• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quoddy Boat Shoes MEGATHREAK

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like secret mob-business just went down...

and yeah, Quoddy just hiked their prices. I guess handsewing in ME costs.

Cali

Reaction score
Wow, got my order in just before prices changed.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn this is what I get for waiting until next spring to justify a fourth pair or boat shoes (not all quoddy though).

Lysol

Reaction score
Does anyone know what would prompt such a price increase? I was quite happy to receive my first pair of the blucher mocs a month or so back and found the price reasonable for what they were. They have quickly become my favorite weekend and lazy after work shoes. At close to $200 with shipping for my next pair, I'm going to seriously have to take a second look and a second purchase -- which is disappointing.

I understand that Quoddy's boat shoes have quickly become flavor-of-the-minute with the fashion set but should this interest raise prices? We're not talking 15% either, it's 50%. When everyone is over Vampire Weekend and moves on from their city-wearing boat shoe phase, is the average middle age, outdoor enthusiast really going to cough up 200 bones for weekend walkers? LL Bean's comparable blucher mocs, while the leather is of lesser quality, are $75 and I can purchase instore. Can Quoddy's workmanship demand a $125 difference?

Cali

Reaction score
I feel the exact same way, but we kind of expect these types of businesses to not act like businesses - i.e. try to make money. If demand has risen significantly, and it is not feasible for them to just hire more craftsmen because of the skills involved this is the only way for them to make more money.

It will be interesting to see if they only raise the direct sales prices but keep their retailer prices low - maybe they want to move away from direct sales.

I just wish they had kept the hike to about 15%. If they start losing enough sales maybe they will go back down - at this price point Russell becomes more competition and has tons more options for leathers, soles and custom lasting.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
Can Quoddy's workmanship demand a $125 difference?
I'd say so. To be honest I was always surprised that they were so cheap.

Possible reasons for price increases:

* Leather or other raw material prices shot up.
* They want to be able to output more by hiring more people.
* They simply want to make more money.
* They're tired of getting a barrage of emails and phone calls from angry hipsters and i-gents asking where their boat shoes are.

I could see them going in the direction of Alden, where they only sell to retailers.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Well a lot of companies are increasing their prices, and I think that even with this large price increase the Quoddy shoes are still a tremendous deal. They are still handmade and sewn in Maine, and thats all I care about really. I would much rather have them increase their prices than outsource their labor.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cali
It will be interesting to see if they only raise the direct sales prices but keep their retailer prices low - maybe they want to move away from direct sales.
That could also be an option. Doing one-offs and custom jobs take a lot of time and interrupt their regular production.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$290 for the goddamn ring boots from $185. Too slow on the trigger finger.
frown.gif
frown.gif

To be honest I was always surprised that they were so cheap.
+1, but I'm still disappointed.

Oxnard

Reaction score
Just noticed the size 12 brown bluchers on south willard have been purchased
frown.gif
, I wonder when the price hikes will start hitting retailers? Still havn't found many online retailers outside of south willard that actually have items in stock.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I'd say so. To be honest I was always surprised that they were so cheap. Possible reasons for price increases: * Leather or other raw material prices shot up. * They want to be able to output more by hiring more people. * They simply want to make more money. * They're tired of getting a barrage of emails and phone calls from angry hipsters and i-gents asking where their boat shoes are. I could see them going in the direction of Alden, where they only sell to retailers.
Of those four explanations only the first one is a plausible explanation to a customer and I can't imagine the cost of goods increasing so much to warrant a 50% increase. Increasing workforce to keep up with demand by all logic should lower prices and making more money is well within their right but it doesn't meant I have to accept it. I appreciate that their shoes are still handmade and in the USA and that the quality is better than the competition but, at the end of the day, they are still casual moccassins with a rubber sole. Is that a staple item that needs to be so artisan in craftsmanship that your average consumer can justify paying triple than a similar item? I rarely get sticker shock on anything anymore and I'm even considering the cost vs. usage. More than anything, I'm just curious who makes up their customer base. Are 60 year old fishermen willing to drop 2 bills on shoes to walk the dog in? After all, these aren't boots or dress shoes we're talking about which most people would look at as an investment. When the dust has settled, and South Willard, Oi Polloi, and Superfuture have moved on, is their previous customer base that has kept them in business for 100 years going to be ok with a 50% increase? It seems like such a short sighted move. As always though, I could be entirely wrong.

Cali

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oxnard
Just noticed the size 12 brown bluchers on south willard have been purchased
frown.gif
, I wonder when the price hikes will start hitting retailers? Still havn't found many online retailers outside of south willard that actually have items in stock.

Yeah, we will see when they try to restock - things are flying off the digital shelves as we speak. Hope my blutchers from south willard get here soon
laugh.gif
*edit - I didn't swoop you I got the black ones

Oxnard

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
Of those four explanations only the first one is a plausible explanation to a customer and I can't imagine the cost of goods increasing so much to warrant a 50% increase.

Increasing workforce to keep up with demand by all logic should lower prices and making more money is well within their right but it doesn't meant I have to accept it. I appreciate that their shoes are still handmade and in the USA and that the quality is better than the competition but, at the end of the day, they are still casual moccassins with a rubber sole. Is that a staple item that needs to be so artisan in craftsmanship that your average consumer can justify paying triple than a similar item? I rarely get sticker shock on anything anymore and I'm even considering the cost vs. usage.

More than anything, I'm just curious who makes up their customer base. Are 60 year old fishermen willing to drop 2 bills on shoes to walk the dog in? After all, these aren't boots or dress shoes we're talking about which most people would look at as an investment. When the dust has settled, and South Willard, Oi Polloi, and Superfuture have moved on, is their previous customer base that has kept them in business for 100 years going to be ok with a 50% increase? It seems like such a short sighted move.

As always though, I could be entirely wrong.

Yeah, one has to wonder why a company would suddenly increase their prices by 50%+. I imagine the prices will be even higher when it hits retailers, as the website had prices that were normally lower than the retail prices (i.e., the webstore was selling the bluchers for about around $105 whereas South Willard had them for $120) While the cost of raw materials and everything else has gone up, my guess is that this was mainly driven by the fact that, swamped with demand, they wanted to make more money, as they have every right to. As Lysol pointed out though, I wonder how this will affect them in the years to come. I know for now, that while I absolutely love my black bluchers that ive had for about two months, I am now considering getting a pair of Russel Mocs instead of a pair of the various ankle boots/ring boots/chukkas that Quoddy makes since they are almost just as expensive.

breakdown

Reaction score
Wow. I ordered just in time, I don't think I would have purchased them at the current price, though for hand made to order, it does seem relatively justified.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads