• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crossfit

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
oh, boy, does that sound familiar.

by the way, what is CF WOD (or let me guess - cross fit workout of the day?)

Yes.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CF is awesome. i just did my first 8 weeks of it and am in much better shape than when i first started. now i just need to tighten up my nutrition and i will be cut!

It is a great workout i think the number of times I have almost vomited is approaching 5-6 times out of the 30 or so times I have gone. And you are in serious pain during the workout but feel like a million bucks after.

20 mins a day is all you need.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Crossfit" is a pseudo cult that does short duration, high intensity, randomized, circuit training.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
"Crossfit" is a pseudo cult that does short duration, high intensity, randomized, circuit training.

My friend sent me a link from a NYT article about it. It sounds interesting, but mostly this convinces me a lot of people are just lazy when they go to the gym. If you push yourself hard and have some concept of what you are doing is this really necessary?

adversity04

Reaction score
I've done crossfit on and off for the past year depending on what other activities that I'm doing at the time. I find that the workouts are helpful for all around conditioning the is necessary for a broad based group of fitness goals, but people who have a more specific goal in mind are better to look to another program. I did crossfit style bodyweight workouts 3x/week with plyometrics 2x/week and managed to stay in fairly good shape. Had I the weights and the time to sleep more I could have pushed myself to actually improve something other than just my vertical.

I suggest everyone give crossfit a try. If nothing else, at the end of it you'll know it's a program that you don't want to do.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It truly depends on what your goals are. A while back, a lot of "crossfitters" were ecstatic over someone getting rhabdomyolysis from crossfit as evidence that they were really hardcore. I'd just call it plain stupidity, and a problem with the cult like devotion they have to the crossfit way.

So, crossfitters do work hard, don't underestimate that. They do some very high intensity workouts.

The things I like about crossfit are the randomization, and the incorporation of gymnastics and olympic lifts. Randomization, just like altering your workout every few weeks, prevents your body from ever really adapting. You get a lot of gains that way. I like olympic lifts a lot myself. Gymnastics is interesting to me because I also climb.

That said, while I've tried crossfit, I felt it to be severely lacking for someone that needs huge amounts of endurance training. I hear they have attempted to address that issue, but I haven't bothered to find out.

Like any "plan" or "workout", you need to understand the underlying theories, and take from it what you need to accomplish your goals, adapted to fit your needs, and leave behind the rest. If you just dogmatically follow someone else's workouts, you may not reach your goals, and you may not understand why.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CF is all about GPP. It provides a base of all around fitness. The original idea was that you used GPP to stay in general "shape" and then you added in your other goals (extra lifting, endurance, soccer practice, etc.) The problem is that too many CF members take the WOD as all that is needed. It is a helluva workout. I'll often come into the gym and leave 20 minutes later sweating like a pig and breathing very heavily, while the guy on the cell phone is doing his 3rd set of bench presses. The vomiting and rhabado issues are exagerated; I've been doing CF since 2003 and I've never thrown up. It's good stuff but their are many ways to get fit. Just to stir things up, I've included some CF insights from the FAQ.
tounge.gif

Here's some insight from Coach on the intent of CrossFit:

"CrossFit is in large part derived from several simple observations garnered through hanging out with athletes for thirty years and willingness, if not eagerness, to experiment coupled with a total disregard for conventional wisdom. Let me share some of the more formative of these observations:
1. Gymnasts learn new sports faster than other athletes.
2. Olympic lifters can apply more useful power to more activities than other athletes.
3. Powerlifters are stronger than other athletes.
4. Sprinters can match the cardiovascular performance of endurance athletes � even at extended efforts.
5. Endurance athletes are woefully lacking in total physical capacity.
6. With high carb diets you either get fat or weak.
7. Bodybuilders can't punch, jump, run, or throw like athletes can.
8. Segmenting training efforts delivers a segmented capacity.
9. Optimizing physical capacity requires training at unsustainable intensities.
10. The world's most successful athletes and coaches rely on exercise science the way deer hunters rely on the accordion."

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those the Coach's Ten Commandments?

devil.gif

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have issues with #10 in a big way.

#4 and #5 probably depend on how "endurance" athlete is being defined and also the definition of "extended" effort.

If, as in my world, endurance athletes are those that participate in activities lasting in durations measured by days rather than minutes or hours, then I highly doubt a sprinter is capable of keeping up. In addition, for endurance activities requiring body weight plus additional weight, total physical capacity can be incredibly high.

It isn't even worth my time to go into the stupidity behind #10.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crossfit ... faster than powerlifters; stronger than marathoners.

lefty

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Crossfit ... faster than powerlifters; stronger than marathoners.

lefty

Hey, I'm a Crossfitter, but I would hope almost everyone is faster than a powerlifter and stronger than a marathoner.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
Hey, I'm a Crossfitter, but I would hope almost everyone is faster than a powerlifter and stronger than a marathoner.

I believe that was the point he was making.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland

Coach? Is that you?

lefty

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
I believe that was the point he was making.

I guess I'll have to be less subtle. When did Greg Glassman ever say the goal of Crossfit was to be faster than a powerlifter and stronger than a marathoner? I'm no kool aid drinker, but I hate to see someone misquoted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads