• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Workout question - How not to get big?

kontra

Reaction score
Before I begin I'll just say that I did browse this forum - and I did not find answers for my questions.
So - the question is:
Im pretty short - about 5' 7" weight is 145lbs. Im working out about 4 times a week for the longest time now. At least 4 years. - Im sort of athletic looking as it is. I got wide shoulders and chest I got some muscle and it is growing - slowly but it does. The thing is I dont want to become buff over time. I feel like Im getting there. I want to stay the way I am and shape it up. Sculpt it. Loose body fat. I run 5k every workout - and then do strength training. I try to focus on more repetitions instead of increasing the weights. Also (and its probably stupid of me) I never-ever eat any supplements. I'm afraid that If Ill start eating protein Im going to get faster and bigger muscle growth. And I dont need that. Is it wrong?
Do I still need to have a certain protein intake before the workout even though I want to loose weight? What would be your suggestions for the workout.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lift less frequently but with the same intensity as you are now. Don't use it as an excuse to fall off teh wagon and lose your current shape.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After 4 years on your current routine, I'm sure you can safely conclude that building muscle is not that easy. When lifting weights, go light and high repetitions (15-20 reps) per set.

As far as protein is concerned, keep your intake at approximately 1 gram of protein for every kilogram of body weight (i.e. 145 pounds = ~66 grams of protein).

Good luck!

unexpected

Reaction score
if you want to "sculpt it" then you have to lose body fat. You can't change the shape of muscles. They either get bigger or smaller. Go on a cut, which you can google for like a million plans for, and lose the body fat, and you'll appear sculpted.

Not to pick on you, but I hate when people (mainly girls) say that "they don't want to get too big". You're not going to wake up one day and be like, "omg, I'm huge!" lift weights to grow till you are happy with where you are at, then stop.

ccardill

Reaction score
you've been working out for 4 years, weigh 145 lbs, and are worried about getting too big. lol.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Control it through diet. Don't eat too many calories and you won't get big. Purposely omitting protein in favor of carbohydrates or fat is a way to get skinny fat. Eat lots of protein but not too many calories overall.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why, what's the ballpark range of your dailly protein intake, per lbs of bodyweight? Thanks,

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
After 4 years on your current routine, I'm sure you can safely conclude that building muscle is not that easy. When lifting weights, go light and high repetitions (15-20 reps) per set.

Good luck!

This confirms my understanding of how to sculpt for increased definition while avoiding growth in size.

I've been doing a variation on the "Fight Club" workout for the past few months. The key is using lower weights and doing more sets and reps. For example, on chest day, I'll do about four different chest targeting exercises, each with 5 sets of 12 repititions. I have seen an overall increase in tone but not size.

You can learn more about this training regimen here: Fight Club workout

Francis91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
This confirms my understanding of how to sculpt for increased definition while avoiding growth in size.

I've been doing a variation on the "Fight Club" workout for the past few months. The key is using lower weights and doing more sets and reps. For example, on chest day, I'll do about four different chest targeting exercises, each with 5 sets of 12 repititions. I have seen an overall increase in tone but not size.

You can learn more about this training regimen here: Fight Club workout

Have you been doing any leg workouts while on this?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180

Let me guess... BB bench, incline bench, decline bench and DB flys.

If you want to look like Pitt in FC, wouldn't it be easier to start smoking, drink coffee and starve yourself down to 135 lbs.?

lefty

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francis91
Have you been doing any leg workouts while on this?

I have, with good results in terms of what I'm looking for. I also run quite a bit too though.

Originally Posted by lefty
Let me guess... BB bench, incline bench, decline bench and DB flys.

If you want to look like Pitt in FC, wouldn't it be easier to start smoking, drink coffee and starve yourself down to 135 lbs.?

lefty

Why not do BOTH?
wink.gif

unexpected

Reaction score
lithium, please tell me how sculpting works. tell me how I can sculpt my muscles into different shapes. Maybe I can shape them into little triangles.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
why, what's the ballpark range of your dailly protein intake, per lbs of bodyweight? Thanks,
Aim for 1g per pound for a fairly lean individual who works out regularly. Females need a little less. Size should always be controlled through diet and not through training in my opinion. Varying training will produce different results, so if you want to avoid getting big, just don't eat enough to let yourself get big. That way you can still play with exercise (ie. if you want to run faster or get stronger, you can still do it without messing up your training).

lifersfc

Reaction score
I am really lean and compact, but I lift 5RM bench, squats, deadlifts, and rows all the time. Size is mainly about diet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads