• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Zegna suits

pfloyd

Reaction score
So I don't really need suits for my current job as I wear them like 4-5 times a year. But I am looking for a few new suits as the last time I bought suits was 7 years ago. I am curious what the difference between a regular Zegna suit and a Z Zegna suit is beyond the fact that one label says made in Italy and the other says made in Mexico. I don't mind paying almost $3000 for the Zegna suit, I just am curious as to the main quality difference as I try and decide whether its worth the extra $2000 because looking at the suits I cannot tell the difference.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Zenga Z is fused. I would never pay $3000 for an OTR suit...Are you considering MTM or bespoke?

pfloyd

Reaction score
Could you please explain what fused means? I have just started looking into this topic which means it consisted of me going to Saks and Barney's and looking at their selection. I looked at some brands of companies who pants I wear to work each day like Zegna and Canali. I was just struck by the price difference in the Zegna suits and was curious as to the quality difference. I felt I would get a more honest answer at this forum than from a sales guy.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfloyd
Could you please explain what fused means? I have just started looking into this topic which means it consisted of me going to Saks and Barney's and looking at their selection. I looked at some brands of companies who pants I wear to work each day like Zegna and Canali. I was just struck by the price difference in the Zegna suits and was curious as to the quality difference. I felt I would get a more honest answer at this forum than from a sales guy.

See http://styleforum.pbwiki.com/Tailored+clothing

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few days back I actually started a thread, hopefully containing pictures, that would explain and show what some of these "handmade" details that we on this forum obsess over.

A general lack of interest allowed the thread to die an early death.

Happydayz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
A few days back I actually started a thread, hopefully containing pictures, that would explain and show what some of these "handmade" details that we on this forum obsess over.

A general lack of interest allowed the thread to die an early death.

would always be something that's helpful to have on hand. I know that I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure that others would as well

pfloyd

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful replies so far. So let me ask this, is the fabric the same and it is just a difference in the way the suit is made and certain details that someone like myself who is not an expert in this area really notices?

drducky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfloyd
Thanks for the helpful replies so far. So let me ask this, is the fabric the same and it is just a difference in the way the suit is made and certain details that someone like myself who is not an expert in this area really notices?

while I haven't done direct comparisons of similar fabrics, mainline Zegna and the couture line should have significantly nicer fabrics.. the zegna labels rank the fabrics with Z-Zegna giving a number and mainline/couture using letters (Z being the finest fabrics and earlier letters being a bit more hardy)
in addition, while some of the hand-finishing details might not be apparent to the uninitiated, the difference between a canvassed jacket, and most fused jackets will be apparent with a single wearing.. the fully canvassed should mold to your frame and feel less stiff (most guys' complaint about wearing a jacket in the first place)

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drducky
while I haven't done direct comparisons of similar fabrics, mainline Zegna and the couture line should have significantly nicer fabrics.. the zegna labels rank the fabrics with Z-Zegna giving a number and mainline/couture using letters (Z being the finest fabrics and earlier letters being a bit more hardy)
in addition, while some of the hand-finishing details might not be apparent to the uninitiated, the difference between a canvassed jacket, and most fused jackets will be apparent with a single wearing.. the fully canvassed should mold to your frame and feel less stiff (most guys' complaint about wearing a jacket in the first place)

Good answer.

In addition, Z Zegna suits tend to be more fashion forward, both in fabric patterns, fabric content, as well as style and overall silhouette.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sort of off topic, but did anyone notice the latest bloomingdales spread in GQ (or was it Men's Vogue) with a Zegna suit misspelled "Zenga"? Isn't that the knock-off brand that Tea Leone bought for Nicholas Cage in "The Family Man"?!

pfloyd

Reaction score
On the same topic: Z-zegna brand was mentioned to me because I am a slim guy and they were mentioned as a good suit for slim guys. Are there other brands people would suggest for slim men?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
A similar question was posed, but with a $300 - $600 price range as part of the criteria:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=75628

We at eHaberdasher.com are also launching our own line of full canvass tailored clothing later this Fall and will introduce 2 models, one of which will be a slim-fitting suit similar to the style of Z Zegna but will be full canvassed and have (in our opinion) much better quality, construction and details.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
We at eHaberdasher.com are also launching our own line of full canvass tailored clothing later this Fall and will introduce 2 models, one of which will be a slim-fitting suit similar to the style of Z Zegna but will be full canvassed and have (in our opinion) much better quality, construction and details.

Sounds interesting. And good.

Any idea of expected price? I'm not really on the market for a suit (though I do want a blazer or sport coat) but I am curious.

Thanks and good luck with your launch.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jumbie,

Price is going to be from $599 to around $750 (for 3 piece suits in super 150's). We will offer suit separates in medium gray, dark charcoal gray, and navy blue. Major features include:

Jacket:

1. Basted sleeves to allow for functional sleeve buttons

2. Demi-luna pocket reinforcement stitching

3. Checkbook wallet for inside right breast pocket AND left breast pocket, both with buttoned flaps

4. Boutonnière loop under left lapel

5. Pick-stitching throughout - inside and out

6. 5 Inner jacket pockets

7. Hand stitched arm holes

8. Full Canvass construction

9. Corozo buttons

10. Fabrics of super 120's - super 150's

Pants:

1. Belt keeper loop

2. Rubber grips on waistband

3. Coin pocket separator inside right front pocket

4. Split V-back waist

5. Suspender buttons

6. Inner curtained waist band

7. Triple button tab front closure

8. Lined to knee

Feel free to email me directly with any specific questions or concerns: [email protected]

-Ben

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Thanks for the info. As I said, not on the market for a suit just yet but good to have options.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics