• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's list things we hate, Clothingwise

Smells Like Poor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joshua Arson
Are these still around? They were the bee's knees when I was in middle/high school.

JNCOs, I mean. I know "husky" jeans still exist.

Sadly, they are. A handful of students here at Marshall still wear them... One of them goes so far as to wear those Heelys with them and wheels himself to and from class.

CarbonatedTsoda

Reaction score
Oversized, ill-fitting blazers/suit jackets, and the salesmen who advocate this. My buddy went into a Men's Wearhouse (which was probably his first mistake) to get a jacket and naturally the people in there tell him a jacket looks great when in reality its a size too large.

Also, the normal stuff everyone hates, ed hardy tees, true religion back pockets, etc. For some reason sandals with jeans bugs me too.

Originally Posted by ekaJ
-when someone wears a button-down shirt 3 sizes too big, when it couldnt possibly be any baggier. What I hate even more is when a girl's reaction to it is 'ooh youre so dressed up.'

+1. This is pretty annoying.

Mpalmer22

Reaction score
Those ridiculous frumpy indy-girl dresses and the 60's Bob Dylan faux Ray-Bans that were cool when Bob and only a few cool people wore them, but not when a bunch of whiny emo kids who sit around and cry b/c their mothers bought them the wrong BMW.

Oh and American Apparel, I'm unique by wearing the same thing all of my other indy kid friends are wearing.

P.S. American Apparel is owned and run by a Canadian...

attire.jpg

James Gatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mpalmer22
P.S. American Apparel is owned and run by a Canadian...

Umm...last time I checked, Canada was considered a part of America. It's not called United States Apparel.

daveboxster

Reaction score
- Wearing sunglasses on an airplane

- Socks with sandals

- Colored socks with shorts... short/sports socks excluded, but I just don't prefer these

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike the following: Chucks AA Belts that are too big Excessive branding T-shirts that have "funny" sayings printed on them.
Originally Posted by James Gatz
Umm...last time I checked, Canada was considered a part of America. It's not called United States Apparel.
When was the last time you heard a Canadian refer to themselves as American?

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
When was the last time you heard a Canadian refer to themselves as American?

It's not about what you guys want. Duh!

TxdoHawk

Reaction score
- Crocs.

- Guys who feel the need to tuck in their shirt all the time, no matter what the occasion/shirt type.

- I <3 NY shirts.

- 80% of sneakers out there now, the clown shoe ****. Pink with purple poka dots and lime green stripes? There is plenty to do with a sneaker without making it look like it came from the weekend casual shoe rack of Ronald McDonald. I blame the limited-edition-obsessed sneakerheads for encouraging companies by buying this stuff.

- Excessive brogueing on dress shoes.

That's about it.

KBW

Reaction score
I don't hate many things but a few things bother me...

1. wearing crocs when you aren't on a boat or nursing (crocs are great on a boat and nurses claim they are comfortable for their long shifts so for that they are ok)
2. looking like you try too hard. Some can try very hard but still have a good look...others try hard and it shows.
3. gator, lizard, or ostrich fakes that look laminated and cheap
4. ties that are "busy"
5. People buying brands for the brand and not for the quality
6. Guys who dress all up like a fisherman etc. for everyday wear when they've never been on the water
7. Chucks...I know they have a huge following but I think they look terrible
8. Oakleys worn by guys who don't play a sport
9. Huge clothing stickers on your car (I guess this relates to this post)
10. Getting all dressed up to go to baseball game or other event that definitely does not need business dress (talking shirt/tie/jacket that is put on just for the game not talking about guys who rush from work to catch their son/daughter's game)
11. Stupid looking hats
12. those panty hose looking things that some white kids and a lot of younger black kids wear on their heads
13. Wife beaters worn in public with nothing over them
14. Huge chunky sports watches worn with formal wear or business. I own a panerai and larger breitling but wear neither with a suit. To add to this I dislike when people have their gigantic watches and keep their sleeves pushed right behind the watch to show it off.
15. I dislike that the firm I work for is extremely conservative as far as business dress
16. People who pay 30K+ for a pilots watch that will never see a cockpit (same goes for Divers)
17. Guys who are afraid of color

Curious_George

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smells Like Poor
Sadly, they are. A handful of students here at Marshall still wear them... One of them goes so far as to wear those Heelys with them and wheels himself to and from class.
That's awesome. I don't think I've ever seen anyone over age 11 or 12 wearing those shoes (except for when they first came out and people thought they'd be the next skateboard). I always have the urge to punch the kids I see wheeling themselves around inside malls and stores but I resist because they're just kids. But if I saw a University student doing that I don't know if I could hold back.

Joshua Arson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smells Like Poor

How do they do that and still maintain anything resembling self-respect or dignity?

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Golf course wear in the office -- large, billowy polo shirts with sleeves that hang at the elbows; baggy pleated khakis; steel-tipped belt; practice swings during down time.

White socks.

Muscular dudes who wear tight clothes -- I'm with Jean Touitou on this one.

Untucked shirts that hang past the balls in the front and past the butt in the back.

The Thom Browne look -- A friend of mine tried on my suit once a few years back, and I remember laughing ****** off because it was so small on him. Who knew that he was being fashion forward? I guess after the baggy clothes trend of the 90s, the pendulum has swung to the other extreme.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads