• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to Find Suits for Short Guys?

CrackaLackaZe

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a pretty short guy (5-5) with a slim to average build, and I've had a horrible time trying to find a suit that fits. I've scoured downtown for a suit that fits well but even the various designer 36s sizes that I've tried on seem too long for me.

Surprisingly, however, I found a 38s at Club Monaco that fits me very well and has a pretty nice cut. But the CM style is more of a casual suit and I'm looking for something a little more versatile. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any place that may have similiar size/cut suit jackets so that I could extend my options a bit further.

I know what people say about OTR fused suits but MTM's are really a last resort for the time being.

Thanks!

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrackaLackaZe
Hi Guys,

I'm a pretty short guy (5-5) with a slim to average build, and I've had a horrible time trying to find a suit that fits. I've scoured downtown for a suit that fits well but even the various designer 36s sizes that I've tried on seem too long for me.

Surprisingly, however, I found a 38s at Club Monaco that fits me very well and has a pretty nice cut. But the CM style is more of a casual suit and I'm looking for something a little more versatile. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any place that may have similiar size/cut suit jackets so that I could extend my options a bit further.

I know what people say about OTR fused suits but MTM's are really a last resort for the time being.

Thanks!

I'm not particularly large (5'6/7) and slim but athletic, and I have the same problem.

Usually, however, I find most 38s from RLPL, HSM or Joseph Abboud to fit me rather well.

You may also want to look at Jos A. Bank -- but it's a hit or a miss for your fit.

I would not recommend Brook's Brothers because they seem to make clothes for fat people. Even their so-called slim fit shirts and their 38s suits seem too big for me.

jta1188

Reaction score
Not sure what your price range is, but I'd check the European (read: Italian) labels which tend to have a shorter, less boxy cut in my opinion. Z Zegna, Ralph Lauren Black Label, etc. have very slim, short cuts--or at least the ones I've tried on.

Also, get your exact measurements, and use those to browse around for a suit that fits you well.

greyinla

Reaction score
JTAs advice is good. In addition to Z-Zegna and RLBL, Boss Red Label is also cut slimmer and shorter. You might also try BB. Their short sizes are true short sizes, and they have slimmer cuts (Fitzgerald and Regent) available. You can definitely do better than Club Monaco.

As a last resort, a good tailor can shorten a suit, though you don't want to go over an inch.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I'm 5'7" not slim but not athletic

What is your budget & what applications?

I wear a lot of GA & now moving back to Neopolitan tailoring such as my older Caruso & Corneliani suits.

Recently I have been buying from an Australian brand that are now getting their suits made in Japan but with a Neopolitan style.

Stick with Italian makes such as Caruso (who also make for RL Black Label) or Corneliani (who make RL Blue Label). Stay away from Z Zegna as they are made for slim yet taller builds.

Have a look at my WAYW post to get an idea.

Good luck.

plhoang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
You may also want to look at Jos A. Bank -- but it's a hit or a miss for your fit.

I would not recommend Brook's Brothers because they seem to make clothes for fat people. Even their so-called slim fit shirts and their 38s suits seem too big for me.

My experience runs completely the opposite.

Jos A Bank seems to start at 38S, which precludes any of their items from fitting me, and so I doubt you'll have much luck there. Plus I find their wares unimpressive from a quality standpoint.

BB has 36S suits, plus they have slimmer fitting styles. Also, they have a boy's section if the 36S just won't cut it for your height.

CrackaLackaZe

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably stop by the local BB later today to check out what they have. I don't have a set budget, but how much I spend will depend on the quality of the suit, and I would be hesitant to go above $600 for an OTR suit (Considering that I will be making a trip to China in a month and could get a MTM from Chan's for $1000-$1500, although it would inconvenience my schedule somewhat.).

Hopefully I can find something under that, worst case scenario I'll have to come back when they start having their sales.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the RLBL the slimmest suit available at the moment? (not counting the skinny Dior suits and the like as I cannot get my arms through the arm holes so I never tried them) What is the safest number of inches that can be taken off the suit (I'm thinking since it is considered slim it would be a lower number than regular suits)? I tried one on today at the London store trying on a 38 short and it was too long in length by a few inches (I was expecting this, just wanted to try my luck given the encouraging comments here concerning the suit) but I wasn't expecting the salesman to recommend that if I were to purchase the suit I should take in the waist 'several' inches on 'each' side. From what I understand, wouldn't it mess up the balance of the suit or something? I'm not a slim or skinny fellow by any stretch of the imagination (29 waist - which is average on this forum
tounge.gif
) but the suit was less slim than me. I imagine this is a problem for those with a similar build, so what do you guys do? I found the retail price crazy at almost $2000

JTA

Reaction score
I have the same issue as you, being 5"6', it is difficult to get 36S added with I have a 7" drop.

Last time when I need one RTW suit, Marco Valentino is offering a good value of money since I only need to take in a bit.

Probably you can take into account Jil Sander or RLBL. I heard many excellent reviews on both.

greyinla

Reaction score

This is true of their shirts and Madison fit suits, but they have two suit lines which are cut slim. More importantly, their short sizes seem to be true shorts. They might be worth checking out. Also, as suggested, more fashion-oriented brands--Z, RLBL, Theory, etc. Fortunately, the trend right now is toward shorter suits in general (thank you TB), so you might start to get more options soon.

Another option, if you have a really good tailor is to have a jacket shortened. I wouldn't go more than an inch, and I would consult first, since it's easy to throw a suit off balance, but it can be done successfully.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Onne of the problem withshorts and exta shorts in RTW is that the jakcet length is shortened, by say 1 1/2", the waist is raised half that amount, the sleeve is shortened about 1", and you would expect that the armhole should be raised as well, to maintain proportions. Unfortunately, nobody that I know of raises the armhole; it is just too complicated an alteration. (I would be very pleased to learn who, if anyone, is doing this). Cambridge Members in New York has developed a silhouette specifically for short people and I think it starts at size 34; I'm not sure if any other retailers have done the same- I'll ask around and if I hear of anything I'll give a shout.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, I'm in the same boat, to the T. 5.5'' and short torso, can't find much...
besides the previous recomendations, and considering that I maybe have less of a budget tolerance but still want to look good...
so far all I've found is H&M, believe it or not a 34 regular, a bit tight in the pants but it looks sleek and modern and at $300 you can buy a bunch of colors and styles. Other then that, I'd probably go with MTM...

wind88

Reaction score
My dad is around 5'7. He has a Caruso suit in 36s and the length is perfect for him. So try on some Caruso suits to see if they work for you.

pajames

Reaction score
I wear 38S and find the Canalis fit ne very well. Also the Samuelson MTM works well for the price.

beau nash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pajames
I wear 38S and find the Canalis fit ne very well. Also the Samuelson MTM works well for the price.

Has anyone tried the Samuelson "medium short" or "kinda short" or whatever that in-between size is? I'm 5'8" and now buy a short jacket. A regular length makes my legs look short but I wondered if the in-between size would work. I assume such an in-between size would only be available as MTM.

If anyone happens to have a 41 med-short, could you post the length of the jacket from collar to hem?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads