• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic Pushing Three-Piece Suits

Syl

Reaction score
Wow. $900 for a 3-piece BR suit? For the same price you can get a decent MTM 2-piece, and I'm rather certain it will fit better. Heck, for a few dollars more, you can get a 3-piece MTM.
I'm a bit puzzled at their price point selection.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like BR suits - I have a couple. They are fused, but the fusing seems to hold up fine - I've had one for about 4 years now, still good as new. In fact, I am wearing the suit today. The fabric is a direct pattern clone of a Chester Barrie suit I have which is now too big for me - it's not as nice but the pattern is identical.

Their suits have a slimmer cut, and I like the cut of their flat-front pants. I wouldn't argue that they are the most fabulous suits in the world or anything, but they are a bargain if you get them on sale.

This brings me to my second point. Why anyone would buy a suit at BR for full price is beyond me. EVERYTHING in the store goes on sale like clockwork about 2 months after it is introduced. The real price point for this 3 piece suit (if you are willing to wait) is probably $500.00.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR suits are the classic example of bad fusing. The difference between what Corneliani does for Ralph and the Chinese do for BR is extraordinary. There are a few Polo three pieces in the fall collection that will drop to about $600 in a few months. These are far superior to BR at any price.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't notice the price until it was mentioned here. $700?! Really? I take my proverbial hat off to BR for "styling up" the regular joe, but at that price it is far smarter for one to just wait the usual sale from better brands.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
BR suits are the classic example of bad fusing. The difference between what Corneliani does for Ralph and the Chinese do for BR is extraordinary. There are a few Polo three pieces in the fall collection that will drop to about $600 in a few months. These are far superior to BR at any price.

While I agree there's a big difference, I wouldn't hold BR up as the poster boy for bad fusing. It's not great, but it's not stiff and hard, like some of the really low-rent stuff.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like three-piece suits, but I'm kind of ambivalent about the three-piece's return to the mainstream.

I guess I'm glad, since it will allow me to wear mine with more impunity. I don't really understand the dislike of three-pieces unless it's a personal comfort issue regarding the extra layer of fabric.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
I like BR suits - I have a couple. They are fused, but the fusing seems to hold up fine - I've had one for about 4 years now, still good as new. In fact, I am wearing the suit today. The fabric is a direct pattern clone of a Chester Barrie suit I have which is now too big for me - it's not as nice but the pattern is identical.

To me it's not so much the bubbling which can occur from fusing as nowadays that seldom happens - it's the stiffness that fusing causes in the jacket. A full canvass garment is often more comfortable and moves with the wearer and drapes nicely.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie
note the photo at HSM's website. Its another nice three-piece, unfortunately, its not available on the website.

http://www.hartschaffnermarx.com/mensstore/

Now that's a good looking 3 piece suit!

You can also throw us in for joining the 3-piece suit offering later this Fall...

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My last several MTM suits have been ordered with as 3-piece. Sometimes I even wear the vest with them.
smile.gif

It's good to have the option.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd venture a certain Mr. Tom Ford has also had something to do with the resurgence.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kind of wonder if the naysayers here have ever worn a BR suit?

Again, I'm not trying to argue it is anything other than a low-end suit, but the complaints about horrible stiffness in the fused chest, poor construction, etc., are just inaccurate. For the money (when on sale at least) it is a good value.

I am kind of torn between the "disposable suit" idea and the "super-high-end suit" idea, so I have kind of done both. I have two RLPL suits I wear all the time that are around 10 years old (from back when Chester Barrie made them). They are awesome suits, but when they finally wear out I may need bereavement counseling.

I also have a couple of Banana Republic suits I wear frequently. For trips to Central America, S. America, the "Dirty Stans," and other third world locales I prefer the cheaper suits. They look good, and if I destroy them, so what?

Each has its place. The BR suit is a good compromise for someone looking for a more modern pattern who can't afford the really good stuff.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I own one BR suit and have sold many. They're perfectly OK, at a low enough pricepoint. I don't think they're any worse than H&M, which gets a good bit of love here. At least the BR ones tend to be all wool. Admittedly, the BR suits are way overpriced, but once the price drops sufficiently, BR can be a decent option for younger guys/knockaround wear.

I will say that lately, the BR stuff has fit me extremely awkwardly. I'll try on something on the sale rack, only to find that no size fits well enough to even consider. But that's true of the offerings at J. Crew and other such shops as well.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I owned two BR suits several years ago before I needed to wear suits regularly. They were cheap but fit me perfectly, especially since they were sold as separates. At the time, they were just what I needed for the occasional dress up event.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads