• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Isaia vs. Samuelsohn vs. Southwick - A female perspective.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, not _my_ female perspective. But feel free to dispense all the transgender jokes anyway.

So I recently took advantage of a 25% off thing and ordered three navy suits from STP: A solid Southwick 3B:
1036G_04

A Samuelsohn windowpane "nailhead" (that doesn't look much like a nailhead to me, but what do I know?):
89465_70

And a proper nailhead from Isaia

Isaia:
1047P_01

The intention was to keep one and send the others back. I dutifully tried them on for my wife and asked her which one she preferred. She was not told anything about the brands or the relative prices. And she said, "Oh definitely the last one. Much nicer than the other two."

Sometimes, having a wife with expensive taste can be a boon.

Oh, in another blind taste test recently, she gave the nod to my Scaforas over pairs of C&Js, AEs and EGs.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

dpw

Reaction score
grimslade;1231112 said:
No, not _my_ female perspective. But feel free to dispense all the transgender jokes anyway.

So I recently took advantage of a 25% off thing and ordered three navy suits from STP: A solid Southwick 3B:
1036G_04

A Samuelsohn windowpane "nailhead" (that doesn't look much like a nailhead to me, but what do I know?):
89465_70

And a proper nailhead from Isaia

Isaia:
1047P_01

The intention was to keep one and send the others back. I dutifully tried them on for my wife and asked her which one she preferred. She was not told anything about the brands or the relative prices. And she said, "Oh definitely the last one. Much nicer than the other two."

Sometimes, having a wife with expensive taste can be a boon.
Oh, in another blind taste test recently, she gave the nod to my Scaforas over pairs of C&Js, AEs and EGs.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
[/QUOTE

my wife can pick the most expensive item... mens, womens, even industrial products... 10 out of 10. an uncanny ability to spend money at the high end. must say, i agree with her about the isaia

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with her in general. Did she mention what she liked or disliked specifically?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dpw
my wife can pick the most expensive item... mens, womens, even industrial products... 10 out of 10. an uncanny ability to spend money at the high end. must say, i agree with her about the isaia

Oh, I did too. But better for her to say it.

Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
I agree with her in general. Did she mention what she liked or disliked specifically?

The fabric, the cut and the fit are all better. Not that she put it that way. It was the visceral reaction that interested me, anyway. I like the buttoning stance of the Sameulsohn a _little_ better (it's lower), but otherwise... The Southwick was fairly unlovable.

Originally Posted by rkw5000
Keep the Isaia.

Thanks, but this was never really in doubt. Mostly I needed the other two just to show myself I'd tried.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RichmondStyle
Do you mind telling us what you paid for each?

It was 25% off each, so about $375, $500 and $800 or so, IIRC. They're all 44Rs, in case anyone wants one of the other two.

Boy, "cheap" Isaias are really getting harder and harder to come by.
frown.gif

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i KNEW the Isaia would win.....
smile.gif
ha!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

Boy, "cheap" Isaias are really getting harder and harder to come by.
frown.gif

Nitro and Ehaberdasher are the way to go. Great selections and very fair prices.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Nitro and Ehaberdasher are the way to go. Great selections and very fair prices.

Thanks. I like Ben a lot
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
and have used him, but when I last checked he had but one in my size. And it was a horrible green color. For Nitr-o, his return policy is a killer for me, and except for the tuxedos, I rarely see his prices go much lower than STP's. I know that you can recall the days of $500-600 Isaie on STP; these days it seems fortunate when you can get them below four figures between the tightening of the coupon policies and the tanking dollar.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^^

Agreed, the days of $500 Isaia is over. The competition is fierce and the retial price is through the roof. I was at the Boca Raton Neiman's last week and almost passed out at the Fall retail prices. Isaia suits over $3k, Inco Sartoriale pants at $650 and Kiton and Brioni just ridiculous with Brioni dress shirts coming in at $550-$650.

Nitro does have beautiful suits. I've picked up few including some mohairs that are killer and he seems to get a nice rotation of new stuff. At this point, 65% is pretty good.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Rather mean to make the poor thing 'taste' your shoes!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
^^^^
Nitro does have beautiful suits. I've picked up few including some mohairs that are killer and he seems to get a nice rotation of new stuff. At this point, 65% is pretty good.

I should check out Nitr-o's stock more often. I just like the security blanket that STP and Ben give on returns. It can be hard to tell what a fabric is really like, for example, even if you know your sizing (which I do at this point). This nailhead was a nice surprise on the upside--it's better than I expected. But I've ordered others and known right away that the fabric wasn't what I wanted, and sent them right back. I know Nitro will do credits, and that sooner or later, I'd use the credit. It's psychological I think. Thanks again for the tip.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

No PROMISES, but we are once again in talks of getting in more Isaia in the future. Full disclosure: prices would be higher - but (hopefully) understandably so. I'll keep you all posted. We'll know more once Italy opens up again for business in September (ahhh, those Italians sure know how to relax and take some time off!)

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
By the way, I worked for Southwick (Grieco Brothers) a long time ago back in the early/mid 90's... OK suits, but simply cannot be compared to Isaia in terms of quality. Keep the Isaia!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads