• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic Cars on the Street

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
64401585_b7d0b5df07.jpg

2450338566_1c29f327db.jpg

The Porsche-collaboration 500E:

2364387363_8edc200bbb.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
Exotic enough?
CIMG1233Caparo.jpg

Street or track? A T1 is seriously uncommon...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Porsche-collaboration 500E:
2364387363_8edc200bbb.jpg

Are you sure this was a collaboration with Porsche? I loved the car, when it came out. Niki Lauda was one of the first owners and he loved his and the successors.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Are you sure this was a collaboration with Porsche? I loved the car, when it came out.

Niki Lauda was one of the first owners and he loved his and the successors.

The 500E was Mercedes's response to the BMW M5. They collaborated with Porsche in the production, the car being wheeled back and forth from the Benz and Porsche factories--apparently it took 18 days to finish one car.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The 500E was Mercedes's response to the BMW M5. They collaborated with Porsche in the production, the car being wheeled back and forth from the Benz and Porsche factories--apparently it took 18 days to finish one car.

LK, interesting information. I cannot recall the involvement of Porsche in this project.

The E500 was not available with stick-shifting. So the MB might have been an answer to the M5, but dedicated to a quite different target group.

It was much more their response to the Image of the W124. Farmers and cab drivers with a 200D.

It was meant to be the "Wolf im Schafspelz". The first series was a look alike of the lame brothers. Only experts could identify the fenders and air intakes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"Wolf im Schafspelz".
Wolf in sheep's clothing?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Wolf in sheep's clothing?

I think fritzl means that E class sedans meant to compete with BMW's M series have always been sleepers.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason a lot of people around me have the 500E (I can think of 3 right now that drive one regularly). They say it is one of the best Mercedes made, and they refuse to switch to the newer models with inferior build quality.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
I think fritzl means that E class sedans meant to compete with BMW's M series have always been sleepers.

No
smile.gif

But there were people in Germany, mainly entrepreneurs, who wanted a car from MB, that looks like a 200D cab, with the power of a i.e. Porsche.

So they could spend their money and the average Joe(employee) wouldn't recognize, that "his" car is twice or triple prized.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No
smile.gif

But there were people in Germany, mainly entrepreneurs, who wanted a car from MB, that looks like a 200D cab, with the power of a i.e. Porsche.

So they could spend their money and the average Joe(employee) wouldn't recognize, that "his" car is twice or triple prized.

That's what I mean by a sleeper.
laugh.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brad
That's what I mean by a sleeper.
laugh.gif

Unfortunately, I didn't use urband for the correct translation. You got me on this.
tounge.gif

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I didn't use urband for the correct translation. You got me on this.
tounge.gif

Alles klar!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No
smile.gif
But there were people in Germany, mainly entrepreneurs, who wanted a car from MB, that looks like a 200D cab, with the power of a i.e. Porsche. So they could spend their money and the average Joe(employee) wouldn't recognize, that "his" car is twice or triple prized.

I see it as similar to the earlier 300SEL 6.3 and the 450SEL 6.9--4 door cars that are generally indistinguishable other than a small trunk badge. The other fast sleeper was the 450SLC 5.0 and the later 500SLC, which looked like an elongated R107 convertible series.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No idea how exotic/rare this thing is, but it looks nice to my (uneducated) eyes.

zy6jp4.jpg

vzdjwx.jpg

2din3mu.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics