• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Like My New Brioni?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vintage Brioni from the 60's and 70's tends to be either very tacky or very cool. I'd say this is the latter.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Vintage Brioni from the 60's and 70's tends to be either very tacky or very cool. I'd say this is the latter.
It seems Brionis of those eras are rather more difficult to find compared to say, Oxxford. This jacket also has the original "Roman Style" hanger.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Where will you wear it, LK?

modmica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris

Yes, I like this one quite a bit. Some have a more (what I would call) western style that I don't like. In particular, there's a back seam treatment that seems common on Brioni jackets of that era. It has two seams that start wide at the shoulders and then curve in toward each other, running closer together and parallel near the bottom of the jacket. Yuck.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Where will you wear it, LK?

I am envisioning it with slightly boot-cut grey flannel dress trousers, black Chelseas and a brown sweater. Perhaps my green alligator skin belt.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I am envisioning it with slightly boot-cut grey flannel dress trousers, black Chelseas and a brown sweater. Perhaps my green alligator skin belt.

Sounds like a good pairing. Would the sweater be a turtleneck? Where did you find this?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got these things at an estate sale.

Some of my favorite items have been estate sale finds--one simply can't get these sorts of things today even if one went high-end custom.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was expecting something outrageously unwearable on opening this thread, but that jacket seems very wearable for a walk in the countryside or similar occasion.

LK, you're slacking!!
smile.gif

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Its quite like it...its unique but still very wearable.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
huh. Reminds me of a suit we currently have listed on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130244623865

Funny thing is, I don't think ours is more than 7 or 8 years old - still new with tags and has the current Brioni scripting on the label and lining. Similar funky stitching - admittedly the stitching doesn't show very well - we didn't use a flash.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
huh. Reminds me of a suit we currently have listed on ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130244623865

Funny thing is, I don't think ours is more than 7 or 8 years old - still new with tags and has the current Brioni scripting on the label and lining. Similar funky stitching - admittedly the stitching doesn't show very well - we didn't use a flash.

That looks a bit older than 7 or 8 years, I think. I know they did those Western styled details in the '70s, but I'm not sure when they ended that.

The stitching on my jacket is very obvious even without a camera flash. It's something you can instantly see if a person is wearing it.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It may be, but not by much. It's certainly not from the 70's or 80's - I'm not sure when exactly Brioni changed their scripting to the current font style, in addition the inside fabric/size label is the same kind they currently use - not the old generic US/EUR size label (which doesn't indicate fabric content at all). I believe they switched that over some time in the mid to late 90's.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen two kinds of Brioni script. The original Brioni script was a kind of Gothic lettering with a polo player logo. It seems after that came the script that we now associate with the brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads