• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mljones99
I always have Maker's Mark on hand for whiskey sours (my favorite drink) and then will have some Blantons to drink on the rocks.

God, I love Blanton's. I hand wrote the distiller a letter a few years ago to express my appreciation. He responded by sending me a pretty cool "Blanton's" embroidered button up and a standing invitation to come down whenever so he could give me a tour. I thought that was pretty neat.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Not trying to convert you, just spreading the love -- try Dalwhinnie sometimes.

Ah! I must buy -- it's the last of the Schaefferstown, PA whisky. Once it's gone, it's gone...

Better buy quick. I bought five bottles of the 20 year about 10 years ago for $120 each. The last time I found a bottle on Ebay it sold for $500. That's assuming you can find any.

KBW

Reaction score
sorry for the crappy iPhone pic...picked up some Blanton's this afternoon on the way back from the office.

IMG_0010.jpg

KBW

Reaction score
I also agree with several of the other posters here that Maker's is terrible. The cool bottle IMO is the only reason it sells. I have two bottles up front on my bar (they were gifts) that are placed where they are so that HOPEFULLY someone else that is at my place drinks those up before they try to get into my good stuff.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I also agree with several of the other posters here that Maker's is terrible. The cool bottle IMO is the only reason it sells. I have two bottles up front on my bar (they were gifts) that are placed where they are so that HOPEFULLY someone else that is at my place drinks those up before they try to get into my good stuff.

I like Maker's. It's not Blanton's, but it doesn't cost as much either.

borderline

Reaction score
Gotta chime in. I love bourbon with a couple of ice cubes, especially during the summer.

My ranking:

1) Knob Creek (obviously)
2) Woodford Reserve
3) Basil Hayden
4) Jim Beam Black label, which is remarkably good for the price

Not a Maker's fan.

KBW

Reaction score
I like Woodford and I buy bulliett (sp?) when I'm mixing it with something. Other than that I drink more of the high end single barrels more often than I drink the cheaper stuff. At work we drink Jim Beam black (I don't buy it).

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm drinking Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1998 right now. I'd never had it before. Believe it or not, it's very good.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm drinking evan williams too but this ain't no fancy single barrel crap

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
i'm drinking evan williams too but this ain't no fancy single barrel crap

I only paid $24.50 for the fancy single barrel. Not that expensive, but seriously good.

funkfunkfunk

Reaction score
Knobb is def my go-to bourbon. It's so ******* ballsy and rough but at the same time the flavours are clear and easy to find.

Woodford is good, but I find it a little too "soft" and cinnamon-y.

Rip Van winkle is like drinking butterscotch; sweet enough to be desert.

Evan Williams single barrel is a great drink and mostly a steal at its price.

Old charter is my recent favorite, has an almost scotchy brine to it.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Given the topic of this thread, my interview with Fred Noe seems relevant.

Originally Posted by LifeEpicurean.com
Appropriately enough, we begin our Bourbon Barons series with Frederick B. Noe III, seventh generation distiller of Jim Beam Brands Co. For many, Jim Beam was their introduction into the world of bourbon - from drinking it straight, to its mixibility in shots and cocktails. Many of us can recall in our young and formidable college years when Jim Beam served as a reliable standby to take our minds off the stresses of academia, and just the stresses of life in general. Simple, sweet, and palatable.

As we grow older and our tastes mature, Jim Beam Brands too grows with us offering a wide selection of bourbons. Going down their product line, the bourbon drinker can progress from Jim Beam, to Jim Beam Black, aged 8 years at 86 proof, to Jim Beam Choice, their only charcoal filtered Bourbon, to finally Jim Beam's Small Batch Collection, boasting four of the finest and most sophisticated Bourbons on the market. I, for one, can say that Booker's and Basil Hayden's, both part of Jim Beam's Small Batch Collection, are two of my absolute favorite Bourbons. If you are not yet privy, please, go out and do yourself the favor of partaking of either one of these fine, fine selections.

Currently at the reigns, and keeper of the family flame, sits Fred Noe, great grandson of the brand's namesake. He was instrumental in the creation of the Small Batch Collection in the 1990s, largely helping with promotion and selecting the batches ready for bottling. Since the retirement of his father, Booker Noe, Fred has taken over the much-venerated title Ambassador of The Small Batch Bourbon Collection. He has also gone on to become master distiller and, most recently in late 2007, was honored with the placement of his photo on the Jim Beam label alongside the six family distillers who have preceded him. With his exceptional knowledge and inheritated legacy, Fred continues to expand and reshape the brand, as well as Bourbon as a whole, into a well respected spirit the world wide.

Mr. Noe was kind enough to answer some questions we had sent him, as well as a few other well-respected Bourbon distillers, in hopes of better understanding these great men who produce great Bourbon:

CONTINUE READING FOR THE INTERVIEW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads