• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

basic and affordable stereo system

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, it has been at least 15 years since I have had the money or time to be into audio.

I am looking to build a basic system and will try to purchase used items as much as possible.
Please excuse my dated knowledge.

I would like:
Either an NAD or Jolida integrated amplifier
A good CD player
Good speakers (maggies or KEF)
I would like to spend $700.00 or less.

Can any one recomend products to look at?

Am I missing components?

I listen to Jazz, Classical, and indie rock.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Skip the integrated, and get a receiver with Audyssey MultEQ XT. I think closeout Onkyo 705's should fit will in your budget.

Look on Craigslist or something for a cheap CD player. They all sound the same, so no need to spend more than $40 or $50.

With what's left, you should be able to get a pair of KEF iQ-series speakers and stands, or maybe even the base floorstanding model. I don't much care for Magnepan's looks or sound, and they also require much more room real-estate because of the way they need to be placed. KEF makes an excellent speaker.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
So, it has been at least 15 years since I have had the money or time to be into audio.

I am looking to build a basic system and will try to purchase used items as much as possible.
Please excuse my dated knowledge.

I would like:
Either an NAD or Jolida integrated amplifier
A good CD player
Good speakers (maggies or KEF)
I would like to spend $700.00 or less.

Can any one recomend products to look at?

Am I missing components?

I listen to Jazz, Classical, and indie rock.

$700 is a bit low but I would pick up the new Absolute Sound and look at the budget systems there to get started.

Entry Maggies might be $550 with discount and you can get a used NAD and a cheap CD player. If you can do a bit more on the CD player, then you can get an Oppo 980 for $160 and have terrific DVD and upsampled DVD video source as well.

I would also look at small bookshelf speakers like PSB, Monitor Audio, and Paradigm.

Another route is to buy AudioEngine 5 amplifed speakers for $349 and run those from a better CD player (perhaps one with Super Audio as there are lots of SACDs out, 5K in fact and 25 new Blue Note titles in the next two months) as a source. Or get a new iPod which plugs right into the speakers and gives you a free portability option.

If you really like classical and jazz I would say a Super Audio player should be strongly considered.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
One more thing - antirabbit is in Chicago so I can heartily recommend a trip to the MusicDirect shop. My favorite mail order company for hardware and software.

coachvu

Reaction score
Artisan Fan, what used NAD amp do you recommend? I've read about the 3020, but there aren't many available on ebay. As for new models, what about the Onkyo TX-SR606B?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
Artisan Fan, what used NAD amp do you recommend? I've read about the 3020, but there aren't many available on ebay. As for new models, what about the Onkyo TX-SR606B?

I like the BEE series as they sound very good. Not sure on the Onkyos but have heard good things about the more expensive ones.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok,
Well, lets design a system.
Tell me where to look and what to look for?
This kicks ass.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Ok,
Well, lets design a system.
Tell me where to look and what to look for?
This kicks ass.

To recap:

Take a long lunch and go to MusicDirect for starters. Pickup the recent issue of Absolute Sound. Look at the Maggies and the BEE series from NAD. Think seriously about the Super Audio CD format, likely via an Oppo 980 for $160. MusicDirect might have this on display...

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a good cable. And cheeeep.

060813-belden.jpg

>>>

On topic. Some good advice there from AF. Check out Audiogon, too. You may get a 'hit'. As for iPods. Lots of new, cheaper DACs coming out to help.

Good luck. Have fun. And, trust your ears.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
The 606 has the entry-level Audyssey room correction. 2EQ. While not a bad system, it is not as sophisticated or useful as MultEQ XT. It also takes fewer measurements, so you'll get a less accurate characterization of the room. So last year's 705 closeout is a better receiver than today's 606. Also, the mic that comes with 2EQ based systems is not as good, and that matters for accuracy of room correction. Both of my MultEQ XT mics (I also have a MultEQ XT processor in my car) measure astoundingly well. They are basically flat through the midrange and bass, and only a little off from my expensively calibrated measurement mic in the extreme treble. Oh, one more thing you might want to make room for in your budget is a good universal remote control. I really like the Logitech Harmony line.
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Pickup the recent issue of Absolute Sound.
A magazine written for clueless idiots, by clueless idiots. TAS and the like are to good audio what GQ, et al., are to good clothing. If Harry Pearson & Co say something, running in the opposite direction is usually a safe bet. At least Stereophile bothers to actually measure the gear they review. That said, a player that can do SACD isn't a bad idea. Two-channel SACD sounds exactly the same as two-channel CD. However, upgrading to 5.1 channels in the future can give you a better sonic experience from SACD. One needn't spend $160 on an SACD player. I picked up my Samsung DVD/SACD/DVDA player for about seventy bucks. Three years ago.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AntiRabbit, Chicago has Saturday Audio Exchange on Belmont just west of Sheffield. They are NAD dealers and have lots of second hand high end audio. If you want some help just send me a PM.

http://saturdayaudio.com/

PS - Belden makes great cable - Gepco makes even better.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
The 606 has the entry-level Audyssey room correction. 2EQ. While not a bad system, it is not as sophisticated or useful as MultEQ XT. It also takes fewer measurements, so you'll get a less accurate characterization of the room. So last year's 705 closeout is a better receiver than today's 606.

Also, the mic that comes with 2EQ based systems is not as good, and that matters for accuracy of room correction. Both of my MultEQ XT mics (I also have a MultEQ XT processor in my car) measure astoundingly well. They are basically flat through the midrange and bass, and only a little off from my expensively calibrated measurement mic in the extreme treble.

Oh, one more thing you might want to make room for in your budget is a good universal remote control. I really like the Logitech Harmony line.

A magazine written for clueless idiots, by clueless idiots. TAS and the like are to good audio what GQ, et al., are to good clothing. If Harry Pearson & Co say something, running in the opposite direction is usually a safe bet. At least Stereophile bothers to actually measure the gear they review.

That said, a player that can do SACD isn't a bad idea. Two-channel SACD sounds exactly the same as two-channel CD. However, upgrading to 5.1 channels in the future can give you a better sonic experience from SACD. One needn't spend $160 on an SACD player. I picked up my Samsung DVD/SACD/DVDA player for about seventy bucks. Three years ago.

Did you just oppose Fran about something audio-related?
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not do just an integrated amplifier?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics