• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's list things we hate, Clothingwise

Tcameron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by piercehan
i HATE certain elements of the ghetto (black) fashion ... not to be racist against blacks - asians, hispanics, wannabe white kids, and tons of other "hip-hop" influenced kids do it too - but it just looks terrible

1-jeans that are 10 sizes too big in length and in waist (when they walk or run they have to hold their jeans up from falling because their belt does nothing

2-t shirts or "white-t's" that are also 10 sizes too big and hang over their knees and elbows and make it look like they are wearing dresses

3-ridiculous amounts of bling bling that is way too big, heavy, and most of the times is fake

I refer to this as "urban culture", and qualify it by adding - "The culture that objectifies women, over idolizes mmaterial possessions, and worships fast, quick, and often dirty money."

Smells Like Poor

Reaction score
That's awesome. I don't think I've ever seen anyone over age 11 or 12 wearing those shoes (except for when they first came out and people thought they'd be the next skateboard). I always have the urge to punch the kids I see wheeling themselves around inside malls and stores but I resist because they're just kids. But if I saw University student doing that I don't know if I could hold back.

You're definitely not alone on that. I'm sure most of the students here want to level him. He tries to weave in and out of congested sidewalks and acts as if we should get out of his way. What makes it even worse is that you can hear him coming from a mile away due to the cobblestone.

How do they do that and still maintain anything resembling self-respect or dignity?

This is beyond me.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
1. Tee shirt, shorts, sandals with a "wool ****'n beanie"!!!!
2. Loafers & pleated khaki's with no socks.
3. Square toed shoes with "anything".
4. Basketball jerseys worn as part of a "I'm a scary Gangsta Mo Fo" ensemble.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
-designer work wear
-colored dress shirts with white collars
-jewelry
-scarves,gloves,or really any other winter clothing accesories
-designers (aside from maybe marc jacobs) who use celebrities to promote their product (ala GAP)
-'stealth wealth', It could be that I grew up middle class... but the notion of buying something expensive you want to look cheap is beyond me. I always try for the opposite.
-college aged guys dressed like middle school aged girls, aka scene kids
-sweat pants
- 3 piece suits, vests remind me of almost any mom rock singer.
-hollister tops, they use great patterns that look vintage so I always get super jazzed about something of theirs i see at a thrift store the realize its total crap and will fall apart after 2 washes.
- bowties on anyone under 60
-hippie ******* chaco sandals
-suburban white kids with an internet connection who think its cool to rock a euro-trash look to work in electronics at Target
-Steve Madden shoes
- intentional white trash looks on anyone not in a band (i.e. 80's plastic rimmed glasses, cut off jean shorts, wife-beater tshirts,... pretty much like the guys in the black lips)
-anything even slightly 'urban'
-sneakers with a suit
- t-shirts made to look as though they were bought in the bargain bin of a thrift store for 80$
-Flames, Dragons, or any other red neck print button up shirts
-non-cowboys wearing rodeo buckles
-cowboy boots with a non-western suit
-high waisted jeans on chicks
-those marsupialed UFC mohawks that require no commitment
-all over print hoodies
- the price of a well constructed suit that fits me
-the price of a well made pair of shoes
-cell phone holders clipped to a belt etc
-white guys in doo-rags ever
-white guys with corn-rows
-white guys with dreads
-humor tees
-meaningless tattoos a person didn't get while in the military and super drunk
-ties with cartoons or any other non-traditional prints on them
- suburban soccer moms trying to look like their teenage daughters

I am sure if I sat here a little while longer I could think of a few more

oops, some of mine were more appearance related than clothing related... sorry.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
- suburban soccer moms trying to look like their teenage daughters

Your loss, man.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think hats look ridiculous on most people. Just a bugaboo of mine, Ratpack notwithstanding.

bsblguy31

Reaction score
-When I see 30-40 year old moms trolling around in Abercrombie or Hollister clothes to try to seem hip.
-New Balance or similar sneakers when not at the gym.
-Ed Hardy/Affliction shirts
-The worst I've seen might be a combo of the last two. Was a concert a few weeks ago when some meathead tried to pull of an Ed Hardy t-shirt with jeans and some New Balances. I wanted nothing more than to call him out and laugh in his face, but being half his size, I feared getting ****** kicked and used better judgment.

iamaloser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tcameron
I refer to this as "urban culture", and qualify it by adding - "The culture that objectifies women, over idolizes mmaterial possessions, and worships fast, quick, and often dirty money."

Do you classify people as "urban" by an extensive process of observation, or does every black person in baggy jeans fall into this category?

Musselma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyheyhey
Boat shoes. (Even with a boat these look too high class)
Blue shirt with cream trousers. (Emulating David Attenborough)
Skinny jeans. (You look like a girl)
Dog Tags. (You ain't punk, or in the military)
Flip flops when anywhere other than a beach or your own back garden. (Shoes to the beach, then shoes back from it)
Socks and sandals. (The devils shoe choice)
Baseball caps (Are there any good ones?)
Bandanas on the head, (As a fashion statement, not when its needed)

And of course, the root of all evil,
Singing Christmas ties.

I disagree quite strongly with both of these, especially since some people on the forum ARE in the military.

YoungM

Reaction score
-Faux dressing up- dockers, square toes, and a polo.

-People who like to claim others "Dress like everyone else." On this forum, only about two people can really say that without being hypocritical- and conveniently, they are the two most criticized. Socal and KitonBrioni. And they can't even really say that among their social sets.

-Ed Hardy. Most of the traditional douchebag brands can for me be worn in a way that doesn't make me dislike the person wearing it. Ed Hardy and the designers other brand- I see that, and am predisposed against the person.

- Those crazy ass sneakers with ten billion colors and obnoxious shinyness.

Thats about it.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
13. Wife beaters worn in public with nothing over them
14. Huge chunky sports watches worn with formal wear or business. I own a panerai and larger breitling but wear neither with a suit. To add to this I dislike when people have their gigantic watches and keep their sleeves pushed right behind the watch to show it off.

I saw a guy at a club wearing a blazer over a wifebeater, with his arms folded so as to accidentally-on-purpose show off his watch.

I'm not going to say he looked bad however... not by Greensboro standards.

17. Guys who are afraid of color
They might catch gay!

Seriously, I find something unspeakable irritating about drab and undynamic all-neutral outfits that would have been so much better if the person had just used a little color- any color- to accent.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
-high waisted jeans on chicks

sbtb22zi8795.jpg

...you were saying?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads