3J clothing triumvirate: J crew, J press, J mclaughlin.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I thought he said TJmaxx? Cant you keep your bargain bins straight?
smile.gif

At least I found a fellow Rangers fan.

Potato, po-tah-to...

I have to give you credit, you're a jovial troll.

Tcameron

Reaction score
I like J. Crew stuff, but my body type is not in the same aestetic as the ideal J Crewist. Most things are a tad small, but not in an insulting way like H&M.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads