• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Baroni Suit: First Impressions

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, tell us how the "slimmer" suit fits?
Pics?
I can not do low armholes.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
So, what is the verdict on the armholes?

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dclloyd
How's the fit of the Valentino's? Are they still big or do they really fit a slimmer profile?

its slimmer than the baroni which I ordered initially, but it still required tailoring.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Can anyone report on the Baroni and/or Valentino armholes? Anyone?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is a lawyer buying second hand or is the name an exaggeration?

Treat Gilchrist with reserve: He has some successful websites (and earners) but he is not an expert.

Originally Posted by Lawman
I've wanted a peak lapel single breasted suit for some time. Given the quality of suits I've grown used to buy purchasisng on Ebay, I simply am not ready to pay the MTM freight for an Oxxford or Hickey peak lapel item. So, I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase a solid navy peak lapel Baroni from ebay seller, the Wizard of Ahhhs.

The Baroni suits received a favorable review from Andy Gilchrist on AAAC, so I figured what the heck. The suit arrived yesterday, and I am really, really happy with it. The fabric (solid navy
150s) seems quite nice. The stitching looks unremarkable but solid. There is clearly canvas interlining running from the lapels down through the level of the bottom button. The lapels are nicely shaped and have some pretty nice looking pick stitching.

I purchased a 48L, which is my size in Oxxford and HF (this is mostly what I have hanging in my closet). It is a touch large, and will need some tailoring, especially waist suppression.

Viewed in a mirror, it looked to me like a high end suit. It did not look like a Joseph A. Bank level suit at all, with the caveat that I have never tried on a Signature Gold jacket.

After I get it tailored I would be happy to post pics if anyone is interested. Overall, I can't see how this can turn out to be a bad investment of $250.00.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

Treat Gilchrist with reserve: He has some successful websites (and earners) but he is not an expert.

If he does, I assume it perfectly safe to assume his ability to practice is devalued?

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

Why not? You don't gain wealth by throwing money away ... if you can find a decent second hand suit that fits you well, does it really matter?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

The Wizard of Aahs sells new-with-tags suits, not second-hand suits.

Having said that, though, I've never bought from him so I can't comment on the quality of Baroni or Marco Valentino suits. They do look nice in the auction pictures.

bdbb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dclloyd
Why not? You don't gain wealth by throwing money away ... if you can find a decent second hand suit that fits you well, does it really matter?

Absolutely correct. Starting salaries are 160k right now and even then I feel like $2-4k on a quality suit is a huge waste when I can get the same often near indistinguishable from a new suit for $200-$500. And when I resell that suit, I'll get most of that money back, whereas on a new suit you take a massive hit.

It's not really about being able to "afford" the cost of a new suit, it's that even if you make a lot of money, just throwing it away means you can't retire early or have as nice of a house.

Lawman

Reaction score
Exaggeration? Was that directed to me? I'm so confused.

Not that it makes any difference, but I am a lawyer, and have been for a good long while. I took a flyer on a suit that I had read about, and figured I could not go wrong for $250.00. The post was a PSA for those who shared my curiosity about these suits.

The guy I used to work for has made about $30 million in the last five years, and he wears Joseph A. Bank suits and Bass rubber soled wingtips. If you're suggesting that there is some kind of relationship between someone's taste in clothes and his professional abilities, or even his financial standing for that matter, I really have to question your intelligence.

That being said, I have purchased a number of very nice suits second hand from reliable sellers on Ebay, and count some of them among my favorites. And good Lord, I don't do it because I can't afford new ones.

Man, there's one in every crowd.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not that it makes any difference, but I am a lawyer, and have been for a good long while. I took a flyer on a suit that I had read about, and figured I could not go wrong for $250.00. The post was a PSA for those who shared my curiosity about these suits.

The guy I used to work for has made about $30 million in the last five years, and he wears Joseph A. Bank suits and Bass rubber soled wingtips. If you're suggesting that there is some kind of relationship between someone's taste in clothes and his professional abilities, or even his financial standing for that matter, I really have to question your intelligence.

That being said, I have purchased a number of very nice suits second hand from reliable sellers on Ebay, and count some of them among my favorites. And good Lord, I don't do it because I can't afford new ones.

You got it Lawman. I bought a beautiful Corneliani suit from a SFer second hand in my own short size and get nothing but compliments all day as I look like a $200K a year man in it. I could afford a new one but "I'm laughing all the way to the bank" especially Down Under which is total rip off area for O/S clothes.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

lifersfc

Reaction score
I have the Marco Valentino tuxedo. It fits slimmer, and the arm holes are medium-sized (not too low or too high) which is actually a good thing for me. The lapels are great and the jacket is clearly canvassed.

I find it to be a good value, but the construction does not stack up to other top makers I own (Isaia, Corneliani, Zegna). The trousers, in particular, are a bit on the weaker side. The clasp and waistband just don't quite get it done (but then I'm comparing to trousers like Incotex).

Assuming you can get the fit down, I would recommend buying...but do not expect miracles.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1
I am no high paid lawyer but boy do i love a good deal. Heck, now that i think about maybe i love a good deal cos i am no high paid lawyer!
boxing[1].gif

Regards.

mdg137

Reaction score
"Absolutely correct. Starting salaries are 160k right now ..."

wow-- starting salaries for attorneys not in their own private practice in these parts is on the low end, around 40k, and on the high end, around 90-110k...

If I could start at 160, Id start over from scratch!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads