• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the problem with centre vents?

True North

Reaction score
I have seen some implied dislike for centre vents on SF. Besides the supposed American-ness of them, what is the issue aesthetically? I personally like them because I feel that face-on, a lot of side vents suits I try on have more hip flare than I would like, which distracts from a sleek silhouette (not that I am adverse to side vents).

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by True North
I have seen some implied dislike for centre vents on SF. Besides the supposed American-ness of them, what is the issue aesthetically? I personally like them because I feel that face-on, a lot of side vents suits I try on have more hip flare than I would like, which distracts from a sleek silhouette (not that I am adverse to side vents).

If the side vents are flaring, then the suit does not fit properly. Center vents open up to reveal your rear, which most people find inelegant, distracting and unflattering.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're boring.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
If the side vents are flaring, then the suit does not fit properly. Center vents open up to reveal your rear, which most people find inelegant, distracting and unflattering.

Si. I think it happens more so if you get suppression due to your drop on a RTW. I don't know how it would look MTM, but I can't do single vent.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't mind the single vent. In fact I kinda like like the minimalist concept of it on a dark and slim jacket.

Skyler

Reaction score
The aesthetic problem w/ a center vent is that when it opens due to the natural/quotidian movements of a man (i.e., man puts hands in pockets, man crosses arms, man genuflects before an altar, etc., etc.) the split in the rear center vent reveals a man's most inelegant feature: his ASS.

Not good.

Who, after all, wants to look at your ass.

The same aesthetic problem, of course, does not apply to the fairer sex because a lady's bottom is - aesthetically speaking - well, an attractive asset. A good thing.

Not so, thankfully, w/ men. This is why most gentlemen of taste and discrimination (i.e., good sense) prefer either the double or ventless jacket, since is tends to flatter a man's more attractive assets (shoulders, waist) while de-emphasizing his least attractive qualities, i.e., his ASS.

Think about... But not too much.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if you have a nice ass though?

Skyler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
What if you have a nice ass though?

Then you've thought about it - and your ass - too much. Much too much.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a good looking single vented suit. Because I prefer slimmer fits two vents always contribute to the sillouhette of the garment, single vents don't. I was surprised to see Bernard Arnault wearing one but it may be a French thing.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During the last years I have had all my suits and woolen sport coats made with side vents. But, for some reason, I have had some linen jackets made with centre vents. I do not really know why, I just felt like it and my tailor had nothing to object.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skyler
... the aesthetic problem w/ a center vent is that when it opens due to the natural/quotidian movements of a man (i.e., man puts hands in pockets, man crosses arms, man genuflects before an altar, etc., etc.) the split in the rear center vent reveals a man's most inelegant feature: his ASS.

Not good.

Who, after all, wants to look at your ass.

The same aesthetic problem, of course, does not apply to the fairer sex because a lady's bottom is - aesthetically speaking - well, an attractive asset. A good thing.

+1
laugh.gif

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only problem I have with single vented jackets is that I have a bit of a sprinter's ass (and it's spectacular!) and sometimes the center vents don't close properly even when I don't have my hands in my pockets. Most center vents don't have this problem (at least for me), but I have to be very careful of buying center vented jackets off this B&S.

The whole idea of being afraid of your ass showing is a bit over the top, don't you think? After all, I would guess most of us wear pants, so our asses really don't show. In addition, you really shouldn't be having your hands in your pockets anyway except to retrieve something. Even if you do put your hands in your pockets and your center vent flares, do you honestly think people are going to think badly of you? More than likely, you're the best dressed guy in the office. Also, if you're in decent shape, I can promise you that women do not mind seeing a liitle of your backside every now and then.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
The whole idea of being afraid of your ass showing is a bit over the top, don't you think? After all, I would guess most of us wear pants, so our asses really don't show. In addition, you really shouldn't be having your hands in your pockets anyway except to retrieve something. Even if you do put your hands in your pockets and your center vent flares, do you honestly think people are going to think badly of you? More than likely, you're the best dressed guy in the office. Also, if you're in decent shape, I can promise you that women do not mind seeing a liitle of your backside every now and then.

Good post. I agree completely.

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Double vents always feel more free and l believe they are superior to single vents. Single vents can be more restrictive and it's harder to get to the back pocket. l would imagine the double drape over the back of the body better too and avoids the rear/bottom/cheeks sticking out too much. l'm no expert, but that is my experience.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole idea of being afraid of your ass showing is a bit over the top, don't you think?
+ 1

In addition, you really shouldn't be having your hands in your pockets anyway except to retrieve something.
I do not think that there should be anything to retrieve in the pockets of your suit pants. A gentleman is not supposed to carry around a lot of things, and for the few things he may have to carry around, the inside pockets of the jacket will suffice. Thus, no reason to put your hands in your pant pockets ever. If it is cold, then you put on your overcoat which will surely have some pockets for your hands.
Pocket tennis is not an appropriate occupation for a gentleman. Also, if you are observed while playing pocket tennis, the observer is not likely to pay a lot of attention to your vents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads