• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian University help

danyllau

Reaction score
For UBC, Direct entrance to 1st year Commerce is a SPECIAL program, so it can selective ( it's an accomplishment to a certain degree but i don't think it means much). The normal route is 1st year arts or whatever and then transfer to commerce 2nd year, think cut off around 73% when i was still in school. Most of the eventual commerce ppl are not from this group.

Also, having tutor a few years ago.. i think marks are so inflated now, you can be worry about not getting in above 90%, but then everyone has 90+%.... UBC only counts the best 4 provincials before lol.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
Seem feasible? I know that the TD Bank CEO went to University of Toronto and got an Arts degree before magically going to Harvard. Times are different now, but would it be at all possible to go along slightly the same path?

Yes, definitely. Get a good job after you graduate (or join the military -- no joke, B-schools and investment banks love ex-Military guys), kick the GMAT's ass and write a great admissions essay, and you should be set in terms of getting into a great MBA program.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
That says more about you than Windsor. Congrats.

Ha ha, I will concede that point. I don't know anyone who graduated with a 3 year B.A. that ended up in the job I started with, especially considering I had no paid experience. It is certainly rare but to quote David Spade in Tommy Boy, I "could sell a Ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves" at a job interview. LOL.

But in all seriousness, yes, University is what you make of it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
Yes, I do ensure you that this individual in the original post did not get in. I know of another person who had a 92 average that didn't get into UBC Commerce. I could see why he/she didn't get in if he/she (92 person) had no extracurriculars. However, the person I described in the original post did have extracurriculars, and strong ones at that - which makes her situation that much more befuddling.

Who knows? Maybe her applications were ****?

Don't judge yourself against her.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UBC commerce is highly selective - do a little bit of research:
For 2006-07 BCOM at UBC (Vancouver Campus)
- applicants 4248
- admits 777
- registrants 566
Minimum admission average was 84% but there were likely supplementary requirements for admssion in addition to a good average
Source: BCHEADset.com
Table: Applicants, Admissions, and Registrants by Program of Study & Minimum GPA Required

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the idea of 3-year college degree in Canada, is it supposed to be one step above community college degree?

danyllau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
- applicants 4248
- admits 777
- registrants 566
Minimum admission average was 84% but there were likely supplementary requirements for admssion in addition to a good average
Table: Applicants, Admissions, and Registrants by Program of Study & Minimum GPA Required

That's after 1st year i think, not actually very selective, . Direct entry to 1st year commerce is very different in UBC, b/c they don't really specialize till 2nd or 3rd year in UBC you mostly start 1st at BA, BSc, BApSc(engineering).

Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I don't understand the idea of 3-year college degree in Canada, is it supposed to be one step above community college degree?

Maybe it's because they used to have Grade 13 in Ontario, so they have one extra high school year but not anymore i think..

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
- applicants 4248
- admits 777
- registrants 566

I take it you go to UBC.

Please, don't make acceptance rates the focal point of selectivity, because UBC Commerce is not as selective as schools like Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown and the University of Chicago just because it has a lower acceptance rate. In a vacuum, acceptance rates prove very little.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danyllau
That's after 1st year i think, not actually very selective, . Direct entry to 1st year commerce is very different in UBC, b/c they don't really specialize till 2nd or 3rd year in UBC you mostly start 1st at BA, BSc, BApSc(engineering).

That was for all years - but your point is wrong: First year applications/admissions/registrations are the bulk of what I cited above:
- Applicants 3140
- Admits 589
- Registrants 390
Upper years are:
- Applicants 1108
- Admits 188
- Registrants 176

Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I take it you go to UBC.

Please, don't make acceptance rates the focal point of selectivity, because UBC Commerce is not as selective as schools like Cornell, Northwestern, Georgetown and the University of Chicago just because it has a lower acceptance rate. In a vacuum, acceptance rates prove very little.

No, I'm not at UBC but a little research can show what their practices are. For instance, the OP suggested that someone with a 90+ grade couldn't get in and the ensuing posts suggested that UBC was not a quality school or their program wasn't selective. I've simply provided some evidence that suggests that (1) gpa alone is not the only factor in admssion as they admitted down to 84%; and, (2) the program has its pick of many potential and probably excellent students. My guess is that gpa is far from the only measure that factors into their selectivity.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart

In Canada we don't use the word College and University interchangeably so there is no 3 year College degree. University and College are regarded very differently. 3 year University degree is a Bachelors degree, 4 years is an Honours Bachelors degree.

Histrion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
In Canada we don't use the word College and University interchangeably so there is no 3 year College degree. University and College are regarded very differently. 3 year University degree is a Bachelors degree, 4 years is an Honours Bachelors degree.

And even there... that's for English-Canada. QuÃ
00a9.png
bec is different. We love being different.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Histrion
And even there... that's for English-Canada. QuÃ
00a9.png
bec is different. We love being a pain **********.

Fixed it for you. Ha ha...

danyllau

Reaction score
That was for all years - but your point is wrong: First year applications/admissions/registrations are the bulk of what I cited above:
- Applicants 3140
- Admits 589
- Registrants 390
Upper years are:
- Applicants 1108
- Admits 188
- Registrants 176

Nevermind. Just a few years back, UBC just first started to accept like 150 1st year commerce student link.. And the rest are only from later years. Guess they now mainly offer 4yr program from first year. UBC is so much bigger and expensive now after the tuition freeze lol.

rents

Reaction score
I know universities use to judge your marks based on what high school you went to as well. So that may be a reason she didnt get into UBC.

I dont think they are supposed to do it anymore, but im sure it still happens. Every town has there jock high school where all the junior hockey players go because it is easier, and obviously a 90% average from there is not going to be as good as 90% average from a better school.

VINSON

Reaction score
I recently (May08) graduated from UBC and I'm from Vancouver.

OP: What junior banking program was your friend in? I've never heard of such a program in Vancouver.

UBC is decently competitive but I would rate the job prospects from the school (not by the merit of individuals, which is seperat) is quite low for BCom in terms of well paying jobs immediately out of undergrad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads