• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New J. Gilbert NST Aldens

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
I just picked up these cognac NST Alden shoes today from J. Gilbert Footwear in Seattle.

They are made of soft cognac calf, with Alden's Flex Welt construction.

These shoes were made up by Alden especially for J. Gilbert's store. This pair is the only size 11.5 D ever made in these shoes.

They fit great, and are my only pair of NST shoes right now. I had a pair of Tricker's Richmond NST shoes, but I sold them beause the shoes had too high an arch for my very flat feet.

I really like the color and design of these shoes.

J. Gilbert is doing some really nice Aldens with their special make-up program. I previously bought the Alden/J. Gilbert burgundy plain toe bluchers, and cognac wing tip bluchers, all done on the Plaza last. I am really delighted with all these shoes, as they look great and are super comfortable.

Jess

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Skyler
Are they Plaza or Aberdeen Last?
Plaza, they're very nice in person and very light. I wouldn't mind seeing a boot version.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sweet. My cordo NSTs on the Aberdeen remain one of my favorite shoes, despite competition from many more finely made items in my shoeseum.

Are these one of the ones that Alden of Carmel specs out for J. Gilbert?

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just bought whisky cordovan captoe bluchers on the Plaza last--I love 'em. I wish it was easier to get a pair like yours. NSTs on the Plaza last are hard to come by.

Skyler

Reaction score
jmonroestyle: how did you hear about these? I don't see them on the Alden of Carmel website - where J. Gilbert does a lot of their advert or on J. Gilbert's site, which is mostly Lucchese.

Great shoes. Really dig the cognac - so much nicer than the traditional tan split toe on the Aberdeen, a leather and finish which typically has all the character and depth of a pair of children's Crocs.

Superb choice.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jmonroestyle: how did you hear about these? I don't see them on the Alden of Carmel website - where J. Gilbert does a lot of their advert or on J. Gilbert's site, which is mostly Lucchese.
J. Gilbert is redoing their site from what I've been told. There are some other new styles in, I'll see if I can take a few phone pictures when I stop in this afternoon. The lineup for fall/winter's going to be pretty nice too, and Tom will have some good competition for our dollars.
smile.gif

Skyler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
There are some other new styles in, I'll see if I can take a few phone pictures when I stop in this afternoon.

Awesome.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Superb choice.

Thanks everyone!

Living in Seattle does have its advantages. Corey, of J. Gilbert lets me know which Alden shoes are coming in, and I tell him which ones I am interested in.

In order for me to buy an Alden shoe, it must be a blucher (for fitting reasons I must buy Grenson shoes for my bals), made from calf, on the Plaza or Copley last.

This time around I got lucky, as all the J. Gilbert special make-up shoes are on the Plaza last, and almost all of them are made from soft calf.

J. Gilbert told me he was looking to sell sleeker, lighter weight, Alden shoes. He thought this collection of design elements would be better suited to Seattle, and the West coast, than traditional Alden shoes, made on wider rounder lasts, with heavier construction, such as double soles.

He has a few more soft calf shoes coming in, which I am looking forward to buying, as well as some chukka and high boots for all you ankle boot wearers. There will also be a shoe and boot, cordovan option coming in, for the Alden cordovan shoe fans out there.

Jess

Skyler

Reaction score
Yes, but how does one see them if you don't live in Seattle?

Do they in fact have plans to re-do their website?

If what you say about them developing sleeker lines on the Plaza is true that would be the best news of the year.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Yes, but how does one see them if you don't live in Seattle?

Do they in fact have plans to re-do their website?

If what you say about them developing sleeker lines on the Plaza is true that would be the best news of the year.

Skyler,

You can call J. Gilbert and ask for Corey.

(206) 441-1182.

He will tell you what he has in the store, and on order from Alden. He will email you the photos of the Alden shoes/boots you are interested in.

Jess

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a cool idea, but they are even more expensive than regular Aldens. I believe they are all $400+ . It's getting scarily close to british makers, which I generally prefer.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It sounds like J.Gilbert is doing well. Nice store, I enjoyed my visit there.

jmonroestyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
This is a cool idea, but they are even more expensive than regular Aldens. I believe they are all $400+ . It's getting scarily close to british makers, which I generally prefer.
The J. Gilbert shoes do come in at a little higher price point than stock Alden shoes. In fact they are more money than my Grenson Rose collection shoes.

Since the wold of RTW shoes that will fit me is so small, I am delighted that there are some comfortable great looking Alden shoes to buy right here in Seattle. I already own all the stock Alden shoes that fit and interest me, as well as all the Grensons, so the only shoes left for me to still buy are these Alden special make-ups.

Even for people with less finicky feet than me, these Alden shoes offer a fit, comfort, and design, that is quite different than most mid-priced UK shoes.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just picked up another new makeup for J. Gilbert this afternoon. I had no intentions of buying any new wingtip boots anytime soon, but I wasn't going to pass up on a pair in soft calf leather on the flex welt.

alden_flex_wingtip_boots_1.jpg

alden_flex_wingtip_boots_2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads