• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic Cars on the Street

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I see it as similar to the earlier 300SEL 6.3 and the 450SEL 6.9--4 door cars that are generally indistinguishable other than a small trunk badge.

The other fast sleeper was the 450SLC 5.0 and the later 500SLC, which looked like an elongated R107 convertible series.

Hmmh, the cars you are referring to are S-Class and the W124 is from their middle range. It was not only about performance, it was a social class thing.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
No idea how exotic/rare this thing is, but it looks nice to my (uneducated) eyes.

zy6jp4.jpg

What is this?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
What is this?

A Studebaker Avanti, per wikipedia.

I too(?) thought it was a mod at first, since the location is a small town near Detroit.

scenesreplayed

Reaction score
if its not from the 50s or 60s whats the point? unless its an 80s ferrari with a macho man with a bushy mustache, then thats also noteworthy.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I too(?) thought it was a mod at first, since the location is a small town near Detroit.

I've always liked the Avanti, I'm just not particularly impressed with the car pictured. However they can be had for next to nothing, and still offer more style than the typical Accord or Camry.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was in Singapore for the weekend, spotted this guy at parking. Also neglected to take a photo of a 1976 refurbed Toyota Celica
frown.gif
dsc01116ln7.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone was driving a McLaren out of the departures lane at Dulles Airport this morning, it had Virginia plates. Too bad I didn't have my camera but other NoVa members take note that someone around here owns one of these things.

JB

dave

Reaction score

that's not a Studebaker. that's an Avanti II. they were made in the 80s and on and off through the 90s. they may be in production again too, who knows.

The Studebakers were GORGEOUS cars but the proportions on the continuation models are off just enough to make them look weird. from the square headlight pans to the fiberglass bumper surrounds they just lack the refinement of the original. they were built of the 80s GM F-body if that tells you anything.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
that's not a Studebaker. that's an Avanti II. they were made in the 80s and on and off through the 90s. they may be in production again too, who knows.

The Studebakers were GORGEOUS cars but the proportions on the continuation models are off just enough to make them look weird. from the square headlight pans to the fiberglass bumper surrounds they just lack the refinement of the original. they were built of the 80s GM F-body if that tells you anything.

Thanks, for the insight, I was wondering why the one pictured looked somewhat awkward when compared against models I've personally seen before.

jkw

Reaction score
I live in London so it's normal to see a lot of nice cars, and ocasionally some really rare exotics instead of the usual ferraris, lambos etc. mixed in with too many s-classes and 7-series. Seen a few Veyrons, and an Enzo about 5 years ago. Here's one of the more interesting cars I've seen. Parked in my friends garage, I will be surprised if anyone gets this one lol

rr2.jpg

rr1.jpg

And a couple blocks from my house. Saw a chrom lamborghini and some other interesting stuff driving around at gumball time. I recently found out their office is quite close to me, and I sometimes see a pink striped range rover too... not as cool

DSC03016.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is quite possibly the ugliest motor vehicle I've ever seen.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads