• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fitting a Suit to Your Body Type

beirut

Reaction score
Hello SFers!

I'm currently in the process of transforming myself from a rag wearing college student into a well-dressed, well spoken academic, but I've run into some problems along the way. After lurking in The Forum for a few weeks I've learned a great deal about suit materials, construction, and styles, but I still don't understand how to pair suit features to my body type.

I'm 6'1", but I weigh only 122lbs. I guess you can say I'm a bit "skeletal." Is it stylish for me to appear tall and skinny, or should I try to avoid elongating my form further? What type of shirt collar, button height, lapel width, tie width, and other suit features would complement my slim form to accomplish this (why? I really want to learn)?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Jesus eat something.

Orange

Reaction score
There's only so much clothing can do for you. The problem I see here is that it is doubtful that any designers design clothing for people of such a small niche. At least for mens designers, you might have more luck with womens clothing.
confused.gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds truly disgusting. Talk to arnach, he's a body builder with a drop of 4 though and can help.

beirut

Reaction score
My body type is caused by a rather severe case of Crohn's disease, so it isn't changing any time soon. Actually, I eat 8 large meals a day to keep this "bulky" size.
tounge.gif

I'm willing to go MTM, if not bespoke, to find a suit that fits. My problem right now is that I don't know what features would complement my shape going into it. I LOVE three piece suits, although it's still unclear to me whether they are a fashion faux pas or not, but I'm not sure if a vest would contrast my body type too much. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beirut
Hello SFers!

I'm currently in the process of transforming myself from a rag wearing college student into a well-dressed, well spoken academic, but I've run into some problems along the way. After lurking in The Forum for a few weeks I've learned a great deal about suit materials, construction, and styles, but I still don't understand how to pair suit features to my body type.

I'm 6'1", but I weigh only 122lbs. I guess you can say I'm a bit "skeletal." Is it stylish for me to appear tall and skinny, or should I try to avoid elongating my form further? What type of shirt collar, button height, lapel width, tie width, and other suit features would complement my slim form to accomplish this (why? I really want to learn)?

1. start eating.
2. talk to some trainer about bulking up.
3. in the mean while, stay away from anything that makes you appearing tall and skinny.
4. Shirt collar should compliment your face shape, which I would've guessed very pointy and bony, so spread collar could round it down a bit.
5. button stance should be set slightly higher, lapel should appear wider with lower gorge to give you some chest.

how would you go about buying a suit that fits you is going to be a major problem...

estevener

Reaction score
I think 3pc is too strong of a statement to make coming fresh out of college, although it will give you some width.
Pinstripes are probably out for you, but why not go for a microherringbone or nailhead, a small pattern for your first navy/grey suit.

For your specific needs you'd probably be best going straight for bespoke, it sounds unlikely that MTM will be able to suit your unique physique best. I'd check out Mytailor.com or WW Chan. mytailor does make it easier to get your orders online though.

Orange

Reaction score
If you do go the route of bespoke I'd advise you to go to the ones recommended in Hong Kong. They probably have had their fair share of slim clientele and would be used to making suits for a similar body type.

fusherino

Reaction score
a guitar euthusiast was just telling me about kalamazoo guitars today. anyways, i am confident you can find something off the rack to fit you reasonably well. my brother was about 125 lbs when he started wearing suits, albiet a few inches shorter. he was shopping in the nordstroms boys section. i dont know what will work best, but i image youhave to go try things on in person. or maybe look for somethign from dior from bluefly? good luck

overdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fusherino
a guitar euthusiast was just telling me about kalamazoo guitars today. anyways, i am confident you can find something off the rack to fit you reasonably well. my brother was about 125 lbs when he started wearing suits, albiet a few inches shorter. he was shopping in the nordstroms boys section. i dont know what will work best, but i image youhave to go try things on in person. or maybe look for somethign from dior from bluefly? good luck

I don't know about that. I am 6'2, about 165 and I have a hard enough time to find something off the rack in my size. The OP sounds like he would need something like a 34L or 36L, and they just don't make those.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of rules attempting to match fits and styles to body types. It matters much more that something fits right.

Anyway, a lot of rules just seem plain wrong to me. Larger fellows are often told they should wear longer, narrower point collars. The result is usually pretty egregious. I suspect a secret coalition of men's fashion magazines and menswear salespeople come up with these things.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm very sorry to hear you're struggling with Crohns.

A few suggestions:

Be comfortable with your body shape. Make the most of what you have and don't bother with vain or impossible wishes for something else.

Try spread collars

Avoid pinstripes and other striped patterns--they'll make you look even taller and skinnier

Look for fabrics with some texture and pattern. This goes for everything.

Wear nice shoes. They'll make everything look better. Polish them frequently!

Wear clothes that really fit. Baggy clothes will make you look even skinnier.

Given your height and weight, you probably will need MTM clothing. Find a good men's shop and work with a competent salesman.

If you can afford Italian shirts, manufacturers like Barba may work well for you--lots of Italian shirts are very trim. Try shopthefinest.com.

Good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads