• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My favorite ambers are Parfum d'empire Ambre Russe (thick, boozy, but not as cloying as Lutens tends to be on me), L'artisan L'eau D'ambre (a light, but still very nice amber), and Creed's Ambre Canelle. The latter was a completely surprise for me; if you expect Creed to be nice, classy, and a little "safe," get ready for a change. It's rather dark, thick, and even a little smutty.

By the way, Thomas, (total change of subject), but speaking of smutty... did you ever try Alexander McQueen Kingdom? If so... I'm curious to hear your thoughts. If not... well... try to get a decant. I'd be curious to hear your impression.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
My favorite ambers are Parfum d'empire Ambre Russe (thick, boozy, but not as cloying as Lutens tends to be on me), L'artisan L'eau D'ambre (a light, but still very nice amber), and Creed's Ambre Canelle. The latter was a completely surprise for me; if you expect Creed to be nice, classy, and a little "safe," get ready for a change. It's rather dark, thick, and even a little smutty.

By the way, Thomas, (total change of subject), but speaking of smutty... did you ever try Alexander McQueen Kingdom? If so... I'm curious to hear your thoughts. If not... well... try to get a decant. I'd be curious to hear your impression.

As it turns out I like MPG Ambre Precieux, LOVE TF Amber Absolute, and will give Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre another test spin when it gets cooler.

As for Kingdom: I
inlove.gif
Kingdom. Mrs. Thomas has positive feelings about this one, too.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
As it turns out I like MPG Ambre Precieux, LOVE TF Amber Absolute, and will give Yves Rocher Voile d'Ambre another test spin when it gets cooler.

I haven't tried any of those, but definitely have the TF on my radar. I went through an MPG phase and had five or six, but Ambre Precieux wasn't one of them (Parfum d'habit was interesting, but weird ((like a sweet, sugary syrup poured on a wool jacket)), Racine, Fraiche Badiane, Centaur, and one or two others that I can't remember now). I didn't LOVE any of them enough to keep trying the line, though, so I moved on to some others.

I thought you'd like Kingdom... call it a hunch.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't tried any of those, but definitely have the TF on my radar. I went through an MPG phase and had five or six, but Ambre Precieux wasn't one of them (Parfum d'habit was interesting, but weird ((like a sweet, sugary syrup poured on a wool jacket)), Racine, Fraiche Badiane, Centaur, and one or two others that I can't remember now). I didn't LOVE any of them enough to keep trying the line, though, so I moved on to some others.

I thought you'd like Kingdom... call it a hunch.

The only reason I tried Ambre Precieux was - another member on this board asked for opinions, and I know an amber fiend on another board (well, Mando) who offered the remainder of his AP decant. He and another member really really liked it so I thought, why not. It took a few tries to come around (same with AA) but it's a winner.

Re: Kingdom - I don't recall telling anyone I stopped wearing deodorant, but somehow it seems appropriate to mention here. After a few hours the rose unfolds and it's bee-utiful.

Vivek

Reaction score
I've got Kingdom in the rare Parfum concentration, and it's fantastic. Imagine the EdP, more concentrated, skankier and slightly less sweet. Perfection, I think so.

SotD: Tom Ford Moss Breches
A fantastic honey-ed dusty woody smell, that just evokes an old ancient forest with pools of honey.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idole de Lubin

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wondered and wondered about an appropriate summer scent - not like I'm running short on them, but I wanted something out of my usual fare. So I went with the incense/lemon CDG 2 Man. This is a strange one but I love it nevertheless. However, at least twice now I've forgotten what exactly I'm wearing. I think I'm slipping a bit here.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vivek
I've got Kingdom in the rare Parfum concentration, and it's fantastic. Imagine the EdP, more concentrated, skankier and slightly less sweet. Perfection, I think so. SotD: Tom Ford Moss Breches A fantastic honey-ed dusty woody smell, that just evokes an old ancient forest with pools of honey.
Wow... Kingdom Parfum? Sounds intriguing and something I'd love to try. What a find! I really want to give all the TF Private Blend a try... I'm holding off only because I know if I start, I won't be able to stop and that stuff is too pricey to get hooked!

xian

Reaction score
Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens. I just got it today, and I already love it. Perfect when autumn is almost here.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm. a skankier, drier version of Kingdom. OMG. I love it already.

Today - the other side of the spectrum - Monsieur de Givenchy. A swap that actually worked out! Starts like any cologne - lemon/citrus, and moved into a dry spicy powder. Not my first choice but a winner nevertheless. Bonus: very inexpensive if you find it at a Marshalls or Ross.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ Did you find any more bottles of this?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't recognize you at first with the new Avatar, Thomas. I'd just about gotten used to that oddly smiling devilish figure you were sporting.

Anyway, a vintage formulation of Chanel no. 19 for me today, with lots of oakmossy goodness.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't recognize you at first with the new Avatar, Thomas. I'd just about gotten used to that oddly smiling devilish figure you were sporting.(...)

Yeah, I got new glasses, and people tell me I look different now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads