• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate Bob Costas

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Costas may suck but no one shall ever eclipse Cris Collinsworth, the biggest douchebag motherfucker to ever pick up a microphone. I dread listening to him call a game.

Mike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Costas may suck but no one shall ever eclipse Cris Collinsworth, the biggest douchebag motherfucker to ever pick up a microphone. I dread listening to him call a game.

Yeah, he's bad, but I find Joe Buck to be even worse. Hey Joe, show a little emotion! They're running ads for Fox Baseball where they show highlights from last year's playoffs. Every big game {the All-Star Game, the ALCS, The actual world series} he is so dead pan at game's end. "and the Red Sox win the pennant...", "and the Red Sox are world champions..." Hearing all back to back, it all sounds like he'd rather be somewhere else and wants the whole thing to be done. Joe Buck is the worst announcer in the world.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Two words: Michael Phelps

In fact NBC specifically asked (i.e. told) the Beijing Olympics to hold the swimming events in the morning (prime time in North America) to boost the ratings because Americans want to see Phelps break Spitz' record and they want to watch live TV. It's worked great so far as the ratings are sky high for NBC and they've already more than made up the $1B they paid for the rights.

At any rate, that's it for swimming after this week and next week is all the track and field events, which won't be live since the events are not held in the morning.

Even without Phelps, swimming would still be a big draw since Americans tend to win a lot of the medals in those events. Same for the track and field.

Plus, the swimming events are short enough for excellent t.v. drama.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
he is such a smug little **** and really does not have a fundamental understanding of the games (particularly basketball and baseball) he broadcasts. He makes the Olympics unwatchable (not that they are that exciting to begin with). He sounds like he is ready to go down on Michael Phelps whenever he competes.
Agreed, except Costas does know baseball. IIRC, he played in the minor leagues at one time. I've never liked the attitude. Edit: I'm apparently wrong about Costas having played minor league baseball. At least there is no mention in the Costas bio on wikipedia.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
maybe it's because of familiarity over the years but I love Bob Costas...some reason I feel safe knowing he's involved in the sportscast

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
So what do you guys think of Dan Hicks?

I'm biased because I used to work with him and think he's a really good guy.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bob Costas looks a bit like Ari Gold.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've hated Costas for years. I never understood how the water boy on the high school golf team ever broke into the business. All you Joe Morgan haters best recognize.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
He is horrible calling games, working with Joe Morgan he is so far out of his league it's not even funny.

Joe Morgan is an idiot.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He is horrible calling games, working with Joe Morgan he is so far out of his league it's not even funny.
Do you remember Hank Greenwald? He was a long time SF Giants announcer who worked for the Yankees radio network for a couple of years. I really think he was the very best at calling a game that I have heard, or at least heard on a regular basis. We've been very lucky to have Greenwald, Lon Simmons, Joe Morgan, Greg Papa and Jon Miller on a regular basis over the years. All of them are top notch.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Agreed, except Costas does know baseball. IIRC, he played in the minor leagues at one time. I've never liked the attitude.

I find that exceedingly hard to believe.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
I remember that late night talk show he used to have after Letterman. Some of the interviews were pretty good.

The one that stands out for me was his interview of Marilu Henner. She claimed to be able to remember what she did on virtually any day throughout her life. So Costas asked her what she did on July 20, 1969, the date of the first moon landing. Momentarily flummoxed, she revealed it was the day she lost her virginity. Priceless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads