• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help fitting in Alden shoes

canoe

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

For a month or so, I've been trolling this forum reading up the insightful comments on shoes. Thanks!

When I got my tax rebate check, I decided to spend it on a couple of good American shoes. (Hey, just doing my part!) So, the obvious choice was to go for AE and Alden. Being in Silicon Valley, and not much in a need of a dress shoe, I decided on AE Wilbert and am now trying to figure out between Alden All Weather Walker (AWW) and Mocc Oxford with Vibram sole (Mocc).

When I got the Wilbert I got it in size 10 1/2 E, but it turned out to be a bit tight on the toes. So, we had to get it stretched a bit (the AE people where VERY helpful on this). Now it feels really comfortable, nice and snug.

I tried out an Alden AWW in 9 1/2 EE, and it also seems to be a bit tight on the left toe. Then I tried out the Alden Mocc in 9 1/2 EEE and it seems really comfortable and light although I get an uneasy feeling that my toes are not really touching any of the upper leather. So, the question is: should I get the AWW and have it stretched or go for the Mocc. (I like the look of Mocc better, and the price is $200 less.)

Will appreciate any guidance.

tlmusic

Reaction score
If you are near San Francisco have you visted the Alden Shop on Sutter Street? I have not been there personally, but have mail ordered shoes from them. It seems like that could be a great place to figure out your best fit for Alden. The sales staff at the Alden Shop have always been cordial. They seem to have an extensive inventory. Maybe others here can share their experiences, or recommend other options.

You must be the one to decide if a pair of shoes truly fit you. You cannot always go on the opinions of salesmen. Listen to your own feet. There have been various stories on this forum of guys buying shoes for reasons such as the salesman told them that Presidents wear that model, or maybe because their girlfriend told them the shoes look great. But sometimes those same guys moan about the shoes hurting their feet, because they really were not the right size or last.

There really is no substitute for trying on a bunch of shoes until you have the fit nailed down. Good luck!

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
If you are near 'Frisco, have you visted the Alden Shop on Sutter Street? I have not been there personally, but have mail ordered shoes from them. It seems like that could be a great place to figure out your best fit for Alden. The sales staff at the Alden Shop have always been cordial. They seem to have an extensive inventory. Maybe others here can share their experiences, or recommend other options.

The guys at Alden Shop are great! I bought two pairs of shoes there and some belts and they are very helpful.

However, don't say "frisco" within earshot, because that could change things.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You must be the one to decide if a pair of shoes truly fit you. You cannot always go on the opinions of salesmen. Listen to your own feet. There have been various stories on this forum of guys buying shoes for reasons such as the salesman told them that Presidents wear that model, or maybe because their girlfriend told them the shoes look great. But sometimes those same guys moan about the shoes hurting their feet, because they really were not the right size or last.

There really is no substitute for trying on a bunch of shoes until you have the fit nailed down. Good luck!

+1

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you ever been sized on the Brannock (the metal size guage)? Do that first. Aldens either run true or 1/2 larger in length in my experience.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Yeah. Never ever say Frisco in San Francisco.

Not even sure why I wrote "Frisco"! Years ago I lived in the Upper Haight.

mimile

Reaction score
'although I get an uneasy feeling that my toes are not really touching any of the upper leather'

Now please tell us, why is feeling important for you?

canoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mimile
'although I get an uneasy feeling that my toes are not really touching any of the upper leather'

Now please tell us, why is feeling important for you?

The toes feel a bit 'abandoned' being all by themselves out there. Sort of what someone else described on this forum as the feet feeling they are 'swimming' in the shoes.

Wasn't sure if this would be a problem in the long run, that's why I am seeking guidance from the forum members.

canoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
have you ever been sized on the Brannock (the metal size guage)? Do that first. Aldens either run true or 1/2 larger in length in my experience.

Yes, the AE folks measured and they suggested 10 1/2 E.

The 9 1/2 in Aldens feel quite good length wise. The issue is just with the width.

canoe

Reaction score

Thanks. I think the modus operandi will now be: "If they don't feel good, don't buy 'em".

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
I have the Alden AWW. It is built on the Barrie last which runs very large. I find it a very comfortable shoe, although I had to put inner soles in mine. I like argyle socks and they are thicker than most of my other socks. As the shoe is plainer than most of my other shoes, it works out well for me.

For a plain shoe, I think the pebble grain and the plantation rubber soles add some interest.

Good luck, Jim.

canoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JimInSoCalif
I have the Alden AWW. It is built on the Barrie last which runs very large. I find it a very comfortable shoe, although I had to put inner soles in mine. I like argyle socks and they are thicker than most of my other socks. As the shoe is plainer than most of my other shoes, it works out well for me.

For a plain shoe, I think the pebble grain and the plantation rubber soles add some interest.

Good luck, Jim.

Thanks, Jim.

That's probably why, based on the recommendation of the sales person, I had to come down 1 size for the AWW. Now the only issue is the width. I do see that TheShoeMart has the WelterWeight in size EEE (not available for the AWW), so I'll consider trying one. The alternative would be to go with the EE and stretch the left shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads