• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crossfit

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I guess I'll have to be less subtle. When did Greg Glassman ever say the goal of Crossfit was to be faster than a powerlifter and stronger than a marathoner? I'm no kool aid drinker, but I hate to see someone misquoted.

It's one of those crossfit "koans" you see tossed back and forth by the practitioners. From the site: "I'm not the strongest or the fastest BUT I'm a lot stronger than the fastest and a lot faster than the strongest. Thanks Coach."

If it didn't come from Glassman, I apologise. He has enough trouble with the stupid **** he says:

"The strength and value of CrossFit lies entirely within our dominance of other athletes. This is a truth divined through competition, not debate."

Greg Glassman, CrossFit Co-Founder & CEO

Here's an excellent response:

"ANYONE can do Crossfit workouts. Anyone can do the workouts and eventually become good at the workouts.

Not anyone can become an Olympian. Most who do Crossfit workouts have never been anything remotely close to an Olympian athlete in any sport. And if I'm wrong, go take 100 of your best Crossfitters and let's get them ready for the 2012 games. It will never happen, and we all know that.

I don't mean to come off as a prick, but the fact that Crossfitters are better at workouts that they practice weekly doesn't mean anything, aside from the fact that Crossfitters do these workouts weekly. One would hope that those who do such workouts weekly would be better at these workouts.

Working out isn't a sport however. Some people can't figure this out.

Show some respect for our nation's Olympic athletes. Comparing random workouts in your basement, garage, or gym to a competitive Olympian is ridiculous.

Go beat on your chest in your basement, but also put on the TV this month and offer support and respect for those athletes who are doing something that we all cannot do."

The Truth

lefty

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lefty,
I agree that Greg Glassman says some stupid things. Again, I'm not a fanatic. I do find Crossfit to provide the best bang for the buck for me in terms of fitness. I could be in better shape, but it would take me longer than 15-20 minutes per day. At my age and with 3 kids, I can't spend 1.5 hours per day working out. I've spend years trying out various routines and programs. This one works pretty well for me. The CF site isn't much different than most fitness sites. A lot of kooks saying it's the only way. Ever been to the Dragon Door site? Those KB guys are pretty kooky too.
I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bath water.
I do love the response you posted.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grayland,

power to you. Since you seem to have some perspective and a limited opportunity to train, it is perfect for you.

Good luck with it.

lefty

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Seems like a good all around work out but I have yet to encounter a Crossfit partcipant I haven't wanted to punch in the face.
Well put. A good all around workout that from an outsiders perspective seems pretty good. The part I like about it is that things are timed, and by that you can push yourself and really really make things intense. Perhaps the one thing that would make me go with these workouts is the competition with other times. Also, how many K(l)ippen pull ups can you do?

95///M3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Well put. A good all around workout that from an outsiders perspective seems pretty good. The part I like about it is that things are timed, and by that you can push yourself and really really make things intense. Perhaps the one thing that would make me go with these workouts is the competition with other times.

Also, how many K(l)ippen pull ups can you do?

I think the main advantage to timed workouts is being able to track progress. The workouts show up every so often and you should be able to compare times to see how much more power you have gained.

As far as kipping pullups... Helen kicked ****** yesterday, middle of second round of pullups and I smashed my head on the bar behind me (my fault) which subsequently smashed my lip into the bar I was hanging on. Finished the workout and went to the ER. Hit by a car on my bike on my way to the plastic surgeon from the ER. 8 total stitches. I had a great day.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^

I would sue them as is another fellow that they pushed into rhabdomyolysis.

Think of all the Xft money that could be yours.

lefty

95///M3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
^

I would sue them as is another fellow that they pushed into rhabdomyolysis.

Think of all the Xft money that could be yours.

lefty

Sue them? I hope you are not serious. It was completely my fault. And as far as having them pushed the other guy into rhabdo; working out is you pushing yourself. Everything at crossfit can be scaled and perhaps this individual should have scaled his workout, or perhaps he should have simply turned it back a notch. I guess this will be up to attorneys to figure out though.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 95///M3
Sue them? I hope you are not serious. It was completely my fault. And as far as having them pushed the other guy into rhabdo; working out is you pushing yourself. Everything at crossfit can be scaled and perhaps this individual should have scaled his workout, or perhaps he should have simply turned it back a notch. I guess this will be up to attorneys to figure out though.

Supposedly this was a scaled workout...for kids; seriously! He was/is a Navy wrestler.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that there's a huge amount of personal responsibility here.

What I find somewhat sad is the manner in which the Xfit community attacks this guy and makes light of his injury. There was a woman last year who was put into the hospital with rhabo and the xfit community started talking about how hard core she was.

Whether or not this guy's lawsuit has merit remains to be seen, but I imagine it's only a matter of time before the poor training seriously ***** someone up and then "coach" can kiss his cash goodbye.

lefty

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Being that most of the Crossfit community seems to be cops, this doesn't really surprise me.

What I find somewhat sad is the manner in which the Xfit community attacks this guy and makes light of his injury. There was a woman last year who was put into the hospital with rhabo and the xfit community started talking about how hard core she was.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I agree that there's a huge amount of personal responsibility here.

Whether or not this guy's lawsuit has merit remains to be seen, but I imagine it's only a matter of time before the poor training seriously ***** someone up and then "coach" can kiss his cash goodbye.

lefty

I agree. The nasty responses from those who normally can't praise the military enough really bothered me. That's exactly why so many people have a negative view of Crossfit.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That and Crossfit is pretty marsupialed.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the first time I have to agree with why.

I was interested in it at first, but eh, I'll stick with p90x. This looks to be mainly dickhead cops and soldiers trying to act badass to make up for their lack of pen0r. No thanks.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Being that most of the Crossfit community seems to be cops, this doesn't really surprise me.

Originally Posted by javyn
For the first time I have to agree with why.

I was interested in it at first, but eh, I'll stick with p90x. This looks to be mainly dickhead cops and soldiers trying to act badass to make up for their lack of pen0r. No thanks.

Not a fan of CrossFit myself (and have written posts after posts on this), but your observation is wrong.

Also, p90x is not better than XF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics