• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hermes Ties

buhdda

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently decided to really put some work into my work wardrobe. In regards to ties Hermes ties really appeal to me, they are the right amount of weight and the silly graphics of animals are unique.

My question to tell if a tie is real or fake on ebay? When holding a tie I think I can figure out it's authenticity but from say a picture like this can you tell:

t191.jpg

Also what are some of the best ways to get a good deal? I don't see that at discount retailer, NR, off 5th ever, and again ebay seems like a dicey proposistion to me.

Thanks in advance for any info...

Syl

Reaction score
Would also like to know this. I saw a thrift consignment store with a few on sale in Toronto however I'm always wary of people trying to pass off fakes for a profit.

mljones99

Reaction score
Looks legit to me.

Best way to get a good deal on Hermes? Make friends with someone who works there and will buy you some ties during one of the employee sales.

jsherman02

Reaction score
I think they (Hermes) is way overpriced and too gimicky for me.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only buy from sellers with 99% + positive feedback. Also, avoid sellers of major brands (e.g., Hermes) if they are located in Asia.

sm332

Reaction score
Could I ask which store this was?

Originally Posted by Syl
Would also like to know this. I saw a thrift consignment store with a few on sale in Toronto however I'm always wary of people trying to pass off fakes for a profit.

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
By the same token, if anyone has had good experiences buying authentic Hermes ties from Ebay sellers, please share the names of those sellers.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
Only buy from sellers with 99% + positive feedback. Also, avoid sellers of major brands (e.g., Hermes) if they are located in Asia.

Decent advice. The only surefire way to avoid fakes however, is to bite the bullet and buy at Hermes.

I almost exclusively buy my ties at Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks Off Fifth. Excellent selection, Isaia, Kiton, T&A, Brioni, and Borrelli, and almost never over $100.

Kregg

Reaction score
As for ebay, buy from Andyinternational. He's an excellent ebay seller who specializes in Hermes ties. I'd recommend him for all your Hermes needs.

shyzashi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Decent advice. The only surefire way to avoid fakes however, is to bite the bullet and buy at Hermes.

I almost exclusively buy my ties at Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks Off Fifth. Excellent selection, Isaia, Kiton, T&A, Brioni, and Borrelli, and almost never over $100.

Hi gnatty8,

Which NM Last Call has Hermes ties? I have been to the ones in San Diego and Las Vegas, and they never have them. =(

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shyzashi
Hi gnatty8, Which NM Last Call has Hermes ties? I have been to the ones in San Diego and Las Vegas, and they never have them. =(
I don't think you will find Hermes ties at a NM last call. Hermes tries to never put their products "on sale." I think Gnatty8 may have been trying to direct the OP to other equally high quality neckties--ones that are readily available at NM last call. Also look for Charvet, another great brand.

pause63

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
..Hermes tries to never put their products "on sale."

what about their annual (bi.annual?) sale in nyc? they have tons of ties. granted you might have to wait in line for about 45 min.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
I don't think you will find Hermes ties at a NM last call. Hermes tries to never put their products "on sale."

I think Gnatty8 may have been trying to direct the OP to other equally high quality neckties--ones that are readily available at NM last call. Also look for Charvet, another great brand.

I saw a few Hermes at Saks off Fifth in Minneapolis not long ago.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with, and confirm the observations that:

1) Hermes ties almost never appear on sale, except at the New York store, and on rare occasion in the Beverly Hills store (which is not advertised; you have to have a relationship with the sales stafff), and

2) Andyinternational is a good ebay source. He and I have exchanged many purchases and sales (I've bought from him, he's bought from me) over the past four to five years. But, by no means is he the only source. In my experience, the number of legitimate sellers on ebay far outnumber the riskier types who may be attempting to pawn off fakes. I have sold more than 100 Hermes ties on ebay. There may have been persons who questioned my bona fides, or avoided my auctions, because I'm not a regular seller, but that was their loss. All my ties have sold.

And, they've all been real.

Life is too short to be lived in fear. If you like a tie on ebay, and take reasonable steps where concerned to verify the seller's bona fides, you should buy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads