• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Olympics

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Pools are definitely getting faster, and I think the suits help too.

Who was it last night on NBC that said "John McEnroe didn't play with the same tennis racquet they use now either." Good point. Technology advances. Race a 1960 F1 versus today's. Do the road race on a bike from 1930.

b

seanchai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omar1223
this is just not true. 33 of the first 36 medals that have been awarded in these olympics have gone to atheletes wearing the Speedo LZR racer suit. i read an article today in the paper that said that.
Ok, it was an anecdotal observation, but off the top of my head at least Kitajima and Pellegrini don't wear it. It seems the bluetwenty (supposedly actually faster than Speedo's creation, whatever that means) and the TYR/arena suits are working out for a lot of people, and the ones wearing the LZR are swimmers who would've medalled anyway. Not that that proves anything.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found it surprising that some male swimmers in the Olympics don't bother to wear a cap.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Who was it last night on NBC that said "John McEnroe didn't play with the same tennis racquet they use now either." Good point. Technology advances. Race a 1960 F1 versus today's. Do the road race on a bike from 1930.

b

Regarding tennis, I think it's a much more exciting sport when played with traditional tennis racquets. It's fine when it's accessible to everyone, but I don't think these speedo suits are. Of course, motorsport is different, in my opinion for most motorsports the technology is the star.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
I'd just like to say, that I've just watched the Korea versus Australia women's basketball game on a rerun. They may not all be good lookers, but god bless the Australians for outfitting them in lycra. What's more, I've just finished downloading a *** swapping scene with Alektra Blue - does life get any better?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
What's more, I've just finished downloading a *** swapping scene with Alektra Blue - does life get any better?

sounds like a good future Olympic event....along with long distance ejaculation

seanchai

Reaction score
I wish the anti-doping agencies weren't ten years behind the dopers. NO ONE looks like Bernard legally.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
I wish the anti-doping agencies weren't ten years behind the dopers. NO ONE looks like Bernard legally.

Seanchai, you seem to follow swimming. Which top swimmers are legal to you? Do you think phelps is doing it legally and were you surprised china went 1-2 in the women 200 fly?

seanchai

Reaction score
Number one swimming fan here.

Many swimmers don't appear to be on any performance enhancers: Kitajima, for instance, only cheats in the pool. I think Phelps is wholly legal; although his facial features indicate a really high level of HGH, his rise wasn't meteoric the way that Bernard's or Sullivan's or any of the Chinese have been. The things that make him great aren't things you can really produce with drugs, like extra-flexible ankles or tremendous lactic acid recovery.

Dara Torres is an interesting case - she's always been in the grey area of legality in terms of supplements since 2000, when she was the oldest in the pool as well. But plenty of great athletes have only gotten better into their forties... Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Jose Canseco...
devil.gif

The Chinese took up the doping mantle from the East Germans, winning everything in the mid-90s until they were caught, then disappearing for awhile and coming back to break an already impressive 200 fly record by over a second. We'll see how long they can dominate like that before they get caught again.

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
Number one swimming fan here. Many swimmers don't appear to be on any performance enhancers: Kitajima, for instance, only cheats in the pool. I think Phelps is wholly legal; although his facial features indicate a really high level of HGH, his rise wasn't meteoric the way that Bernard's or Sullivan's or any of the Chinese have been. The things that make him great aren't things you can really produce with drugs, like extra-flexible ankles or tremendous lactic acid recovery. Dara Torres is an interesting case - she's always been in the grey area of legality in terms of supplements since 2000, when she was the oldest in the pool as well. But plenty of great athletes have only gotten better into their forties... Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Jose Canseco...
devil.gif
The Chinese took up the doping mantle from the East Germans, winning everything in the mid-90s until they were caught, then disappearing for awhile and coming back to break an already impressive 200 fly record by over a second. We'll see how long they can dominate like that before they get caught again.

US women was never as dominantly as men, but I feel like except for couglin they are underperforming as they took the bronze behind AUS and CHN in the 4x200. Or is the world just catching up with some of the foreigners swimming in US college programs? I wonder when US is going to catch up in diving and events that they are weak at? Also, what do you mean by kitajima not on enhancers and only cheats in the pool? What sort of tricks do swimmers use at these competition? In the unlikely event that phelps somehow screws up and lochte is leading half a body with 25 to go, I hope he wins. Sick of all the fanatical focus on phelps though his performance speaks for itself. The focus of the epic race should have been on lezak, not as a subplot for the road to 10 gold medals or 8 golds in Beijing or whatever. lochte seems like a nice, but seriously competitive guy. Tanking a race for the glory of the country only happens to china, right? As a common man, I like the underdog.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Re: Kitajima cheating, here's a video of his illegal dolphin kick in Athens that won him the gold over Hansen:

It's a blatantly obvious DQ-worthy move, but the judges didn't call it. His stroke is much, much better this year than it was then, so his Beijing wins are legit.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
The new Olympic champion in the 100m free!
bane.jpg
oly_g_bernard_600.jpg

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Re: Kitajima cheating, here's a video of his illegal dolphin kick in Athens that won him the gold over Hansen:

It's a blatantly obvious DQ-worthy move, but the judges didn't call it. His stroke is much, much better this year than it was then, so his Beijing wins are legit.

Thanks. That just shows nobody is immune to cheating. I guess the threshold to cheating is proportional to one's talent.

SenorMatador

Reaction score
China had a pretty breakout day of swimming today.

Oh you know, coming out of nowhere with lowbrow swimmers to finish 1,2 in front of Jessica Schipper of AUS, the reigning world champion.
(Yes we know the Olympics is the place where Cinderella stories are written, but a 1-2 finish? No way)
OR their Women's 4x200 free relay. An unknown group of swimmers comes out to swim the entire race BELOW the old world record to take the silver. Surely they would have been noticed before.

China has been caught before.
They are known to hide swimmers from the international scene, and pull swimmers from finals of other meets where drug testing is routine.

But of course, being the communist machine that it is, they were probably handpicked from the age of three and taken away from their parents for a lifetime of training. Or they did it the BALCO way. Your pick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads