• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art: looking to purchase "art", prints, posters, etc.

effang

Reaction score
Hi,

Just recently moved into an unfurnished apartment. Have some large walls that I need to cover with "art". i can't afford anything expensive, so prints, and posters will have to do.

for those experienced in purchasing these items, where do you shop? how do you get discounts? how much do you expect to pay?

i don't really understand the pricing behind some of these prints/posters. some of the prices seem ridiculous for a piece of paper, and it feels as if pricing is at the whim of the market.

for that matter, does anybody have any good recommendations?

thanks

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have some work available to show. Since I am no longer a full time artist, I would be willing to sell (photograph) prints for $50. PM me if you are interested.

On a side note, how would the people on the forum feel if we got a collaboration of artists on SF to do a "For Sale" thread of their art? Perhaps a mod could let me know if that would be against the rules outside of B&S forum.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Well, pricing is at the whim of the market. That's called capitalism.
But in terms of pricing differentials on prints/posters, it may have to do with the differences between those two terms. "Poster" generally refers to a reproduction made in unlimited numbers -- whether a poster of Jordan dunking or of a portrait of Niagra Falls, they'll keep running off copies so long as they can sell them.

The term "print", while sometimes indicating higher production values -- or just snootier attitudes -- may also be used to refer to one of a limited number of reproductions. For example, artists who produce photographs and lithographs may produce a finite number of reproductions of a particular work, each of which is usually numbered (e.g., #16 of 100). In general, the relatively scarcity of the limited prints will make them pricier than reproductions that are available in theoreticallly unlimited numbers.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy originals. Prints of paintings suck. I abhor them.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface

+1000

Go to an art school show and pick up at least some prints (etchings etc.) or cheap small pieces.

Hell, make your own.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
I also have some work available to show. Since I am no longer a full time artist, I would be willing to sell prints for $50. PM me if you are interested. On a side note, how would the people on the forum feel if we got a collaboration of artists on SF to do a "For Sale" thread of their art? Perhaps a mod could let me know if that would be against the rules outside of B&S forum.
Good suggestion.
Originally Posted by antirabbit
+1000 Go to an art school show and pick up at least some prints (etchings etc.) or cheap small pieces. Hell, make your own.
Another good suggestion. I've been selling my work since I was 16. It's been infrequent since then, but when I started to sell, it was mainly at school art shows.

James Gatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface

I couldn't agree more. Nothing is worse than walking into someone's apartment and seeing a bunch of framed prints on the walls. Well, things are certainly worse, but I'm speaking strictly in the realm of this thread.

I started collecting paintings by going to local arts festivals. If I saw someone's work I really liked I'd pick something out and make a point of taking some time to talk to the artist. I have yet to meet an artist who isn't genuinely happy to discuss his or her stuff and make a sale or two.

You could also go to some smaller local galleries and see what's for sale there.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rule Number One: Unless you are seriously investing, buy what you like, not what others tell you to like. Some of my favorite pieces are worth FAR less than pieces I didn't care for at art shows.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're just looking to cover a lot of wall, I recently put up a rasterbated image that was licensed under Creative Commons.

effang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Well, pricing is at the whim of the market. That's called capitalism.
But in terms of pricing differentials on prints/posters, it may have to do with the differences between those two terms. "Poster" generally refers to a reproduction made in unlimited numbers -- whether a poster of Jordan dunking or of a portrait of Niagra Falls, they'll keep running off copies so long as they can sell them.

The term "print", while sometimes indicating higher production values -- or just snootier attitudes -- may also be used to refer to one of a limited number of reproductions. For example, artists who produce photographs and lithographs may produce a finite number of reproductions of a particular work, each of which is usually numbered (e.g., #16 of 100). In general, the relatively scarcity of the limited prints will make them pricier than reproductions that are available in theoreticallly unlimited numbers.

Informative, thanks.

That's interesting about the prints vs posters. Sure, prints have limited runs, but...what's to stop them from putting out another run of prints? I guess that's the confusing part. I mean, those Andy Warhol prints you see everywhere, those are prints, but they seem to have infinite print runs/copies?

I guess...I just don't really understand the pricing. I would imagine pricing would be like this: material, size, quality of print, licensing, but it often feels like this...licensing, everything else...

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they print multiple times, they become "editions." At this point the pricing is based on both number within each edition and which edition you have purchased.

Don't buy into mass produced art reproductions. There are many fine artists out there who would LOVE to sell their original work for very reasonable prices. You just have to look a little harder than going to art.com and buying a poster.

It's hard to see a lot of the work that's out there because for galleries, it's all about business. Taking a chance on a no name artist is risky most of the time (they usually have to come highly recommended from someone "in the know").

But I agree with art festivals (even though you will have to wade through tons of crap) and college art shows (usually another ton of crap to wade through), you will find some gems here and there.

It's much more satisfying to know what you're getting, where it comes from and to know you have something unique.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery

It's much more satisfying to know what you're getting, where it comes from and to know you have something unique.

That's a very good point. Some of my favorite pieces of pottery are made by a North Dakota artist who gets all her clays from in-state. The base clay is from a huge deposit and is also used to make high quality bricks, and her glazes are all from clays she finds simply by driving around with 5-gallon buckets and digging on the sides of roads. I love her sense of aesthetics, and that really is the main reason I buy from her, but the fact that she goes to all this trouble -- and that each batch of glazes is unique and idiosyncratic -- is the icing on the cake.

JayTuk

Reaction score
Try buying some stuff online. You could look at loads of art pretty quick rather than going to an art gallery someplace further than you want to travel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads