• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Zegna suits

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
Hi Jumbie,

Price is going to be from $599 to around $750 (for 3 piece suits in super 150's). We will offer suit separates in medium gray, dark charcoal gray, and navy blue. Major features include:

Jacket:

1. Basted sleeves to allow for functional sleeve buttons

2. Demi-luna pocket reinforcement stitching

3. Checkbook wallet for inside right breast pocket AND left breast pocket, both with buttoned flaps

4. Boutonnière loop under left lapel

5. Pick-stitching throughout - inside and out

6. 5 Inner jacket pockets

7. Hand stitched arm holes

8. Full Canvass construction

9. Corozo buttons

10. Fabrics of super 120's - super 150's

Pants:

1. Belt keeper loop

2. Rubber grips on waistband

3. Coin pocket separator inside right front pocket

4. Split V-back waist

5. Suspender buttons

6. Inner curtained waist band

7. Triple button tab front closure

8. Lined to knee

Feel free to email me directly with any specific questions or concerns: [email protected]

-Ben

Ben couple questions:
1. you had said "one of which will be a slim-fitting suit similar to the style of Z Zegna but will be full canvassed", what's the other model?
2. When do you expect the line to come out? I'm in the market for a MTM/Bespoke suit, certainly interested in what you have offer.

Matt B

Reaction score
Hi Jumbie,

Price is going to be from $599 to around $750 (for 3 piece suits in super 150's). We will offer suit separates in medium gray, dark charcoal gray, and navy blue. Major features include:

Jacket:

1. Basted sleeves to allow for functional sleeve buttons

2. Demi-luna pocket reinforcement stitching

3. Checkbook wallet for inside right breast pocket AND left breast pocket, both with buttoned flaps

4. Boutonnière loop under left lapel

5. Pick-stitching throughout - inside and out

6. 5 Inner jacket pockets

7. Hand stitched arm holes

8. Full Canvass construction

9. Corozo buttons

10. Fabrics of super 120's - super 150's

Pants:

1. Belt keeper loop

2. Rubber grips on waistband

3. Coin pocket separator inside right front pocket

4. Split V-back waist

5. Suspender buttons

6. Inner curtained waist band

7. Triple button tab front closure

8. Lined to knee

Feel free to email me directly with any specific questions or concerns: [email protected]

-Ben

If you are able to bring these features for these prices, then I have no doubt you will find a market. As I mentioned in another thread, Chinese-made Banana Republic 3 piece suit separates are totalling > $900 CAD.
confused.gif

Where will your suits be made?

M

c3cubed

Reaction score
You're offering authentic Zegna mill fabric suits at these prices?

Where on earth are they being made?

You could add a grand to the price and still be competitive: I have a few of their Swiss-made summerweight jackets with half lining and while beautifully finished inside and out, paid over $2K for each.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
Ben couple questions:
1. you had said "one of which will be a slim-fitting suit similar to the style of Z Zegna but will be full canvassed", what's the other model?
2. When do you expect the line to come out? I'm in the market for a MTM/Bespoke suit, certainly interested in what you have offer.

Thanks for your interest.

The other model will be more classic - perhaps similar to Isaia but with slightly more forgiving armholes but still overall a slimmer silhouette.

We plan to launch later this Fall in October, but bear in mind these will be OTR and not made to measure. We MAY consider a made to measure program in the future, but for now will keep with OTR.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt B
If you are able to bring these features for these prices, then I have no doubt you will find a market. As I mentioned in another thread, Chinese-made Banana Republic 3 piece suit separates are totalling > $900 CAD.
confused.gif

Where will your suits be made?

M

Our suits are being made in Beijing, China. Despite the overall negative stigma attached to the "Made In China" tag, we have found the quality of this particular manufacturer to be incredible and the conditions of the workplace and treatment of employees to be impressive enough such that I myself wouldn't mind working there (the workers all have their own brownstones and no one there appears to be younger than 25 years old - and they all dress UP for work - just not the guys running the steam machines). It is far from being a stereo-typical "sweat shop". And I myself am Chinese as well and do speak Mandarin, albeit poorly since I was born here with English speaking parents.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed
You're offering authentic Zegna mill fabric suits at these prices?

Where on earth are they being made?

You could add a grand to the price and still be competitive: I have a few of their Swiss-made summerweight jackets with half lining and while beautifully finished inside and out, paid over $2K for each.

Thanks for the question and the opportunity to clarify: These are not Zegna fabrics - at least not in the initial offering. We are considering getting some premium fabrics for future production from Zegna, Loro Piana and Carlo Barbera, etc and have already contacted fabric closeout sellers in Italy.

As stated in a previous post these suits are being made in Beijing, China.

While it'd be nice to add $1,000 to each, we want to be fair on our pricing and ultimately present a suit which, in my experience, embodies most of the qualities of a $2,000+ garment but without the enormous mark-up that the other luxury brands factor in.

I should also take this opportunity to apologize to all, especially the OP, for completely hijacking this thread - this was not my intention.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The regular Zegna garments are made with Italian fabric; the fabric in the Z Zegna suits is mostly made in Mexico- this allows the garment to enter the US under NAFTA, which is another big $$ savings. The fabric mill is run by Koreans and the quality is actually pretty good- Samuelsohn and Jack Victor also buy fabric from this mill.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
The regular Zegna garments are made with Italian fabric; the fabric in the Z Zegna suits is mostly made in Mexico- this allows the garment to enter the US under NAFTA, which is another big $$ savings. The fabric mill is run by Koreans and the quality is actually pretty good- Samuelsohn and Jack Victor also buy fabric from this mill.

It was my understanding that the mills and factories outside of Italy are still run by Zegna - as in operated by Zegna trained people (at least this is the push-back they feed the media when fingers are pointed at them for producing in Mexico and China).

jasonsun

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest.

The other model will be more classic - perhaps similar to Isaia but with slightly more forgiving armholes but still overall a slimmer silhouette.

We plan to launch later this Fall in October, but bear in mind these will be OTR and not made to measure. We MAY consider a made to measure program in the future, but for now will keep with OTR.

Our suits are being made in Beijing, China. Despite the overall negative stigma attached to the "Made In China" tag, we have found the quality of this particular manufacturer to be incredible and the conditions of the workplace and treatment of employees to be impressive enough such that I myself wouldn't mind working there (the workers all have their own brownstones and no one there appears to be younger than 25 years old - and they all dress UP for work - just not the guys running the steam machines). It is far from being a stereo-typical "sweat shop". And I myself am Chinese as well and do speak Mandarin, albeit poorly since I was born here with English speaking parents.

Where is our shop? I know it's located in NJ; certainly would love to visit when i'm near the neighborhood when visiting my parents. They are near Plainsboro.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should also take this opportunity to apologize to all, especially the OP, for completely hijacking this thread - this was not my intention.

Technically, the fault is mine. I did consider that that would be the result but, well,
eh.gif

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
Where is our shop? I know it's located in NJ; certainly would love to visit when i'm near the neighborhood when visiting my parents. They are near Plainsboro.

We actually don't have a storefront, nor do we allow customer into our warehouse. On occasion we have met with customers at a local tailor shop in Glen Rock, NJ and we've brought select items of interest to the customer. If such an arrangement would interest you feel free to drop me a line.

jasonsun

Reaction score
We actually don't have a storefront, nor do we allow customer into our warehouse. On occasion we have met with customers at a local tailor shop in Glen Rock, NJ and we've brought select items of interest to the customer. If such an arrangement would interest you feel free to drop me a line.

Absolutely, when you have the ORT stuff up and running, i'll definitely like to see the fabric and try the cuts.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the mills and factories outside of Italy are still run by Zegna - as in operated by Zegna trained people (at least this is the push-back they feed the media when fingers are pointed at them for producing in Mexico and China).

The factory in Mexico is run by Zegna, but they don't have any fabric mills in Mexico. In order to qualify for NAFTA the fabric needs to origin within the NAFTA zone so they buy most of their Z goods from the Korean-run mill. The Z is still, IMHO, the nicest suit around at that price point.

ZengaGent

Reaction score
Things that may interest those curious about Zegna (speaking from experience as I've used the Su Misura service a fair bit):

- Mainline Zegna is fully canvassed (i.e. there is a layer of canvas between the panels of the suit that is stiched in place, and not glued). Z Zegna, as mentioned above is fused (glue job).

- Mainline Zegna comes in two models: The Roma (Classical Northern Italian w/ strong shoulders) and the Milano (A new block w/ softer shoulders; more fitted). Apparently, the Roma block has recently been changed so that it has a more fitted look; not as much as the Milano; but better waist suppression than the previous block. Notwithstanding, the Roma (old or new) can look quite large on the slim and lanky, unless you have the height and the shoulder mass to pull it off.

- Mainline Zegna is largely machine-made, with limited handwork. Zegna Couture (top-line) offers more handwork, but again, the cut is different (heavier, and very distinct roping on the shoulders).

- Unless altered to fit, the quarters on Zegna Mainline are quite closed. Even with their Su Misura (Made to Measure) service, you must literally insist on waist suppression and open quarters to get the ultra-conservative tailors to do it! This is extremely puzzling as the Zegna suits on their website seem to have a good amount of suppression and distinctly open quarters.

- Zegna Mainline is made in factories around Europe. Su Misura, if purchased outside of Italy, comes from their Swiss factory.

- Fabrics are claimed to be their own. In order, these include:
Sartoria (Super 100)
Traveller Micronsphere (Crease-resistant)
Trofeo (Super 120, I think)
Trofeo Silk (Wool and silk)
15 MilMil 15 (Super 150)
14 MilMil 14 (Super 160, one of their new topline fabrics)

- Not too sure about Z Zegna (sorry)

Best regards,
ZegnaGent
smile.gif

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I thought Trofeo" was Super 100's. Well, whatever it is, their super 100's is probably far superior to the "Super 150's" that many no-name brand suits are claiming to have these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads