• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which martial art is most effective for self defense?

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
hk-p7-2.jpg

Ah jeeze, not this gun kata crap again!

sly.gif

Shraka

Reaction score

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Really I mention the story because it is a real world example of a knife being drawn. What I hate about Eidolon is that he speaks in such ******* absolutes. Stating that all knife fights end in hospitals and death or nobody can ever hope to handle a man with a knife is just such complete bollocks.
In the real world there are many intangibles, a fact that is lost on Eidolon and his ilk.

All that said, knives are obviously dangerous and are not something I ever want to **** with. I hope I don't come across as taking them or violence in general too lightly.

I've had two "knife" incidents. The first of which was in the often discussed bar, where a presumably buzzed guy thought it prudent put his steak knife (he had food at the bar) to my face/neck. To this day I don't know why he decided it, we hadn't talked or had any interaction. Perhaps it was the woman I was talking to - maybe he was frustrated and wanted to talk with her too.

Regardless, before I could really ascertain what I was doing, I had grabbed his knife/wrist hand and gave him a basic wrist throw. I held him in that position on the ground (the knife dropped as I rotated his wrist) and demanded that he "be cool." He apologized and said we were cool. I left the scene immediately so don't know what happened after that.

The second time was a bit more serious where a crackhead/street bum produced a knife from his bum-jacket (don't recall if it was fully canvassed or not) and came towards me. I suspect he was nuts and saw my walking on his street as a threat. Fortunteatly he pulled the knife a good 8-10 feet in front of me, so I saw it, and was able to plan a reaction. A basic disarm slap (learned it from hopkido, but its a common move) where I slap the outside of the hand, and the inside of the wrist - forcing the hand to open while thrusting the object sideways. Worked like a charm. He stood there trying to figure out what happened, as I quickly moved on.

Only once have I seen a knife be used in a truely threating way (not towards me) and my instinct was to create as much space as possible between me and the nutcase with the butterfly knife.

P.S. the saying about knife fighting from my kali teacher was "The winner goes to the hospital, the loser goes to the morgue."

I've heard this from from several people. I wonder if it came from the same book as "all fights end up on the ground." I don't mean any disrespect, but it does seem a bit like Escrima swagger to me.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
although, one problem with arnis is that they have been known to teach special "non-lethal" knife moves that have gotten idiots to try them out in situations that they really shouldn't have.

i am not sure on this point, the guru is teacjing me arnis currently told me that arnis is style that teaches one how to kill. it could just be my that instructor is overly violent, but the limit experience i have with martial art seems to lead me believe him. bt i guess it could depend upon the intstructor and the style taught.

sayaret

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
Regardless, before I could really ascertain what I was doing, I had grabbed his knife/wrist hand and gave him a basic wrist throw. I held him in that position on the ground (the knife dropped as I rotated his wrist) and demanded that he "be cool." He apologized and said we were cool. I left the scene immediately so don't know what happened after that.

very, very classy, no sarcasm intended.

Doc4

Reaction score

beirut

Reaction score
I train about 45 hours a week in Muay Thai and BJJ. I've found in mixed competition that the best defensive school (at least, hardest for me to attack well) was Akido. The Akido art originated as a means to disable multiple armed (swords) opponents. It's almost completely defensive, and useful in real world situations where you have multiple harassers.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beirut
I train about 45 hours a week in Muay Thai and BJJ. I've found in mixed competition that the best defensive school (at least, hardest for me to attack well) was Akido. The Akido art originated as a means to disable multiple armed (swords) opponents. It's almost completely defensive, and useful in real world situations where you have multiple harassers.

The usefulness of aikido is going to be highly dependant on the school your training in and their specific approach to aikido, which can range to completely self defense, practical application focused to pretty much something more similar to a cooperative dance then a martial art.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beirut

45 hours a week?? are you training to become an mma fighter or something?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
45 hours a week?? are you training to become an mma fighter or something?

That's in addition to working 150 hours a week, because THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES TO BECOME A SUCCESS.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Do You Want To Be A Fuckin Fighter?

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
The usefulness of aikido is going to be highly dependant on the school your training in and their specific approach to aikido, which can range to completely self defense, practical application focused to pretty much something more similar to a cooperative dance then a martial art.

+1000!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78

Isn't this pretty much true of any martial art?

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised no has yet mentioned pencak silat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads